Atkins Advantage Protein Shakes. Should I?

Options
I'm going to the grocery store today to buy shakes that are high in protein, low in carbs and sugar. I have seen alot of recommendations on here but would love to buy shakes that I can easily find in local stores here.. (Safeway, GNC, Trader Joes, etc.)

Note: (I AM NOT ON A ATKINS DIET!!) To anyone who has tried these shakes.. what are your reviews on them?

An example of one of the shakes..

Flavor: Milk Chocolate Delight Shake
Calories: 160
Fat Calories: 90
Total Fat: 10g
Saturated Fat: 3.5g
Trans Fat: 0
Sodium: 240mg
Potassium: 740mg
Total Carbs: 5g
Dietary Fiber: 3g
Sugar: 1g
Protein: 15g

Replies

• sarahwright01
    sarahwright01 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    They are really great. I love the strawberry. I often use it as a quick breakfast (I eat breakfast on the go alot) or as an afternoon snack. They are a little pricey at $1.25-1.50 per shake. I also really like Premier Protein's Chocolate Shakes. I find these at my Local Costco for $1.33...right in the middle of the Atkins shake price.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    As someone who IS on a low carb diet. I don't like them. It's not been proven how people respond to those sugar alcohols. Some may be just fine with them. Some may not. I prefer foods that are naturally low in carbs. I'm wary of any foods that claim a "net carb" content.
  • Leslietheriot
    Leslietheriot Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I buy them and drink them. The taste is not bad and they are pretty filling. I usually have one before the gym or as a snack on the go. They can be quite expensive depending on where you get them.
  • brenda_allport
    Options
    I have tried these and I really like them. The strawberry are the best!!! I have been hooked on the Biggest Loser shakes now. The blueberry and raspberry are AMAZING!!!!!
  • rachrach66
    rachrach66 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Yes I am not on the Atkins diet but I do use their shakes and bars when I need more protein without the carbs. I have tried Mocha Latte and Strawberry and Chocolate. I have tried a lot of their bars in fact I am having one for dessert tonight!!
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    Nope lots of better choices.

I drink Premier Protein - Chocolate

11 oz

160 Calories

3grams of Fat

1 gram of sugar

30 grams of Protein

Those 10grs of fat and not worth it for 15 grams of protein.

Others you can look at are Pure Protein and Muscle Milk Light.

I encourage more protein but not more fat!!!

You Can Do It!
  • rachrach66
    rachrach66 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I'm going to the grocery store today to buy shakes that are high in protein, low in carbs and sugar. I have seen alot of recommendations on here but would love to buy shakes that I can easily find in local stores here.. (Safeway, GNC, Trader Joes, etc.)

Note: (I AM NOT ON A ATKINS DIET!!) To anyone who has tried these shakes.. what are your reviews on them?

If you have a Target or Walmart you can get them there for cheaper!!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,506 Member
    Options

I've seen better protein profiles for shakes. Only 15 grams for protein? Eh.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options

They are processed crap.

Eat real food.
  • Grokette
    Options
    As someone who IS on a low carb diet. I don't like them. It's not been proven how people respond to those sugar alcohols. Some may be just fine with them. Some may not. I prefer foods that are naturally low in carbs. I'm wary of any foods that claim a "net carb" content.

And they contain soy!!
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    I do not like the way they taste.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    They are processed crap.

Eat real food.
    I wish I had said this very thing.
  • darkrider42
    darkrider42 Posts: 5,312 Member
    Options
    Walmart & Target both carry pre-mixed, low-carb protein shakes that are comparable with the nutrition facts you listed. They come in 4-packs for like $4.99 or so. EAS Advantedge Carb-Control shakes in chocolate fudge, french vanilla or my favorite and one I think tastes best, strawberry.
  • momof3and3
    momof3and3 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    I Like the chocolate atkins shakes and they don't contain any sugar alcohols, which KILL my stomach. I use them when i am really busy with the kids and need a quick and easy snack...I know many will tell you that they are crap, but I figure if I drink one and it keeps me away from the oreo's, than I am good :)
  • worldhurdler
    worldhurdler Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried the Atkins shakes, but I've been drinking the Pure Protein chocolate shake for about 6 months now, and really like it. It has 23g of protein, and the other stats look better, too.
    I try to get most of my protein from meat/cottage cheese/etc (and I do - usually 100g worth) and then use the shake as a quick intake after my morning workouts.
    Good luck on your hunt!
  • PenTool
    PenTool Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Grokette said:

"And they contain soy!!"

Care to elaborate?
  • lynheff
    lynheff Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I think they are great. I personally prefer the taste of Designer Whey--and buying the powder is cheaper--but the Advantage are great too. Both kinds are low in carbs.
  • Grokette
    Options
    Grokette said:

"And they contain soy!!"

Care to elaborate?

Soy for a woman can cause infertility, it is goitergenic and is known to cause thyroid issues. I blame soy when I was a vegetarian for my current thyroid issues today.

When the doctor told me I was hypo-thyroid she said to go home and throw away anything that contained soy.

Unless it is fermented like the asians eat it - it is not healthy in the least.

i was also told that the tofu that we eat in the United States is nothing like the tofu in Japan or other Asian countries.
  • maddythorn
    maddythorn Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried the atkins shakes but I do Herbalife protein shakes. They are all natural ingredients. Can't buy them in a store but from a distributor. 2 shakes a days and a healthy colorful meal. and you can lose weight fast. I lost 4# in 4 days

calories: 90
    fat:
    sat.:0
    mon: 0
    poly:0
    chol:0
    sodium:135
    potassium:210
    carbs:13
    fiber:3
    sugar:9
    protein:9
  • myfurturelooksgood
    myfurturelooksgood Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I was really up in the air about these but after research and gathering opinions of friends that work out alot, I bought Gold Standard 100% Whey protein powder from The Vitamin Shoppe. Has 30 servings (29.4g) and purchased with tax for $26.00 so about $.88 per serving. I have big trouble getting enough protein so sometimes I use this but no more than once a day/twice a week so far.
    Nutrition Facts:
    Calories 120
    Calories from Fat 10
    Total Fat 1g
    Sat Fat .5g
    Trans Fat 0g
    Cholesterol 30mg
    Sodium 130mg
    Total Carbohydrates 3g
    Sugars 1g
    Protein 24g
    Vitamin A 0%
    Vitamin C 0%
    Iron 0%
    Calcium 8%
    Not a significant source of dietary fiber

Ingredients: Protein Blend (Whey Protein Isolates, Whey Protein Concentrate, Whey Peptides), Artificial Flavor, Lecithin, Acesulfame Potassium, aminogen, Lactase,
    Allergen Information: contains milk and soy (lecithin) ingredients.

Hope it helps you draw some conclusion whether these are right for you.