Starting out with strength training

Options
I've been exercising regularly for a few years now, mainly cardio (running and the elliptical, sometimes stairs and rowing), with some yoga and occasional free weights mixed in. I really want to start doing more strength training. I am a fairly active person- I exercise at the gym or run 3 to 5 miles outside at least 4 times per week, sometimes more like 6 times per week, but when I have attempted strength training I realize that I am actually quite weak. I would like to become stronger and increase the amount of muscle that I have. What have people (especially women) done to start strength training? If you could be as specific as possible that would be helpful. Thanks!

Replies

• gelove84
    gelove84 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Checkout Stronglifts, Starting Strength, or New Rules of Lifting for women
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Look into "New rules of Lifting for Women" (a book)

or check out Stronglifts 5x5 - website and phone app - http://stronglifts.com/5x5/
    or Ice Cream Fitness - website - http://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/jason-blaha-ice-cream-fitness-5x5-novice-workout

• Linnaea27
    Linnaea27 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    I have finally committed to starting strength training, myself! It sounds like we're very similar in exercise habits-- I have always done mostly cardio (running, hiking, skiing, biking) and sometimes circuit training with weights and yoga. For a long time I'd planned to start weight training more regularly and with heavier weights, since I'm pretty weak too even though I am in good cardio shape.

On the recommendation of lots of people on here, I purchased the book New Rules of Lifting for Women. There are other programs which I am sure others will mention later, but I chose this one because it explains the moves and their purpose/what they're exercising, it provides at-home workout alternatives for all moves that require special gym equipment, and it provides a lot of variation between workouts and as they progress-- important for me since I get quite bored doing the same exercise sequence over and over (I had actually tried something called the AllPro Beginner Routine, which can be found via Google search, but found it dull since the moves are always the same).

I guess since you go to the gym already you won't necessarily need to get weights of your own, which simplifies things! I don't have a good nearby gym and find that having to go out somewhere to work out is a barrier to actually doing it, for me, so I bought some adjustable dumbbells that go up to 105 pounds (together), to use instead of a barbell (I would use one if I had a gym but storing dumbbells is easier in my tiny house where every corner serves about 3 purposes).

Anyway, I just started last week and am hoping to continue indefinitely! I still do a lot of cardio exercise, since that is my favorite, but am looking forward to getting stronger and having better muscle definition. Others may have more solid advice for you. . . sorry to blather on.
  • pinkiezoom
    pinkiezoom Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I have finally committed to starting strength training, myself! It sounds like we're very similar in exercise habits-- I have always done mostly cardio (running, hiking, skiing, biking) and sometimes circuit training with weights and yoga. For a long time I'd planned to start weight training more regularly and with heavier weights, since I'm pretty weak too even though I am in good cardio shape.

On the recommendation of lots of people on here, I purchased the book New Rules of Lifting for Women. There are other programs which I am sure others will mention later, but I chose this one because it explains the moves and their purpose/what they're exercising, it provides at-home workout alternatives for all moves that require special gym equipment, and it provides a lot of variation between workouts and as they progress-- important for me since I get quite bored doing the same exercise sequence over and over (I had actually tried something called the AllPro Beginner Routine, which can be found via Google search, but found it dull since the moves are always the same).

I guess since you go to the gym already you won't necessarily need to get weights of your own, which simplifies things! I don't have a good nearby gym and find that having to go out somewhere to work out is a barrier to actually doing it, for me, so I bought some adjustable dumbbells that go up to 105 pounds (together), to use instead of a barbell (I would use one if I had a gym but storing dumbbells is easier in my tiny house where every corner serves about 3 purposes).

Anyway, I just started last week and am hoping to continue indefinitely! I still do a lot of cardio exercise, since that is my favorite, but am looking forward to getting stronger and having better muscle definition. Others may have more solid advice for you. . . sorry to blather on.

Good advice i may get the book myself tomorrow as i want to start with the weights too.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Read a book about it, cause this isnt like running a quick 5K in the morning, you're gonna need to understand what you are doing and how to adapt. Thats the best advice I can give!
  • flowerf509
    flowerf509 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Any advice for someone like me that has problem with lower back hernya?which kind of exercises for strenght can i do?๐Ÿค”๐Ÿค”๐Ÿค”๐Ÿค”
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    Any advice for someone like me that has problem with lower back hernya?which kind of exercises for strenght can i do?๐Ÿค”๐Ÿค”๐Ÿค”๐Ÿค”

This thread is from 2014. You should probably start a new thread.