Knee replacement

I had a knee replacement on my right knee on December 18 2018 my knee is bending and straighting fine its the muscles around my knee are still very weak and I have gained a lot of weight since my surgery which is bad. My question has anyone had a knee replacement and had muscle problems and weight gain and if so on how to fix both have lowered calories and do my PT daily

Replies

• 150poundsofme
    150poundsofme Posts: 523 Member
    It's only been 2 months. Are you still going to physical therapy? My friend had PT for 6 months. Friend didn't have any problems with the muscle around the knee. Please talk to the orthopedic surgeon for advice. Good luck.
  • chulipa
    chulipa Posts: 650 Member
    I had 24 visits for PT they are trying to get more but going through a Veteran hospital is difficult when they say the max is 24 I will continue my home PT and keep walking as much as knee will allow and see my doctor March 6. Is this normal for my knee to be weak
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    Not a replacement but I had a significant knee reconstructions many moons ago along with the usual muscle atrophy and whatnot that came along with that.

I'm assuming when you say PT you're talking about physical therapy and not personal training? If not then my advice would be to seek out a physiotherapist to properly assess and treat bio-mechanics of your situation.

For weight loss. If you can get a bit of movement that's great but just focus on your calorie intake for the most part.

G'luck.
  • lindamtuck2018
    lindamtuck2018 Posts: 9,465 Member
    I had a knee replacement 2 years ago. I found through the PT my knee strengthened as time went by. Are you seeing your orthopaedic surgeon in March? Make a list of all your questions and concerns for when you go. When you have surgery like that it takes a while to heal. It was a good 6 to 8 months before I felt my knee was healed.
  • Stellamom2018
    Stellamom2018 Posts: 120 Member
    Yes it is normal, it takes a solid year for patients to be functioning at 100% following ortho surgery. Continue to do your exercises, stationary biking, walking, and swimming are all good things.
  • CrazyMermaid1
    CrazyMermaid1 Posts: 339 Member
    My surgery was October. I too gained weight. A big help is my spin class and walking an hour a day. Good luck
  • Sunshine_And_Sand
    Sunshine_And_Sand Posts: 1,320 Member
    I've never had knee replacements, but have had both ACLs reconstructed with grafts from hamstring tendon. First one took about a year before I'd say the operative knee was the same as it was before and then about another 6 months before the hamstring stopped cramping up after exercising. The quad atrophy took a long time to look the same as the non-surgical leg. The second ACL graft isn't a year old yet, but that proces seems to be going faster this time for some reason.
    I know diet set backs are hard, but you may want to just eat at maintenance for a while. Being in a deficit will probably slow your healing process.
    I also found spin class helped me a lot once I was cleared for it, but mind your doctor and physical therapist as far as what activities you do.
    Good luck. I hope this gets better for you.
  • chulipa
    Thanks everyone yes PT is physical therapy and I do go back to ortho in march they know of the weakness and the pain. My therapist said my knee was weak before surgery and maybe why Im having such a hard time. I want to get the other knee done but therapist said right knee was still to weak and I wouldn't be able to stand just hoping its stronger by May or June
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    chulipa wrote: »
    Thanks everyone yes PT is physical therapy and I do go back to ortho in march they know of the weakness and the pain. My therapist said my knee was weak before surgery and maybe why Im having such a hard time. I want to get the other knee done but therapist said right knee was still to weak and I wouldn't be able to stand just hoping its stronger by May or June

Haven't had knee replacement but have had a bunch of orthopedic surgeries. Talk to your therapist and see if it's safe to bump up the PT work you are doing. A PT I worked with told me that often the standard PT prescription is watered down a bit as most people aren't very compliant and would get overwhelmed if asked to do more.

Working with my PT I was doing double or triple the "standard" routine and my recovery was much faster.

Best of luck.
  • No knee replacement but 2 surgeries involving my knees. My surgeon told me at both that it would be 6 months to a year before I had "up to par" strength or strength that was similar to what I had before surgery. That was with PT at home and at a center. For my right knee it was about 6 months and for my left, well it's been 5 years and I still don't have strength in it. It's better than the first few months after surgery but nowhere near what it was before. And like I PP said, PT varies. My first go round the therapist really worked my entire leg and muscles and movement in the knee and had me do a ton at home. For my second I had a different therapist and her approach was much less intensive. I liked it at the time but now kick myself for not pushing harder.
  • jean133mjg
    jean133mjg Posts: 133 Member
    I've had knee replacements in both knees, eight months apart. It's been almost two years since the left knee (first knee replacement) was done. Both knees took about one year each, to fully recover. It was the worst thing I've done and the best thing I've done. No more pain. I can even press 235 lbs. without any pain afterwards. Just give it time and continue your therapy. It will just take time. You'll be glad you had it done. Wishing you the best in your recovery and beyond.
  • Jenr0819
    Jenr0819 Posts: 8 Member
    I had knee replacement in October and knee manipulation 4 weeks later bc it wouldn’t bend. Yes, the muscles still hurt and I’m 3 months out. Strengthening exercises help this. Riding exercise bike every day helps a lot... 5-7 minutes! Weight? Of course I gained but it wasn’t a priority then. Healing was 1st. Now I’m trying to lose but no cardio jumping.
  • chulipa
    Ran out of PT visits they are trying to get more. Went today and rode a exercise bike and a sit down elipitcal bike for 20 minutes each and Im doing my home PT. Just need to give it more time and keep up my exercises. Thank you everyone was concerned because PT told me my knee was weaker then it should be.
  • Jenr0819
    Jenr0819 Posts: 8 Member
    I went back to my surgeon for my 4 month checkup. I expressed my concern about the aching I still have and the tight muscles. He said I would not be completely healed for one year. Even at three months he said I was only 75% healed. Cut yourself some slack but make sure you do your strengthening exercises. I’m sure walking is good but it doesn’t replace the strengthening exercises or riding the exercise bike. I walk 7,000-10,000 steps per day because of my job but I still have tight muscles. Some days when I come home, it’s all I can do to get out of my recliner. It will take time but you will get there :-) As far as losing weight, I’m controlling the food I eat instead of focusing on exercise.
  • keenest37
    keenest37 Posts: 61 Member
    I had knee replacement almost 6 weeks ago. I've been losing weight due to counting calories. I do PT 3x a week. My knee still hurts, especially after PT but is doing well. It seems to be a long healing process!
  • mfilanoski
    mfilanoski Posts: 4 Member
    I had both my knees replaced at the same time a year ago last June.
    I highly recommend doing both at the same time
    I had worked my legs in preparation for the surgery.
    Not a lot of fun but pushed through the pain. Was working out with my
    trainer for the last 12 years until the end of May when he died in a freak drowning.
    Now I’m floundering... need to get back into the gym sigh
  • Healthy4ckd
    Healthy4ckd Posts: 1 Member
    mfilanoski-I'm having both knees replaced in January. What did you do to strengthen your knees before your surgery? They hurt so bad now I can't exercise like I want to.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    I've had both knees and one hip replaced. I found recovery with the knees easier than the hip.

You have to not only commit yourself with your pt, but you have to force yourself not to baby the operative knee. Your recovery rate will also depend on how bad you let your knee get pre-surgery.

Are you using any aids like a cane or walker to walk? If so, try to get off it asap. When you walk, walk naturally, heel to toe. I found I really had to be conscious of each step.

I learned a lot with the first knee. With the second one, I was driving after 10 days.

Take care. Sending healing thoughts.