Ok help please! N E one else that had this problem?

Options
Ok. I am a 21 year old mother of three beautiful girls!(had to throw that in! lol) I am used to sleeping in to about 9:30 or 10ish. I am going to start nursing school in may and was wondering if anyone knows the trick to becoming an early riser? I am so tired when I do get up! HELP

Replies

• buffjess
    buffjess Posts: 382
    Options
    Ok. I am a 21 year old mother of three beautiful girls!(had to throw that in! lol) I am used to sleeping in to about 9:30 or 10ish. I am going to start nursing school in may and was wondering if anyone knows the trick to becoming an early riser? I am so tired when I do get up! HELP
  • MFS27
    MFS27 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    Go to bed early. :flowerforyou:

BTW - how do you sleep in with three kids? I have three kids and I'm lucky if I can sleep in until 7 AM :laugh:
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    :laugh: Molly I was thinking the same thing. My kids never let me sleep in
  • MissResa
    MissResa Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    What time do you go to bed at night? During the summer in Alaska, we get almost 24 hours of sunlight, so getting back into the swing of things and going to bed early when school starts can be a pain. I always try to get up really early, and then by the end of the day I'm so tired I usually can go to bed earlier than before. Just keep getting up early, and eventually your body will switch its sleep schedule to going to bed at a certain time, and then getting up at your earlier time.

I've also been told to get your kids used to getting up early at least a month to a month and a half before school starts... So if you need to get your kids up at 7:30 a.m. for school, you might want to get them used to the routine, too:bigsmile:

I second(or third) what they said... I'm lucky if I can sleep in until 7 or 7:30 with my munchkins... And the dogs... And my hubby...:laugh:
  • buffjess
    Options
    Go to bed early. :flowerforyou:

BTW - how do you sleep in with three kids? I have three kids and I'm lucky if I can sleep in until 7 AM :laugh:

Just blessed I guess! lol..My 5 year old will sleep til 11 if i let her and the other 2 wake me up around 930 10ish..
  • molsongirl
    molsongirl Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options
    WOW...lucky you, I have 13 kids, right now , 8 of them mine,and I cannot remember the last time i slept in past 6 am, even on the weekend :sad: sorry i am no help :laugh:
  • DBranchaud
    DBranchaud Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    do you have an alarm clock.....set it and put it on the other side of the room...so you have to get out of bed to turn it off.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    WOW...lucky you, I have 13 kids, right now , 8 of them mine,

:noway: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

holy crap!
  • MissResa
    Options
    WOW...lucky you, I have 13 kids, right now , 8 of them mine,and I cannot remember the last time i slept in past 6 am, even on the weekend :sad: sorry i am no help :laugh:

With 8 kids, I think I'd have a nervous breakdown... I can barely keep up with my 2 girls!!!
  • MFS27
    Options
    do you have an alarm clock.....set it and put it on the other side of the room...so you have to get out of bed to turn it off.

Or better yet - put it in the kids' room so it wakes them up and they wake you up and all of you are awake early!

I swear kids are the best alarm clocks :grumble:
  • MissResa
    Options

Or better yet - put it in the kids' room so it wakes them up and they wake you up and all of you are awake early!

Ha!!! This was hilarious, but also very, very smart!!! And true!
  • mamashrub
    Options

ya, fill us in..I can never sleep in..even if I really want to
  • buffjess
    Options

That is a really neat idea!! I may have to try that~
  • firewalking
    firewalking Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Okay - I get up every morning at 4:15 to work out....my suggestions are as follows:

1. Get into the habit of having everything ready for the next day (including your meals) the night before. Iron, have your clothes ready, YOUR food prepared and if you are going to the gym, have your workout clothes ready. You would be amazed at how much nicer this makes the morning roll by.

2. Go to bed as early as you can. Keep in mind that I do not have children, but I can guess that this is not always easy. Just see what time feels "right" and base it on your wake-up routine.

