I have hit a great big dirty Plateau! Help!

Options
Hello MFPals,

I need a little guidance in regards to shifting this current "plateau". I have a sneaking suspicion that it is being caused by my ridiculously low calorie intake (1200 per/day), however... I'm not sure and need some suggestions on how I can overcome this moment of stillness. I am literally busting my ar*e and not getting results... *huff*

STATS
*27 years old, Female
*5ft / 153cm
*CW. 62kgs
*Basal Energy Expenditure: 1405cal / Current Calorie intake with 400 deficit: 1200cals/day
*Exercising 45-60min per day (approx 450-550cals per sesh), heart rate UP and breathless (approx 4-5 times a week)

I began my journey with hitting a very high veggie/protein (superior whey) intake followed by a lean meal each day. I did this for 3 weeks and lost the initial 2kgs and quite a few cms from my waist & hips (which was fabulous). This was done to basically kick-start my lazy metabolism and it worked. However, that was almost 2 weeks ago.

Since then, I have introduced solid, non-processed foods back into my diet and even upped the intensity to my exercise. I have noticed a drop in protein, as I was running out of calorie intake for the day... and have mega upped my water...

So, that is the generics, my food diary is open for the viewing. It would mean a lot to hear suggestions on how I could shift this plateau and start seeing results again... after busting my butt day in, day out!

Ciao
Picinina

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Simple, eat more. Like 800 calories more a day. Although, i woudl suggest slowing increase your calories until you hit 2000 calories a day (if your are considered moderately active, 2200 if you are very active); increase your calories 200 each week until you hit that goal.

http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/
    Harris-Benedict Formula

There are a few different methods to calculating yourbasal metabolic rate (BMR). One of the most popular, developed in the early 1900's is called the Harris-Benedict formula. Based on this formula, your current BMR is 1402 calories.

How Many Calories Should I Eat?

Based on your goal weight, the following chart was generated. The chart shows the number of calories that you should eat on a daily basis to reach your goal weight. At Fat 2 Fit Radio we advocate eating like the thin, healthy person that you want to become. The calorie levels you see in the chart are not extreme, but they do create that all important caloric deficit that is required to get you to your goal weight in a safe manner. Once you reach your goal weight, you will continue eating the same number of calories for the rest of your life to maintain that weight. You'll never be on a diet again.

Based on how much activity you do on an average day, the calories in the right column will be the number of calories that you will be able to eat at your goal weight. If you start eating those calories right now (eating like the thinner you), you will eventually become that thinner person. As you get closer to your goal weight, your weight loss will start to slow down. It is OK to eat a few hundred calories less per day (200-300) to speed up your weight loss at this point.

Activity Level Daily Calories
    Sedentary (little or no exercise, desk job) 1598
    Lightly Active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/wk) 1832
    Moderately Active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/wk) 2065
    Very Active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days/wk) 2298
    Extremely Active (hard daily exercise/sports & physical job or 2X day training, i.e marathon, contest etc.) 2531
  • adamcf
    adamcf Posts: 126
    Options
    plateaus happen for a lot of reasons. But increasing calories can get you through it. bump it up a little and workout differently for a week. push through it, you will definetly break through it.
  • dogdaze
    dogdaze Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I can't access your food and exercise diary so give us some more information. It may be that you are building muscle (which is heavier than fat) or you might be retaining water weight.

Are you eating all, or none, or a proportion of your exercise calories? How is your water intake (are you getting at least 8 glasses per day)??

My plateau was caused by undereating! Even though I was exceeding the 1200 allowance daily, eating healthy mostly unprocessed foods and drinking lots of fluid, I was not eating very many of my exercise calories. My weight remained near static for several months. I kept cutting back and cutting back and still not losing weight.

It was not until my fitness advisors said my basal calorie consumption was closer to 1800 Calories per day and the body composition measurements indicated that I had lost almost 4 kg of muscle in the past 3 months despite exercising regularly that I realized I was slowly starving myself.

High exercise and high protein may help, but you will still burn protein and muscle for calories and not build muscle if your intake is too low.
  • picinina
    picinina Posts: 76
    Options
    Oops, sorry about that. I have changed the settings to 'Public', ta.

