I binged.

Options
So the last 3 days I've been eating around 1000-1400 Cals and exercising. Which is great. But on saturday... well. I binged. I had a very difficult day and in the evening I got a strong craving for muffins, crisps, bread, chocolate and I searched for comfort in food. I still can't forget about my binge and I feel heavier and my tummy still feels jiggly and I feel like my pants are too tight. Its not a good feeling. It's like what Ive eaten on saturday has never left my body... I haven't even stepped on the scale yet because of my fear. What do u suggest for me to cope with this horrible feeling and how do I never binge again like this?

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    If you ate 3,500 calories over MAINTENANCE then you gained 1 pound. Are you retaining some temporary water weight? Perhaps, but it's temporary. One bad day rarely undoes several good days.

Eating 1,000 calories + exercising is NOT a good thing. 1,400 calories + exercise is probably not even a good thing. In other words, take a less aggressive approach and be less prone to binge behavior.

Choose a moderate weekly weight loss goal and eat back a % of exercise calories. Allow yourself a treat now and then....but LOG IT. Stay accountable. Learn portion control for muffins, crisps, and chocolate instead of trying to eliminate those things entirely.
  • Wannabesmolagain
    Wannabesmolagain Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I ate 3500 cals on saturday.
  • Shortgirlrunning
    Shortgirlrunning Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    Your calories sound too low. You shouldn’t go under 1200 and you should be eating back your exercise calories (or at least some of them). Under eating can very easily lead to binging. So can cutting out all the foods you enjoy.

Try adjusting you daily calories to be higher (a minimum of 1200) and fit in the occasional treat/junk food rather than depriving yourself all the time.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,051 Member
    Options
    So...maybe 500-1000 calories over your maintenance calorie amount, max.

No one does this perfectly. You'll be much more likely to binge eat if you keep eating 1000-1400 and trying to exercise.

How much weight do you need to lose to be at a healthy BMI? If that's a picture of you in the avatar, you're already at a healthy weight, and you look young. You can likely eat quite a bit more than you think. 1000-1400 along with exercising is way too low, regardless.

Step on the scale. It's not the boogeyman.

Maybe you need a little professional nutrition counseling? You sound very anxious and there's really no need to be.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    Forgive yourself and move on. 💙
  • soofa93
    soofa93 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Well first of all 1 day binge won’t make gain weight and the bloated belly is mostly just water retention from the carbs and overeating, try to start your day fresh, eat healthy and exercise and everything should be fine, I used feel very guilty when I eat a lot and the next day I would starve myself because of guilt, but now I just continue eating normally and go on with my day not thinking about it and I noticed the scale won’t change much after one day of bing 🤷🏻‍♀️ hope you’ll feel better..
  • wingweaver0730
    wingweaver0730 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    It's just 1 day. And I agree with others than your calories sound too low anyway. I believe women in particular need a minimum of 1200 a day. This might be why you 'lost control'. I always leave wiggle room for myself on Saturdays and then I keep myself in check the rest of the week. This isn't a race. It's a lifelong commitment to being healthier. If you don't have that special treat or meal you will absolutely go nuts and end up letting 1 bad meal become a whole bad day, week, month, etc. No need to feel guilty about it. Just wake up the next day and do better.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Under-eating is NOT great, and under-eating for 3 days is most likely what led to your binge.

You are already quite lean. You are going to have to be patient and measure your successes in months, not weeks. If you insist on losing more weight, set your goal to 0.5lbs per week and eat at least some of your exercise calories. Fit in some comfort foods. Otherwise you might find yourself in these binge/restrict cycles.
  • aries68mc
    aries68mc Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Agree, forgive yourself and move on. Also, if you feel the urge to binge again, pop on here and we'll talk you down. :smile:
  • amn0619
    amn0619 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Eating 1000 calories is what made you binge. I've learned that the hard way after many, many attempts at losing weight and keeping it off. Eating way too little makes me binge after a few days, and I gain back what I've lost. Try eating more each day - yes, you may lose weight slower. But if you restrict for several days and then binge, you won't lose that way either. Slow and steady.