3. Only hit the "off" button (vs. snooze) on your alarm clock, but have one other alarm set (your cell phone may really work well for this purpose) and place it in an area that you have to move significantly to turn it off. NOT so far away that you have to get out of bed, but far enough away so that you have to reach (stretch) to get to it.

4. Take a few extra minutes to stretch....this is what cats do when they awake from a nap. It really works.

5. When you do get up, turn on as few lights as you can as you go. This really helps the waking-up process.

6. Turn some music on as you prepare for your day.

Good luck! Let me know how it goes! :drinker:
  • MellyG426
    MellyG426 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    The alarm clock trick is one of the best, so definitely give that a try! Try to go to bed a little earlier and for now, up until may, set the clock for 10-15 minutes earlier, increasing it as the weeks go by until you hit the right time.

I'm gonna let you know, that especially when you are nursing school- you are going to lack sleep. Nursing school and 3 kids- you are going to lack a lot of sleep. But you can do it. There is going to be a light at the end of the tunnel, and it goes by quickly no matter how hard it is. Take it from experience! Good luck! :happy:
  • MFS27
    Options
    Okay - I get up every morning at 4:15 to work out....my suggestions are as follows:

1. Get into the habit of having everything ready for the next day (including your meals) the night before. Iron, have your clothes ready, YOUR food prepared and if you are going to the gym, have your workout clothes ready. You would be amazed at how much nicer this makes the morning roll by.

2. Go to bed as early as you can. Keep in mind that I do not have children, but I can guess that this is not always easy. Just see what time feels "right" and base it on your wake-up routine.

3. Only hit the "off" button (vs. snooze) on your alarm clock, but have one other alarm set (your cell phone may really work well for this purpose) and place it in an area that you have to move significantly to turn it off. NOT so far away that you have to get out of bed, but far enough away so that you have to reach (stretch) to get to it.

4. Take a few extra minutes to stretch....this is what cats do when they awake from a nap. It really works.

5. When you do get up, turn on as few lights as you can as you go. This really helps the waking-up process.

I get up at 4 AM too! :smile: But my schedule is more like stumble out of bed, and be blinded by the bathroom lights (I can only turn them all on or all off), stumble into kitchen for coffee (and knock over the pots and pans that were drying in the dish rack from last night's dinner in the process), and by this time my system is sufficiently battered that I'm awake and going back to bed is not an option :laugh:
  • molsongirl
    molsongirl Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options

too funny, sounds like my morning, but today I stumbled over a toy cash register, right in front of my bedroom door, that apparently the not me ghost in the house left there.

I get up at 4 AM too! :smile: But my schedule is more like stumble out of bed, and be blinded by the bathroom lights (I can only turn them all on or all off), stumble into kitchen for coffee (and knock over the pots and pans that were drying in the dish rack from last night's dinner in the process), and by this time my system is sufficiently battered that I'm awake and going back to bed is not an option :laugh:

too funny, sounds like my morning, but today I stumbled over a toy cash register, right in front of my bedroom door, that apparently the not me ghost in the house left there.:laugh: :laugh:
  • nicolet04
    Options
    i am in the same situation as you. i have 2 kids that both sleep in until 9:00. i want to try and wake up early to workout, but i cant get up! i put my kids to bed around 8:30 and it doesnt matter what time i go to bed, i just cant get up! sorry im not much help......but boy are we lucky!!:happy:
  • Losing_It
    Losing_It Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    The only time my kids want to sleep in is during the week when they CAN'T!!!!! On weekends they get up even earlier than normal!!:grumble:
  • MFS27
    Options
    too funny, sounds like my morning, but today I stumbled over a toy cash register, right in front of my bedroom door, that apparently the not me ghost in the house left there.:laugh: :laugh:

I have a "not me" ghost too!!!! :laugh:

I also have the "Idunnowhodunit" and "itwasn'tmeiswear" ghost....:grumble: