Tony Horton, P90X or others ??

Options
ok been researching tony hortons dvds, and im confused lol . lots of good reviews for all especially P90X. but what to start with i have no idea. im under no illusion that the 10 min trainer is actually only 10 minutes a day, looking at, at least 30 mins. P90 says its about 35 minutes and P90X is an hour a day. but aside from the amount of time and days to commit. its the (what i can handle) aspect. has anyone done them ?????? what do you think of them and what would suit a beginner better ???

i have worked out previously on a regular basis, but not for a couple years, so im only a begginer in that sense. i just dont want to get something thats too hard and have it sit in the cabinet ....... lol i want to be able to do it straight away and have it push me of course .

just need some opinions to help me decide which to buy , if you can help please do :happy:

Replies

• ladygloria
    ladygloria Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I don't have P90 of any kind, but I do have Chalean Extreme and it's awesome! It's great for beginners in terms of pacing and can keep you repeating over and over as you become more in shape.
  • dawnemjh
    dawnemjh Posts: 1,465 Member
    Options
    I think p90x could definatley be modified for beginners. Just go at it at your own pace!!
  • abookreader2
    abookreader2 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I have p90x. I liked it...there were lots of hard parts. Some stuff I could not do especiall when it called for certain equipment, but I made do. I loved the yoga video. I would say my worst complaint about it is the time. It does take at least and hour to an hour and a half on some days. It does have workouts to choose from though. One for strength and muscle..the other is called lean, which I did. I am trying to convice myself to start back up. I really loved the karate dvd too. It was fun :)
  • Phoebe_n
    Options
    I have most of the Beachbody programs (P90, P90X, Turbo Fire, etc). They are all good because all the trainers say over and over in the workouts to do YOUR best. Take breaks if you need to, etc. The workouts are not walks in the park by any means, but they don't make you feel like you should be able to match the other people in the videos, but you should try to be encouraged by them instead. :)

Whichever workout(s) look the most interesting and fun to you (i.e. will you be more likely to do a dancier workout like TurboJam/TurboFire, or a more strength based workout like P90/P90x?), pick that and make it your goal every week to do one more push up, or wait one more minute before taking a water break from the cardio.

Hope that was some help!
  • sandijones5783
    sandijones5783 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I'm doing power 90 cause i knew i wasnt ready for anything more and i knew someone who did it. I'm on my second round of it! Its a 6 day a week workout with one rest day there is the weight training and cardio and you switch every other day. It also comes with 2 levels so you start with the easier ones until you think your ready and move on to the harder ones. I was 195 when i started the first round and now im 159.8. I have asthma too so i needed something i coyld handle and tony is very nice and tells you to take breaks if you need them and go at your own pace! I also belong to 2 amazing private groups on facebook of all people who do all different beachbody video!
  • auskelly
    auskelly Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    yes i was a bit concerned with the extra equiptment for the p90x especially the chin up bar :/ . the cost and whether it will fit the door and ummmm just doing a chin up lol.
  • neva4saken
    neva4saken Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    hi, i am the p90x and i love it!! it's broken up into sections (Dvds) but there is also a 1 hour kenpo x dvd which is yoga stretching and than a kenpo cardio workout ... the catch to p90x however is you need weights at home so what i suggested to someone else is until they get weights at home (not a lot of weights) they can do the weight exercises when they go to the gym but the kenpo x is something you can do right at home and you will break a sweat .. the other part is that while he is instructing you he will say things like if you need to take a break than take it but just keep moving meaning walk in a circle based on the room you have ... i have a bonus room so i have plenty of space so in the beginning i just walked in a circle and kept my arms moving .. hope that helps
  • Spitfirex007
    Spitfirex007 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    I started P90X when I was completely out of shape (by far the worse shape of my life) But I just stuck with it and since then I have greatly improved. So you can do it if you have the will power! You could also try something lie turbo fire. I haven't tried it myself yet. But a ton of people I've talk to love it!

EDIT: As far as equipment, I really only bought 1 band and 2 sets of dumbbells. The pull up bar is nice for those that want it! But there are ways around it. You can work the same group of muscles using dumbbells. Which is what I did.
  • cdngirl71
    cdngirl71 Posts: 2,707 Member
    Options
    I am currently doing Jillian Michael's 30Day Shred. I like it and is only 20 min too and it gets you sweating. Also have Slim in 6. I am not sure if I am ready to do the P90X but I hear it is good.
  • KyleGA
    KyleGA Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I'm just finishing round 1 of P90X and with any at home workout video routine, you can modify it and go at your own pace. My wife has done P90X with me every night and has had incredible transformation. She's lost 20 pounds so far. SW150 and CW 130. She is getting toned as well. I had different goals, to shrink my mid section but put on some lean muscle mass. Its a slow process, but can totally see the transformation.

