Any recent convert to plant based diet?

Options
So I watched this "documentary" called "The Game Changer", with James Wilks, which is really making me think about switching to animal based diet. Anyone on something similar?

In the movie, James Wilks travels the world on a quest for the truth about meat, protein, and strength. Showcasing elite athletes, special ops soldiers, and visionary scientists to change the way people eat and live.

Replies

• ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    ... Even deer are not fully vegan/vegetarian. They eat bird eggs and even baby birds without batting an eye.

My chipmunks will make off with chicken nuggets if I don't keep their calcium level up - usually they get it by eating eggs (shell and all) deer antler and bone. My paraplegic chipmunk loves hunting down and eating junebugs.

It is possible to be an elite athlete and vegan, but they are the exception, rather than the rule. What is possible for them is not practical for me.

I do eat more like my chipmunks since I got them. They need lots of fresh produce, but won't finish off an entire package of romaine hearts before they go bad, so I make more salads and give them some of what I'm eating.

They also love mealworms, raw egg, and live bugs for the protein and calcium, and while I've politely tried Chirps (chips made with cricket flour), I prefer chicken.

*I will also note that while oxen are strong, they are also ruminants. I, on the other hand, do not have 4 stomachs and my gut flora is all wrong for digesting large quantities of cellulose.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    @kshama2001 I saw over the weekend a few RD groups and research outlets post a link to that Men's Health article! Seems like that's going to be the official rebuttal :smile: And that quote you closed with is golden.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,913 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    @kshama2001 I saw over the weekend a few RD groups and research outlets post a link to that Men's Health article! Seems like that's going to be the official rebuttal :smile: And that quote you closed with is golden.

@MikePTY gets the credit for the Men's Health link :)

I'd been using this one somewhat ironically due to the clear bias: https://www.beefmagazine.com/beef/why-schwarzenegger-s-game-changers-documentary-dangerous
  • amsuraj
    amsuraj Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback y'all. I had watched the documentry again and wrote the names of all the doctors and their main points, so that I could do a double click on them to figure out what their bias were. Lettuce comment definetly raised my eyeborws, but so did the gladiator comment. Sill on the fence about switching, but maybe better way would be to take smaller steps, 2-3 days without meat every week or something like that. Thanks again people.