PLEASE HELP: Healthy meal options for a new mom with a baby that won’t sit anywhere for long

Options
For all the moms out there, I really need some healthy lunch, snack and dinner options that are quick and actually filling that won’t take forever to cook. My newborn doesn’t sleep much in the day and won’t sit in her swing, tummy time mat or seat for too long, so it’s been difficult.

I’ve been having the frozen healthy choice meals that I like but I feel like they’re making me hungrier. Any help would be appreciated!

*No mom advice, just food ideas please*

Replies

• apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Do you have a crock pot? You can throw in your ingredients, it cooks with no work on your part, and many crock pot recipes make lots of leftovers. I like making stews, chili, beans, and spaghetti sauce in mine, and freezing the leftovers.
  • Shortgirlrunning
    Shortgirlrunning Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    I second the crockpot substation. It’s quick to get started and makes plenty of food so there’s lots of leftovers that are easy to reheat.

For snacks my go-tos are string cheese, hard boiled eggs, carrot sticks, celery sticks, apple, or bananas.

Usually, I just make a sandwich for lunch which is pretty quick and simple. Sometimes I just grab a protein bar.
  • cupcakesandproteinshakes
    Options
    Yep I remember this well.
    Store bought “fresh” soup, sandwiches and fruit are all grabbable.
    Nothing wrong with frozen ready made meals if they fit yr calories. Maybe supplement them with frozen veg for extra bulk
  • _BlahBlah_BlackSheep_
    _BlahBlah_BlackSheep_ Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    Definitely look at the crock pot option. Also, can you baby-wear? Put her in a sling or snugli to free up your hands, if you can. I remember these days! Hang in there, they'll pass in the blink of an eye. The days are long, but the years are short.
  • AmyMcMutley
    AmyMcMutley Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Lunch could be a wholemeal pitta bread stuffed with 100g ham, 1 tbsp of sweet corn and 1 chopped pinapple ring and a baby bel light cheese
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    I ate a lot of sandwiches and mini naan pizzas when I was on maternity leave, plus raw veggies dipped in ranch and some chips or something. For snacks I ate apples, bananas, belvita soft baked oatmeal biscuits, fiber one brownies, muffins (already made from the grocery store). I was able to make a mad dash to the kitchen to prepare my lunches while LO was sleeping or otherwise content (which never lasted for very long lol)

For dinners I can't really help because my husband always held the baby while I made dinner, so just our usual things. Or we would get take-out which we don't really care for. In the very early days when I couldn't really cook, we ate a lot of frozen stuff. We went to Sams club and they have a section of prepared bbq meats and scalloped potatoes and things like that. We bought a bunch of that type of stuff and put it in our freezer before I had the baby.
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    Charcuterie for the win. Slices or chunks of cheese, deli meat, nuts, fruits, and veggies for easy eating. Baby carrots and berries are great for this.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    When I was on maternity leave, before my husband left in the morning, I would make peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and package them in halves in places where I would tend to get 'stuck' during the day. I would leave one or 2 in the stroller with a banana or apple, one or two in the places where I was typically nursing and those would be my emergency food. Even now that our kids are much older, we prepare most of our food for the week on the weekend. Then you can just reheat what you need for a meal.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    What about loading up a baking sheet with cut up veggies and chicken thighs or your choice of protein. Pop it in the oven for 20 minutes. It will give you leftovers for a few days.
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    I used to get veggie trays, tubs of hummus, pre-sliced cheese, cups of yogurt, and those pre-boiled/peeled egg packets from Costco and just ran drive-bys on the fridge every time I was fixing another bottle for the baby. If my calories were coming in too low, I'd also have a few boxes of crackers around to give myself a boost to maintain milk production, etc. Dinners were generally starch/veg by rice-cooker and protein by freezer aisle/oven. I still get nostalgic eating those individually frozen chicken cordon bleu things.
  • oocdc2
    oocdc2 Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Yup, both my infants insisted they were sharks, too: "Can't stop, Mom! WE STOP WE DIE!!1!"

ray89gqgxa2l.gif

I second sandwiches and crockpots. I also would recommend protein cakes--they're easy to make, taste good, and have a lot of protein (approx. 46 g):

60 g Kodiak Pancake Mix or other protein pancake mix
    75 g unsweetened applesauce or pumpkin
    1 scoop protein powder
    3 T egg whites
    4 T water

Mix dry together in a bowl, then incorporate wet. Microwave for two minutes. Enjoy. Whipped cream optional but recommended.
  • KeyNewNew
    KeyNewNew Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My snack go to is the "Apple Pie Smoothie"
    1 apple, 1 banana, 1 cup of Greek yogurt ,10 almonds or almond milk and a pinch of cinnamon. Will keep you full and give you the good nutrients you need.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    those marie callenders (however you spell that) chicken pot pies. My husband is really picky about convenience food but he likes those.
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    You have got some suggestions above. Mine would not be very different. But, every chance you have to cook or prep food, try to plan for doubles or more. This way at the end of a meal you can pop the leftovers in the freezer of fridge and have a day here and there where you do no cooking at all. Just reheating. Great for the super fussy days.

And, remember you don’t have to have “traditional” lunch and supper meals. Oatmeal and fruit or eggs and a salad are perfectly acceptable.
  • fragileelegance
    fragileelegance Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much everyone!!!!!!