Thankful for Having Been Morbidly Obese

Options
Although I wouldn't wish it on anyone, I am really thankful for having been morbidly obese. It's helped me become a much better person than I think I could have been had I not experienced what I did .... I've learned a lot! I'm gonna share something I've learned... and hope it helps you. Please share something you've learned too:

Lesson #1
I wasted way too many years of my life focused on my weight. I kept myself at bay, so consumed with my being fat. Now, I see much more clearly... I see all people (even thin ones) need acceptance, feel pain, and need a friend, regardless of what the scale says.

I realize that people have lives and their own set of problems. People just want to feel good about themselves and feel like they fit in. No one cares (except maybe a spouse or date, I suppose) how much fat we are carrying around. Most of them are just too wrapped up in their own problems. They just want someone to help them feel like they are valuable.

Couple years ago, I had an old high school friend contact me and want to come see me while in town, I blew the friend off, not because I didn't want to see that person, but because I was ashamed of my grossly huge body. I doubted I would even be recognized by anyone in high school. Now I realize how silly that was. This person wasn't interested in me romantically, just in reconnecting.... if we had met, and I made that person feel special... that would be the only thing that really mattered. Even if there was shock at my weight at first, it would pass. As it turns out I hurt that person's feelings. I regret that.

If you feel like you aren't "good enough" because of your weight... please reconsider. There are so many people, thin, heavy, attractive, unattractive, Caucasian, African- American, Asian, doesn't matter... just people... that could really benefit from a friend just like you, doesn't matter what you look like.

Replies

• wildkatt7
    wildkatt7 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    well said. thank you so much for sharing
  • tonid76
    tonid76 Posts: 51
    Options
    Thank you for sharing! :)
  • runningathena
    runningathena Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    BEAUTIFUL!!!! Well said, just brilliant.
  • kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options
    I like this a lot! Wonderful post :)
  • nerak3401
    nerak3401 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing!
  • KendraElmendorf
    KendraElmendorf Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    Thank you
  • vsyates
    vsyates Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    What a wonderful post -- I'm still choked up....... Thanks so much for sharing :flowerforyou:
  • soccermum75
    soccermum75 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Did i tell you how awsome you are lately? I am really proud of being your friend. Thank you for sharing.
  • Hoppymom
    Hoppymom Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    What a beautiful philosophy. Thanks for reminding us.
  • JulieF11
    JulieF11 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Did i tell you how awsome you are lately? I am really proud of being your friend. Thank you for sharing.

Thank you... I certainly benefit from your friendship too.
  • serendipityrr
    serendipityrr Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Beautiful...thank you!
  • CaWaterBug8
    CaWaterBug8 Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    Wow. That just gave me so much of a new perspective. Thank you so much for posting this. @ times, I feel the same way and I have blown people off b/c I don't always feel comfortable in my own skin. It's taken me a while (while on here even) to realize that I am not as confident as I thought that I was over the past few years.

Edit: I also want to add that you look great in your profile pict!