Looking for easy gym workouts.

Options
I have full access to a gym, and i'm looking for a simple work out routine that is anywhere from 20-30 mins of time required. I'm limited on time because I work and commute daily.

I usually jump on the treadmill and do the personal trainer cardio fat burner thing, it keeps my heart rate at 160 and I do a mile per day. I don't really feel like thats enough....(or is it??) it usually rounds out to a little under 200 calories burned.

Anyone have any simple routines that they would like to share? I have access to a elliptacle, treadmill, bike, weights, anything that you would find at a gym. Keep in mind that I am a beginner and I would like to stay away from weights as much as possible (for the time being)

Thank you.

Replies

• EuroDriver
    EuroDriver Posts: 254
    Options
    if u got 30min do weights instead of ur treadmills and ellipticals.. ull see alot more results from weights... lots of supersets, trisets, giant sets
  • HoopFire5602
    HoopFire5602 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    if u got 30min do weights instead of ur treadmills and ellipticals.. ull see alot more results from weights... lots of supersets, trisets, giant sets

Agreed.
  • outersoul
    outersoul Posts: 711
    Options
    Why stay away from weights?
  • youngmum
    youngmum Posts: 114
    Options
    you could try interval training on the elliptical or treadmill
  • tulipsrbetter
    Options
    Elliptical burns a lot of calories. I've been told you should keep your heart rate up for 20-30 minutes in order to loose weight. I do the elliptical for 20 minutes (usually burn between 250-350 calories on my HRM), then hop on the bike for 15-20 mins because I don't really care for the treadmill, and then I do some weights. Once you feel comfortable you should try weights, they're really fun.. I promise! :)
  • bodyzen
    bodyzen Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Girl, weights are your friend! I stayed away from them for the first few months of my weight loss journey and things were slow going... I was losing fat but had no muscle so I was just "skinny fat". Now that I've incorporated weights into my workout routine, I'm noticing huge differences in my body! Like, I have biceps! And sexy calves! And holy crap, abs might even be on their way!!! Cardio is great, but don't be afraid to pump some iron, you'll get toned and lean and unless you eat mass amounts of food (like 3-4000 cal) you will not bulk up the way that men do. We are lacking in a key ingredient: testosterone. ;)

I'd suggest for a quick routine do 10 minutes of running, and 20 minutes devoted to strength training. And you can switch it up so one day you work your legs, another day arms, another day abs etc. Trust me, you'll see and feel results fast! Good luck!!! :)
  • grizworl
    Options
    The following website provides a good workout, the best thing about it it provides pictures. I started today. Good luck!

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/jamie-easons-livefit-introduction.html
  • ruststar
    ruststar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I do a thirty minute circuit training routine at the gym that gets my heart rate up but also works on strength. It's a mix of lifting free wights with squats, lunges, planks, and ab work with little to no rest between sets. If you only want to do cardio, try doing intervals on the treadmill or elliptical - after a short 3 minute warm up, do 2 minutes at your normal pace, then 1 minute significantly faster, then back down to your regular pace. Try it for 15 minutes at first then work up to the full half hour of intervals. Raising your intensity and working harder will help you get the most benefit in the least amount of time - but it shoudn't be easy.
  • Murphk323
    Murphk323 Posts: 184
    Options
    don't be afraid to lift weights!
    it makes you feel awesome :)

you can make a quick circuit up, for example:

bike for 10 minutes
    10 lunges
    10 squats
    10 deadlifts
    run for 10 mins
    10 bicep press
    10 shoulder press
    10 tricep press
    elliptical for 10 mins
    10 crunches
    10 right oblique crunches
    10 left oblique crunches

just make something up :) good luck.
  • kanonxbou47
    kanonxbou47 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Try some circuit training, building muscle speeds up your metabolism, because a pound of muscle burns twice as many calories as a pound of fat.

I like using the rower, it's a full-body workout, and the stairclimber. (On a stairclimber, it seems like you're not going very fast, but by the end of it, you're sweating hard.)