Best portable home fitness equipment

Options
I haven't done any exercise for ages, and my job is now quite sedentary so I'd like to get some exercise in. I bought a home step machine but having used it for 3 days, it doesn't get me out of breath and only raises my pulse a bit. Can anyone suggest any other very portable home exercise bit of equipment? I'll want to move it out of the lounge when I have guests! Ideally something I could do watching TV, to distract me. Thanks.

Replies

• lgfrie
    lgfrie Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    You might want to look into resistance bands. I just got started with them two weeks ago. Very portable, easy to stow, cheap, takes up little space, easy to pull out and use during TV time. Not quite like cardio equipment as far as increasing pulse goes, but it does get my pulse up. I do have cardio equipment too; not sure if bands would be a "complete" solution but certainly something to consider.
  • Inspirationalwaterjug
    Options
    Bands are always good. But a kettlebell is also a good idea.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Mini trampoline?
  • moonangel12
    moonangel12 Posts: 971 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    Jump rope - Super cheap, super portable, and will most definitely get the blood pumping!

Scan YouTube for some video options, many being equipment free... Walk at Home, or... something sugar that’s mentioned a lot on here. Popsugar!

I bought a retro rowing machine that is easily carried from room to room and folds up pretty compactly.

A trainer for your bike if you own one.

Also, check how to change the resistance settings on the climber - you should be able to make it so you are almost running up them.
  • Goober1142
    Goober1142 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I love my total gym knock off. And dumbells. Craigslist and yard sales are usually good for deals.
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    Options
    2 words

Skipping and Rope
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Gymnastic rings, hula hoop, WaterRower
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    Options
    Or just good old callisthenics
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Bike. Skis. Shoes. Bathing suit.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I used to use a mini tramp during commercial breaks. I find a Rubbermaid kitchen step useful in place of an aerobics step for step routines, as well as for reaching high shelves, and easy to move out of the way.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    TRX or similar.
  • mojavemtbr
    mojavemtbr Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I second the TRX. Get the accessory door anchor and you can use it anywhere. Hundreds of exercises can be done with it. And it is scaleable from beginner to advanced.
    Good enough for Navy Seals stuck out in BFE to keep in shape with it, good enough for any of us...lol
  • lgfrie
    lgfrie Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    mojavemtbr wrote: »
    I second the TRX. Get the accessory door anchor and you can use it anywhere. Hundreds of exercises can be done with it. And it is scaleable from beginner to advanced.
    Good enough for Navy Seals stuck out in BFE to keep in shape with it, good enough for any of us...lol

How is the TRX system different than resistance bands? Or is it basically a different brand of resistance bands? I'm using Bodylastics bands but am always on the lookout for stuff to add to the exercise inventory.
  • mojavemtbr
    mojavemtbr Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    lgfrie wrote: »
    mojavemtbr wrote: »

How is the TRX system different than resistance bands? Or is it basically a different brand of resistance bands? I'm using Bodylastics bands but am always on the lookout for stuff to add to the exercise inventory.

Its not resistance bands. Resistance bands are various types of rubber bands or tubing that provide the resistance through elasticity.
    A TRX Suspension strap device does not stretch. It is a set of straps that you pull or push against using your bodyweight as resistance. Just Youtube "trx exercises" to get the best idea of how it works.
  • jelleigh
    jelleigh Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I know this isn't equipment per se but the beachbody workout videos often need little to no equipment (or maybe resistance bands like suggested above) and they have workouts for any level.
  • CaffeinatedConfectionist
    Options
    TRX is great, and I'd also recommend that option. Buf you're looking for traditional cardio options, I have a small elliptical from Amazon that cost ~$200 and is very light and easy to move - it has wheels on the front so can be pushed from room to room without much effort. It's my go-to home cardio option for the time being (which I also use in front of the TV B)

If you have free weights, you could also check out barbell or dumbbell complexes - basically, you use one weight to run through a continuous series of different lifting exercises without resting. I've done Javorek's complexes and they'll definitely get your heart rate up. :Dhttp://www.istvanjavorek.com/page2.html