Most days I do not 'eat back' calories burnt, however now my ideals are changing and I feel as though I need the energy back in to burn. Fingers crossed there is a bit of muscle there... *crossed tight*

I drink 1.25L of water at my desk each day and then an extra 3 or so black teas/waters. So, I believe I'm hitting at least 8 glasses a day.

Thanks for the suggestion, as of today I will be burying my face back into the whey mixture!

Cheers,
    Picinina

I can't access your food and exercise diary so give us some more information. It may be that you are building muscle (which is heavier than fat) or you might be retaining water weight.

Are you eating all, or none, or a proportion of your exercise calories? How is your water intake (are you getting at least 8 glasses per day)??

My plateau was caused by undereating! Even though I was exceeding the 1200 allowance daily, eating healthy mostly unprocessed foods and drinking lots of fluid, I was not eating very many of my exercise calories. My weight remained near static for several months. I kept cutting back and cutting back and still not losing weight.

It was not until my fitness advisors said my basal calorie consumption was closer to 1800 Calories per day and the body composition measurements indicated that I had lost almost 4 kg of muscle in the past 3 months despite exercising regularly that I realized I was slowly starving myself.

High exercise and high protein may help, but you will still burn protein and muscle for calories and not build muscle if your intake is too low.
  • picinina
    Options
    Thank you all for the valid suggestions.

As of today I will be upping my calorie intake from 1200 to 1400 (to begin with) and will aim to eat back majority calories burnt through exercise. Getting the awesome Whey back into my system and complimentary natural sources found in nuts, etc.

Time to take control again. I'm a quick learner, lets hope my body can catch up!

CHEERS
    Picinina
  • joydoherty2
    Options
    Sorry I know its a bit random haha:) but... how do you change your excercise and food diary to public? Good luck with your weight loss, you just have to keep at it! P.S. remember to weigh yourself at the same time each day (just incase you dont) x
  • picinina
    Options
    Thanks for the kind words, I'm a little determined so-and-so, I'll be sticking to it, don't you worry! And I'm a crazed fan of the ol' measuring tape, rather than scales.

To address your question about changing the Calorie intake & Publicise Food Diary:
    MY HOME [tab]
    GOALS [tab]
    Change Goals [button]
    Custom Option

FOOD [tab]
    SETTINGS [tab]
    DAILY SHARING: Public

Good luck! :)
    Sorry I know its a bit random haha:) but... how do you change your excercise and food diary to public? Good luck with your weight loss, you just have to keep at it! P.S. remember to weigh yourself at the same time each day (just incase you dont) x
  • libs3091
    libs3091 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I know i found it hard getting the right balance between the protein/fats/carbs and calorie goal, but eating nuts daily is definitely the way to go. You probably know already, but nuts give you quick cals and also fats, carbs, and protein you need after exercising. I always put a handful of almonds in my oats in the morning, and 'be natural' have really yummy nut delight bars which are a good 200 cals and are really great post-workout to replenish your energy without making your tummy feel too full. You can get them from woolies or coles in the health food section, they have heaps of other muesli bars too.

I'm not sure if you're like me and find it hard to up the calories because you weren't used to the extra amount of food, but this is one way ive worked around that.

Keep up the great work!!
  • significance
    significance Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    It's normal to lose weight quickly at first and then slow down. I wouldn't call 2 weeks a plateau - it's just a bit of variation in what will probably prove to be a continuing downward trend. I'm a similar height and weight (5'1" and 59kg, down from 71kg in January) and have consistently lost weight sticking to 1200 calories or less (net). Yes, I've had pauses of up to 3 weeks now and again over the past several months, but I've usually found my weight dropped rapidly after those pauses without me changing anything, to make the overall downward trend pretty consistent.
  • picinina
    Options
    Thanks for the words of wisdom girls. I'll just keep sticking it out.

Picinina
  • hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Exercise cals?
  • picinina
    Options
    On average about 450-550 per day. Though I'm only just starting to 'eat them back', so my intake on an active day is above 1400cals. :)

Exercise cals?
  • hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Yeah, eating them back is what I was asking. Hah.