OK to have one high calorie meal a week?

Options
Hi! I have been set at 1200 calories per day with MFP, but my BMI is set at 1340. I workout (very intensely) 6 days a week. This past week , I think I worked out too hard because I was dizzy and light headed after a workout and my muscles were shakey. So, I'm taking today COMPLETELY off from exercising. Do you think this was a sign that I need to shake up my calorie intake? Is it GOOD for us to have one high calorie day??

I appreciate all the advice I can get!

Replies

• PrettyNpink526
    Options
    Hi! I have been set at 1200 calories per day with MFP, but my BMI is set at 1340. I workout (very intensely) 6 days a week. This past week , I think I worked out too hard because I was dizzy and light headed after a workout and my muscles were shakey. So, I'm taking today COMPLETELY off from exercising. Do you think this was a sign that I need to shake up my calorie intake? Is it GOOD for us to have one high calorie day??

• Anna_Banana
    Anna_Banana Posts: 2,939 Member
    Options
    Okay a BMI is the calories you need if you don't even get out of bed. So once you start moving you are burning more than your BMI. You want to know the number of calories that you burn on a regular day then take a way from that not your BMI.

1200 calories isn't very much, and if you are exercising you need to make sure you are also eating your exercise calories, so that your total daily intake isn't going below 1200, which puts you at risk for going into starvation mode, which will make you lose weight even slower.

I have a high calorie day at least once a week and I haven't had any problems losing weight.

I hope this helps.

Good luck
  • mickie
    mickie Posts: 183
    Options
    I work out vigorously 6 days/week also. By end of class on Saturday I am sometimes exhausted from the week. You need a day off to recuperate. You may be letting your blood sugar get too low while you're working out. Make sure you eat a carb/protein mix before you work out. This will keep up your energy (carb) but not drop your blood sugar severely after 1 hour (the protein). Before I did "spin" today I had a banana and a low fat cheese stick. I made it through with no problem. Good luck and get some rest today, you earned it!:happy:
    P.S. I have one (sort-of) cheat day/week (Sat. or Sunday). Hasn't hurt me at all. Actually it's been nice to take a break!
  • heather0mc
    heather0mc Posts: 4,656 Member
    Options
    i think its a sign that you are not eating enough. make sure you add in 75-100% of your excercise calories. you will feel so much better and loose so much more weight. and be sure to drink your water. :flowerforyou:
  • mgeek40
    Options
    I have really found that in the month that I've been here that its ok to allow yourself to check one in a while. Just be carefull of the portions and don't let it become a habit too many times.

And on the plus side the cheats taste so much better when you only get them once in a while. Had pizza from Roundtable last night for the first time in over a month and OMG I don't even remember their pizza tasting so good before. But it wasn't the taste it was the fact that I had earned it but eating the right things the rest of the week.

Just my 2 cents.
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    You need to be able to live with it for the rest of your life - that means not always being slave to a calorie counter. Feel free to splurge now and then :)
  • thejarviclan
    thejarviclan Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    This happened to me a few weeks ago. I backed off some on my exercise and added about 200 calories a day to my diet. I'm feeling a lot better now.
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options

It could be a few things you could be pushing yourself to hard and not hydrated enough ..when I first started I was dizzy 2 days but I started a multivitamin and that seemed to do the trick after a few weeks I was feeling better than ever....whats a high calorie day? I guess that would be my question...
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,015 Member
    Options
    Make sure to eat enough. I agree with eating 75-100% of the calories earned by exercise. I always did it, so have many others here, and I had no trouble losing weight.

I also had days where I just ate too much - sometimes on purpose - sometimes by mindless eating. I now have that under control, but keep logging all your calories even on days you eat too many calories.

Read Expectations and Questioning eating your exercise calories in the link below my ticker. Actually, read all of the links on that thread!

HTH.:flowerforyou:

And remember, this site is guideline, but every single person is different and will lose differently. One persons intensity for exercise is different than someone elses.

I'm learning to listen to my body. Yesterday, my body just craved food, sustenance. I overate on my calories by 500, but made sure everything I put in my mouth had a purpose. Was I eating just to eat, or did I want it for a particular reason? (examples to me: Special treat, good time with friends, needing more protein, needing more fiber). So when I woke up this morning, I felt good about the choices I made and am back on track.

Listen to your body. You guys are going to be together a really long time. :)
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    And remember, this site is guideline, but every single person is different and will lose differently. One persons intensity for exercise is different than someone elses.

I'm learning to listen to my body. Yesterday, my body just craved food, sustenance. I overate on my calories by 500, but made sure everything I put in my mouth had a purpose. Was I eating just to eat, or did I want it for a particular reason? (examples to me: Special treat, good time with friends, needing more protein, needing more fiber). So when I woke up this morning, I felt good about the choices I made and am back on track.

Listen to your body. You guys are going to be together a really long time. :)

This is a very wise post! Absolutely brilliant!
  • sassyredgirl
    sassyredgirl Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I agree with a few i at least once a week have a high calorie day and im not having a problem losing weight either. I think it shocks your system and breaks the cycle. Just my thoughts though!