At the end of the day, if you're eating clean and healthy any consistent routine will help...whether Power 90, P90X, Chalean...pick one, do a fit test before, document your progress and allow yourself to do a little more each time.

Props to you for taking the next step on your healthy lifestyle journey!

Cheers!
  • AuntGunka
    Options
    I have the P90X -- I really like it! It is a commitment...time wise. It is really good at helping you start out slow and do what you can and build up. They assign you a coach to help you and they really help. If you facebook there are lots of great groups with women that are doing P90 as well as any and all of the rest of beachbody workouts. Hope this helped!
  • kikislove2
    kikislove2 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    with P90X you need a pull up bar or something to hook those bands to on the ceiling to pull down. if you don't want to go buy stuff then i would start with Power 90 or even go with something fun like zumba. you are correct that the 10 min workouts have to be stacked so that you get a full workout, or even if you do them at different parts of the day, you still have to do more than one a day. You can even take it back to the old school and get tae-bo, that is ALWAYS a good workout. good luck.
  • dma1988e
    dma1988e Posts: 11
    Options
    I think I have all the Beach Body DVDs. Insanity is insane--way to advanced for me. Chalean is awesome, but I can't seem to move that fast with so many combination moves. Wish i could. I love Tony's workouts because I can actually do them. 10 minute trainer is good, for variety, but I think P90 would be best to start. P90x is the next level. Just my thoughts.
  • seano4fitness
    Options
    I've done P90X twice and have also helped a number of other relative 'newbies' with it as well - it can be extreme yet can also be very accessible with modifications. I think it's a great balance with the strength training, stretching, abdominal work, plyometrics, kenpo and yoga.

Let me know if you have further questions about it! Would love to help spread more of the helpful P90X love & success around - great stuff!!
  • dieselbugparrot
    Options
    I have done P90X. It is definitely a fantastic workout!!! If you don't want to have the motivation or commitment to take on such a killer workout, then go with the 10 Minute Trainer or P90. I have heard good things about both of those programs.
  • tobsam2
    tobsam2 Posts: 4
    Options
    I just started P90X. Finished my first week yesterday. Today is my rest day. I only started because my jogging partner bought it and wanted me to do it with her. So I did. I couldn't afford to buy it. . . I wasn't really all that excited, though I knew I needed to work on my strength and shed some of this weight that seemed to be stuck in my original routine.

I am officially in love with it. I was so sore at points this week that sitting was painful and laughing hurt =D . . . but I got through it and I'm loving the new challenge and the fact I dropped 6 lbs in one week; thats also due to following the Fat Shredder diet (included in the P90X box set) along with the workout program. I know that pace of weight loss will slow down . . . but it sure encouraged me!

It definitely focuses on strength building . . . which is, apparently, what I needed. There are three different tracks of workout regimes you can follow . . . we went with the classic.

Let us know how you like it if you end up going with it. This is the first workout dvd regime that I've ever tried. I'm not disappointed so far! =D
  • sshobbs
    sshobbs Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

You might take a look at Power90 -- it's the workout that was out before P90X, and it's just a bit easier. I've also heard good things about 10 Minute Trainer, but have not done the workouts myself.

I've been doing P90X and some of Tony Horton's other programs for about 3 years now, and he's a rock star in our household. :) I am a Beachbody Coach (which is basically a distributor for the company that creates those programs), so I have quite a bit of experience with the company. Let me know if you have other questions! Feel free to send me a message here on MFP, or through my website: www.smellslikefitness.com.

-Susan
  • tobsam2
    tobsam2 Posts: 4
    Options
    Definitely a total workout! You won't need to add anything with the P90X plan! Cardio, strength, stretching, core, it's all there! A lot of dvd's only hit the cardio bit and/or touch on strength.
  • auskelly
    Options
    thanks heaps for all your responses :smile: from whats been said , im thinking, i might be leaning toward p90 to start with and work my way up to p90x, ill look up a little more on the p90 program tonight. the results ive seen from p90x are amazing though a lot had less belly than i do lol. ill let you know what i decide and order :wink: thanks heaps for all your help.
  • auskelly
    Options
    I don't have P90 of any kind, but I do have Chalean Extreme and it's awesome! It's great for beginners in terms of pacing and can keep you repeating over and over as you become more in shape.

yes while looking at tony hortons programs ive come across chalene extreme and turbo fire and just confused myself more lol. though i dont know if i could do turbofire seems pretty full on as its cardio and id probably fall on my face :/. one would think doing research would help but im just more confused :( indecisive much lol