Balsamic Vinegar?

I recently received a bottle of Fustini's balsamic vinegar as a gift. In three days I've used the whole bottle. A small bottle is 20 bucks, it's that good. What's the second best balsamic on the market? So I don't have to sell my children...

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    How did you use it so fast?
  • Goober1142
    Goober1142 Posts: 219 Member
    How did you use it so fast?
    Salads, chicken breasts, fruit, it's so good. The bottle didn't have cap that restricted the flow so I accidentally just poured it on and it was so good I drenched everything. And then, went to order some and saw the price!
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Lol! I use and love the cheap stuff, so no idea. But there are some vinegar aficionados here so hopefully they'll be along soon.

Considering my parents always threatened to give me away to the circus, I think it's sweet you consider your kids a marketable commodity :smile:
  • JenniferM1234
    JenniferM1234 Posts: 173 Member
    Here's a yummy way I like to stretch expensive balsamic (because the cheap stuff really isn't the same, unlike some other things) for salads... it adds some little calories but so worth it for the wallet!

I like to mix a mustard in with it, and how spicy the mustard is affects the proportions. For yellow mustard, half and half. For a grainy, "kickier" mustard like Maille (extremely grainy), Pommery or Grey Poupon, to taste but at least a teaspoon. Then, unless its good ol' yellow mustard, I carefully dose out a little honey and stir like mad.

This, IMO, tastes delicious, is easy to measure and make, and the honey helps the dressing stick to nonabsorbent salad ingredients like bell peppers and lettuce. :) Bon appetit!
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    One sure gets what they pay for...the stuff less than $20 is just not worth it to me. I remember purchasing a very tiny bottle for around $70 in Montreal many years ago and it was SO good. A little went a long way too as I remember.

I've heard you can make the less expensive stuff way more 'yummy' by reducing it. Google 'how to' and maybe try it out?
  • staceeangel8723
    staceeangel8723 Posts: 1 Member
    edited October 2019
    I absolutely love Marzetti classic balsamic!
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    If you have a Vom Fass near you, GO THERE AND TRY ALL THE VINEGARS.
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    It great to have recommendations from 'real' people. It's hard to 'try' one out that costs a fortune without have some people out there that love it.
  • Goober1142
    Here's a yummy way I like to stretch expensive balsamic (because the cheap stuff really isn't the same, unlike some other things) for salads... it adds some little calories but so worth it for the wallet!

I like to mix a mustard in with it, and how spicy the mustard is affects the proportions. For yellow mustard, half and half. For a grainy, "kickier" mustard like Maille (extremely grainy), Pommery or Grey Poupon, to taste but at least a teaspoon. Then, unless its good ol' yellow mustard, I carefully dose out a little honey and stir like mad.

This, IMO, tastes delicious, is easy to measure and make, and the honey helps the dressing stick to nonabsorbent salad ingredients like bell peppers and lettuce. :) Bon appetit!

That sounds wonderful! Thanks
  • Goober1142
    PAPYRUS3 wrote: »
    One sure gets what they pay for...the stuff less than $20 is just not worth it to me. I remember purchasing a very tiny bottle for around $70 in Montreal many years ago and it was SO good. A little went a long way too as I remember.

I've heard you can make the less expensive stuff way more 'yummy' by reducing it. Google 'how to' and maybe try it out?

They sell the Fustini's online. I just ordered the $40 bottle because it's my Birthday month...
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    If you have a Vom Fass near you, GO THERE AND TRY ALL THE VINEGARS.

Agree with this.
  • Safari_Gal_
    Safari_Gal_ Posts: 1,461 Member
    edited October 2019
    You guys are making me crave balsamic! One of my fav foods! I only keep Giusti Balsamic in the house. It’s like an old friend.

IMHO - the best has to come from Modena Italy.
    I always look for:
    -Aceto Balsamico Tradizionale di Modena

it’s considered the king of vinegars and one of Italy's most important culinary legacies. Literally - a great vinegar is like fine wine. For me - it’s not balsamic if it’s not from Modena.

A great vinegar from Modena from the white trebbiano grape should be syrupy and almost black.. the perfect kid of acid and sweet. Try on some Parmesan - yum!

The true Aceto Balsamico Tradizionale needs to be aged a minimum of 12 years to be certified. It should always say “ Tradizionale” look for the consortium label on it. If it doesn’t say traditional in it - it’s like drinking box wine instead of a fine wine. 🍷

My fav balsamic producer- Guiseppe Giusti, It’s also the oldest family made balsamic in the region.

Ever had it drizzled over vanilla gelato?? 😋

@Goober1142 - they sell a sampler in a wooden box- they are amazing! Ask for a bottle of “extra vecchio” . It’s aged 30 years.

