running outside in winter... in WISCONSIN

Options
Hi! I live outside of Milwaukee, and I live in a great running neighborhood so I love to run outside. This is what happens to me EVERY YEAR:

1)springtime: gets warm; I am so pumped to run outside it's all i do, i freaking love it and life is great
2)summer: gets crazy hot/humid, I still love running outside so I'll still do it, although not as hard as in spring
3)fall: perfect running weather for me, this is always when I seem to get in a groove for my workouts and my runs are probaby my strongest around this time
4)WINTER: tons of snow, temperatures in the negatives with windchill, etc. I love winter, but I have never been able to run in it. My lungs always feel like they are on fire and when i sweat it freezes. I may run once outside all winter, and so i always gain weight. :(

SO... I was wondering if there are any other people out there that run in this kind of climate, and if so, HOW??? :) any tips on the proper clothing, etc? Or what do you do instead, just run at the gym?

thanks!!

Replies

• melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    I'm in Wisconsin too! We just talked about this today :D

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/330920-running-in-the-winter

Then I found this guy's Youtube and it's what I'm going to do. I'm not going to be stuck on the treadmill all winter!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eC5toC0vms

edit: it's not in the video but Yaktrax for the shoes!!
  • natskedat
    natskedat Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Try a different sport like snow-shoeing or cross country skiing. Look for local tracks and trails. You'll get an amazing workout, learn a new sport, and you won't be fighting the season! Heck, you might even find that there's a pretty active group of snow-sporters out there ready for some new fanatics.
  • GiuliaShakespeare
    Options
    BUMP oh my goodness, I live in Minnesota and winter is TERRIBLE. I'll have to come back and read these tips later!
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I live in PA. We get all kinds of weather. Heck, last week we had an earthquake, a hurricane/tropical storm and tornadoes (two warnings for our town!). Anyway... I do run all year round now and it's definitely the way to go because before, when I didn't run year round, not only did I gain winter weight but also lost all my running progress. Every Spring I would have to start all over. Not fun. So, get yourself some winter running gear (underarmour is fantastic... expensive as all get out but still fantastic!) and if it's icy or a blizzard, run on the treadmill. Personally I avoid the treadmill as much as I can because I just can't run as long on it as I can outside. Oh and as far as "lungs on fire", try breathing into your scarf if it's really, really cold.
  • merB89
    merB89 Posts: 122
    Options
    yeah! I'm in Madison and I always run into this problem (pardon the pun :laugh: ). But yak tracks seem like a great idea. As for the tight lungs, I definitely get that. I try and have something around my neck and warm stuff around my core mostly. Once I'm done and get inside I try and take a hot shower and drink some hot tea and thats helped me get rid of that nasty "breathing cold air" cough/tightness
  • doobabe
    doobabe Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    LOl I live in northern WI so Im in the same boat..... well that and I live "in the country" where it isnt always so fun to run outside to begin with... my favorite is when your eyes start to water from the -30 wind and it freezes to your face..... FUN STUFF

I run on my treadmill in the winter- I am a wimp and I dont like to be cold AT ALL..... But I do weights also.

You could always try work out videos or add weights or an elliptical? Good luck to you :o)
  • LordRahl
    LordRahl Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    In Prince George, BC, Canada, during winter the local coliseum opens the doors to seniors that want to walk and runners to run around inside. Perhaps try the local indoor staduim if you have one in town.

Otherwise I run with winter treads that pull on over my shoes for traction and wear a bandana over my mouth to allow the air to warm up before hitting my lungs. You do not get the same speed and have to watch your footing but it is something.
  • mea9
    mea9 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I'm in Canada so we have winter... Layer your clothes. I had a teacher, back in the day, who did what he called snow trudging. You can wear heavy boots (adds to the workout) and "trudge" through the snow. It's a workout.
  • run4_ever
    Options
    Hey there!

