DOMs (Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness)?

Options
I have notice DOMs effect. Can I still work the effected area? Sorry for the noob question.

Replies

• ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    You sure can. My leg DOMS are like WHOA if I've taken a month or two off. The degree to which I hurt after a workout tapers off with a week or two of consistency, but the key is CONSISTENCY. If I stop going back because I'm in pain, I don't stop being in pain after that workout. I just kind of have to push through it (I take a rest day in between.) and grit my teeth for the first week until my muscles acclimate. Then I have a little soreness, but it's more like a pleasant reminder that I did a good job, than it is punishment for changing up my routine.

That said, there are certain types of pain you *shouldn't* work through, and you'll learn to recognize the difference with practice. Muscle pain and other kinds of injury should feel different (even if they're both painful) and you can push through muscle pain, but you shouldn't necessarily work through other types of injury, unless your PT tells you to.

A foam roller can help alleviate some of the ouchy, but it's kind of a "hurts so good" kind of deal. :/
  • MellowMonster93
    MellowMonster93 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    You sure can. My leg DOMS are like WHOA if I've taken a month or two off. The degree to which I hurt after a workout tapers off with a week or two of consistency, but the key is CONSISTENCY. If I stop going back because I'm in pain, I don't stop being in pain after that workout. I just kind of have to push through it (I take a rest day in between.) and grit my teeth for the first week until my muscles acclimate. Then I have a little soreness, but it's more like a pleasant reminder that I did a good job, than it is punishment for changing up my routine.

That said, there are certain types of pain you *shouldn't* work through, and you'll learn to recognize the difference with practice. Muscle pain and other kinds of injury should feel different (even if they're both painful) and you can push through muscle pain, but you shouldn't necessarily work through other types of injury, unless your PT tells you to.

A foam roller can help alleviate some of the ouchy, but it's kind of a "hurts so good" kind of deal. :/

Thank you so much for the information much appreciated.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    In general, you cna work areas with DOMS, as long as you take the appropriate rest (48 hours for the muscle group that you worked out if it is strength training). However sometimes DOMS can be so painful that it can be hard to work through it effectively. If it will compromise your workout, I usually give it a bit more time in between. However you can definitely workout when sore if it is just from DOMS.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Did it this morning. It typically makes my DOMS feel a bit better.
  • MellowMonster93
    MellowMonster93 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Definitely will take all advice and information on board