RA and exercise

I can never find workouts that are suitable for people with rheumatoid arthritis. Anyone else have the same problem?

Replies

• Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    I write my own as well for others with and without autoimmune disease.

It's slightly more complicated because of the pain factor as well as swelling but resistance training is highly beneficial for everybody especially those of us dealing with the disease.

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    what are you looking for specifically?
    there are plenty of options. walking, restorative yoga, aqua stuffs, resistance training.
  • Voyager408
    Voyager408 Posts: 3 Member
    I'm trying to find out generally because the hospital has stated that I need to lose weight and exercise more but shut down any suggestions stating that my joints can't handle the stress. At the moment I am experiencing a flare up, but normally I'm on the bike.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Voyager408 wrote: »
    I'm trying to find out generally because the hospital has stated that I need to lose weight and exercise more but shut down any suggestions stating that my joints can't handle the stress. At the moment I am experiencing a flare up, but normally I'm on the bike.

If bike is good for you, then bike is good for you :smile: .

I would seriously ask them for citations or evidence of shooting down resistance training of lifting weights in particular for RA.

Current evidence shows not only does it lower stress that causes flare ups of RA, it is beneficial because it strengthens the muscles supporting the deteriorating joints. It also has the same adherence rate as cardio for people who deal with chronic pain.

A few years ago I was told the exact same thing of "my joints couldn't handle the stress" and the outcome was the exact opposite of what the doctor was trying to prevent. Neither I or the doctor knew the current evidence for RA patients at the time. After I showed him I went back to resistance training I've only used a cane once for about a week and I'm completely med free with hardly a sign of a flare up.

Where joints or muscles of the body will always have problems if we apply the wrong dosage of stress of resistance training, it handles the correct useful dosage and grows stronger as we adapt.

Most doctors don't understand let alone even know the recommended dosage of resistance training to prescribe to their patients that don't have to deal with chronic pain let alone those who do unfortunately.

By no way am I'm saying go into a gym and have at it. I am saying if you test the waters with a experienced trainer in combating the effects of RA such as myself, its highly likely you will be in a better place within a year depending on the aggressiveness of the disease.

Baby steps of everything you do with patience for long term results is a good track to follow. Much like using a bike to start if that is tolerable.
  • kjane1
    kjane1 Posts: 5 Member
    “Motion is lotion” for your RA joints. So sorry you’re suffering but moving in anyway WILL help. If it hurts stop-find your happy in your own way. Loved the suggestions of water aerobics, restorative yoga is amazing, dance in the kitchen, walking, bike, etc.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    I have RA and it is under control because of the drug therapy that I am on. I can do almost anything. Get that RA under control and you can do anything too. Hugs darling.
  • Madwife2009
    Madwife2009 Posts: 1,369 Member
    Every physio I have seen since I was diagnosed with arthritis has told me to exercise. Any exercise but to include strength training. They were right.

I don't have RA but it's an inflammatory arthritis and if I don't "move" to a decent level every day (I walk/cycle/run and strength training) then I know about it. My joints are stiff and the pain can be intolerable. It's not a fun place to be.

And whilst I fully appreciate that it's difficult to know where to start and even how to start sometimes, start off small and gentle and work up from there. You don't need to do a specific program or workout to start with, that's something to aim for later.

Your joints will appreciate it in the long run. Hope that the flare dies down soon.
  • cyndit1
    cyndit1 Posts: 170 Member
    I have RA and it is under control because of the drug therapy that I am on. I can do almost anything. Get that RA under control and you can do anything too. Hugs darling.

This! I distance run, spin, weight train all because I am medically controlled for both lupus and RA. If I didn't more I'd be so much worse off. I do flare usually once a year but do rest when I need to if I don't feel great but those times are few and far between. Work with your rheumy to come up with a good protocol for the long term.