I am originally from MN and love running in winter. Everyone's different, but for me I would wear a thermal shirt (Asics Thermopolis-we always shop at roadrunnersports.com), vest, thermal pant, and my Gore-Tex windproof pant over them and YakTraks. I would also were a polar fleece half face mask (I found it at a sport store - in MN it was Dunham's). The coldest I went outside was -20. My problem is that I get warm way to fast so it's easier for me the colder it is. Here in CO I feel like I could die. LOL
    My husband, though, started snowshoeing during winter to XT because he didn't love it as much as me. Good luck!
  • quitmakingexcuses
    quitmakingexcuses Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    I live in Alaska and was just thinking about the same exact thing. Thanks for posting!
  • pokyfamily
    Options
    I've lived in Green Bay and now Idaho and run all the way through the winter. I love snowy runs as long as the ice isn't too bad. When I dress for a cold run, I use Under Armour bottoms and tops, then light pants over the bottoms. My favorite is HornyToad from REI. I don't wear any outer wear on top during the run because I get too hot. Or else I start with it and shed it and then run back to it or whatever. But it's very important to have a super thin but warm running hat to cover your ears. Don't take it off no matter how hot your head is. Shed layers elsewhere before shedding the hat. I find that to be the best temperature regulator. Spending lots of money on these items is key as they will last a long time. Then...you need mittens or gloves that are for hiking/trekking or winter climbing. Very thin and I love the kind that are gloves with an overlayer for mittens, all thin, thin, thin. Socks are very important to be that anti-sweat wool. The kind with the kokopelli doll on it are the best, I forget the name because my brand names have all worn off. I wear regular running shoes and can't do the trax things as they make my gait funky. I just look for trails that were shoveled, or run on trails with snow for gripping. It is also important to have a jacket available as soon as your done your run as you will have chilly spots. I mostly struggle with two toes that go numb at times, and often my tongue will go numb. When that happens, I walk for two minutes and then run again. It's important to pay attention to your body temp and be responsive.
  • alise_lmx
    alise_lmx Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I'm in Wisconsin too! We just talked about this today :D

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/330920-running-in-the-winter

Then I found this guy's Youtube and it's what I'm going to do. I'm not going to be stuck on the treadmill all winter!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eC5toC0vms

edit: it's not in the video but Yaktrax for the shoes!!

thanks for the link! i should have searched the forums before posting :)
  • alise_lmx
    Options
    thanks for the help everyone! i will definitely check out all the clothes you all suggested and hopefully buy some soon. I used to hate spending money on workout stuff so i don't have any of this. Now I kind of like to buy stuff because it motivates me to run. I'm sure that i will still have to use the treadmill, but I'm hoping that I can keep running outside at least some of the time!

happy running to you all :)
  • alise_lmx
    Options
    Try a different sport like snow-shoeing or cross country skiing. Look for local tracks and trails. You'll get an amazing workout, learn a new sport, and you won't be fighting the season! Heck, you might even find that there's a pretty active group of snow-sporters out there ready for some new fanatics.

good idea - my dad cross country skis and he would probably love it if I went with him! I may have to add that in to my routine.
  • alise_lmx
    Options
    In Prince George, BC, Canada, during winter the local coliseum opens the doors to seniors that want to walk and runners to run around inside. Perhaps try the local indoor staduim if you have one in town.

Otherwise I run with winter treads that pull on over my shoes for traction and wear a bandana over my mouth to allow the air to warm up before hitting my lungs. You do not get the same speed and have to watch your footing but it is something.

you just reminded me, we have an winter olympic training center with a track around the ice rinks, maybe i can check it out for the REALLY cold days. thanks!
  • PlunderBunneh
    PlunderBunneh Posts: 1,705 Member
    Options
    Gah, I remember my lungs burning just while walking to the bus stop when I lived in Milwaukee. I used to wrap a scarf around my mouth, felt like I was suffocating but at least it didn't hurt as much to breathe. Good luck!
  • Reinahf06
    Options
    I live in Maine so I can totally understand the cold winters, unfortunately I seem to have the same problem as you do...I love running in the fall and really get into a groove just in time for it to get freezing and for my lungs to start burning with the frigid weather. Unfortunately my solution is to run on the treadmill which I dont particularly like..so I also tend to gain weight. Maybe we can motivate each other to run inside this winter?? ( I havent been able to come up with any tips for outdoor winter running...sorry)