8fqq4mv6z0ao.jpeg
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    Discover Balsamic reductions. Your next budget breaker. But, like all products there is a certain sense of elitism that is wholly unnecessary. I had some friends who would not consider a glass of red wine other than a vintage Bordeaux typically around $150 to 500 per bottle.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,595 Member
    It's been a while since I had the really good stuff, aged for 10+ years in different types of wood barrels.

Nowadays we stock up whenever we go to Italy on vacation. We just buy the best stuff we can find in a normal supermarket. We look for bottles where the first ingredient is wine lees, and the second ingredient is vinegar, not the other way round. Usually around €6 in a regular supermarket.

A cheap alternative is pomegranate molasses from middle eastern grocers. Not the same, but similar and cheaper.
  • acpgee
    Sorry, that would be wine musts as the first ingredient.
  • Safari_Gal_
    Safari_Gal_ Posts: 1,461 Member
    edited October 2019
    Discover Balsamic reductions. Your next budget breaker. But, like all products there is a certain sense of elitism that is wholly unnecessary. I had some friends who would not consider a glass of red wine other than a vintage Bordeaux typically around $150 to 500 per bottle.

@wilson10102018 - perhaps your friends found a deal on a 2016 bottle of Chateau Lafite Rothschild? In that case - definitely worth it! Bliss in a bottle!
    😉 *kidding
    I don’t think quality always translates to money paid for a product. I was in Spain a few weeks ago and the best wine I had was a 2€ bottle of house wine- truly fab! Re: balsamic —- I think like most items, it just comes down to the tastes of the buyer.
    acpgee wrote: »
    It's been a while since I had the really good stuff, aged for 10+ years in different types of wood barrels.

Nowadays we stock up whenever we go to Italy on vacation. We just buy the best stuff we can find in a normal supermarket. We look for bottles where the first ingredient is wine lees, and the second ingredient is vinegar, not the other way round. Usually around €6 in a regular supermarket.

A cheap alternative is pomegranate molasses from middle eastern grocers. Not the same, but similar and cheaper.

@acpgee - I’m super interested in that pomegranate molasses!!! That sounds amazing!! But Pom anything gets my vote. 🙌🏻☺️
  • acpgee

@wilson10102018 - perhaps your friends found a deal on a 2016 bottle of Chateau Lafite Rothschild? In that case - definitely worth it! Bliss in a bottle!
    😉 *kidding
    I don’t think quality always translates to money paid for a product. I was in Spain a few weeks ago and the best wine I had was a 2€ bottle of house wine- truly fab! Re: balsamic —- I think like most items, it just comes down to the tastes of the buyer.
    acpgee wrote: »

@acpgee - I’m super interested in that pomegranate molasses!!! That sounds amazing!! But Pom anything gets my vote. 🙌🏻☺️

While you are at the middle eastern shop, you might want to try date molasses too. Pomegranate molasses reminds me of balsamic, being sweet and sour and complex. It does miss the woody notes of balsamic though. Date molasses is sweeter but also dark and complex. It's good on pancakes.
  • Goober1142
    You guys are making me crave balsamic! One of my fav foods! I only keep Giusti Balsamic in the house. It’s like an old friend.

IMHO - the best has to come from Modena Italy.
    I always look for:
    -Aceto Balsamico Tradizionale di Modena

it’s considered the king of vinegars and one of Italy's most important culinary legacies. Literally - a great vinegar is like fine wine. For me - it’s not balsamic if it’s not from Modena.

A great vinegar from Modena from the white trebbiano grape should be syrupy and almost black.. the perfect kid of acid and sweet. Try on some Parmesan - yum!

The true Aceto Balsamico Tradizionale needs to be aged a minimum of 12 years to be certified. It should always say “ Tradizionale” look for the consortium label on it. If it doesn’t say traditional in it - it’s like drinking box wine instead of a fine wine. 🍷

My fav balsamic producer- Guiseppe Giusti, It’s also the oldest family made balsamic in the region.

Ever had it drizzled over vanilla gelato?? 😋

@Goober1142 - they sell a sampler in a wooden box- they are amazing! Ask for a bottle of “extra vecchio” . It’s aged 30 years.

8fqq4mv6z0ao.jpeg

Oh my, that looks wonderful. I'm def checking that out, thanks! Good info
  • Itmustbu
    Itmustbu Posts: 19 Member
    I am not sure if you live where it’s available but I tried the Publix brand and was surprised at how good it was but I do have pretty plain taste.
  • HilTri
    HilTri Posts: 378 Member
    Check out the So Olive website and look under vinegars. I have tried the comice pear and cranberry. So good I don’t need oil on my salads any more.