bruises

Options
i've always bruised easy but it seems like the more weight i lose, the more bruises i get. and they're not small ones. these are the size of my fist, appear within a matter of minutes, last for about 2 weeks before they start to turn greenish then fade after 3 weeks.

is it just that i dont have as much fat so i'm more tender? or maybe theres a food type i should be eating more?

anyone else having this problem?

Replies

• EuroDriver
    EuroDriver Posts: 254
    Options
    well first tell ur husband to quit beating u or i willl be paying him a visit...

n i bruise easy certin places... my legs... got sprayed down with a paintball gun week n half ago and it still purple just starting to fade now lol
  • hm_day
    hm_day Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    i've always bruised easy but it seems like the more weight i lose, the more bruises i get. and they're not small ones. these are the size of my fist, appear within a matter of minutes, last for about 2 weeks before they start to turn greenish then fade after 3 weeks.

is it just that i dont have as much fat so i'm more tender? or maybe theres a food type i should be eating more?

anyone else having this problem?

If it continues, see a doctor. It's possible you may be becoming anemic. Are you eating enough iron-filled foods? Try meats, dark green veggies, peanut butter, etc. I'm severely anemic and I bruise very easily (had a "rain" of bruises around my hips from being TICKLED).
  • lisacarper
    Options
    vitamin C with bioflavanoids will help
  • brittanyjeanxo
    brittanyjeanxo Posts: 1,831 Member
    Options
    Are you anemic?
  • LolasEpicJourney
    LolasEpicJourney Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    Could you be anemic?? I got really bad bruises for a while - when I was taking pain killers for my knees last time I hurt them. It had a blood thinner in it that helped me to bruise easier.
    Are you taking any medications or anything different from normal?
  • Nanadena
    Nanadena Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Plus rubbing the bruised area helps move the blood out and the bruise leaves faster.
  • MeAgain2011
    MeAgain2011 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Time to check in with your doctor. Could be nothing, could be anemia, could be more serious than that.
  • SWEETS1234
    SWEETS1234 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    This happened to me as well. I've always burised easily but now it ridiculous. I bump something I'm brusied, my friend grab my arm I'm bruised. I'm trying to take my vitamins to see if that help.
  • gradgal01
    gradgal01 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    1. Should you be getting bruises? Are you walking into things? Falling down a lot? Playing professional football?

OR

2. Do the bruises just show up out of nowhere (or nowhere that you can remember)?

If it's the first, bruises take a long time to heal when you actually get hurt. If it's the second -- could you be anemic? (If you've ever had a blood test, you would know if it was ongoing.) It's a blood problem, and it can make you bruise easily with "minor trauma" -- that is you aren't kickboxing your bed frame. It's possible that this can be due to food -- specifically, deficiencies in IRON, B12 and/or FOLATE. Either way, the next time you visit your primary doc, I'd mention something. Abnormal bruising is abnormal.
  • Barbeliza
    Barbeliza Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    This is really not the place to get medical advice. Even a physician cannot tell you while you are bruising from a short description posted online. Much of the advice posted is well-meaning, but its all speculation.
    If you are concerned about a health issue, see your primary care provider - be that physician, nurse practitioner or physician assistant.
  • dez_yaoichan
    Options
    thanks so much.

it's anything i bump into that bruises me. i walked into the arm of my sofa the other day (like i have a millon times) and tho it didn't hurt too bad, the bruise was. mostly it's my egs the bruise -also the place i've lost the most weight- thats why i was wondering if it was just bc i didnt have as much cushion as i was used to. and thats why i was wondering if anyone else had the same problem while losing weight.

i know i dont eat enough iron. but i have been looking for some good iron daily vitamns (i have a pill phobia- my throat closes up and cant breathe- so i've been looking for the gummies)

as for seeing a dr about being anemic... sadly i'm too old to use my moms insurance and student loans are too much and i haven't been able to get my own... (i know, go ahead and smack me around a bit) i actually havent been to see an actual dr in... close to 9 years i think.
  • dez_yaoichan
    Options
    This is really not the place to get medical advice. Even a physician cannot tell you while you are bruising from a short description posted online. Much of the advice posted is well-meaning, but its all speculation.
    If you are concerned about a health issue, see your primary care provider - be that physician, nurse practitioner or physician assistant.

i'm not asking for medical advice. just wondering if anyone else was having the same problem and what they found worked for them.
  • ambermichon
    ambermichon Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    weird I was just about to post this. I read an article on LiveStrong.com today that said when you lose weight and lift weight/build muscle, the fat padding between the skin and muscle is severely reduced and your skin thins as it does with age which can cause bruises you wouldnt have normally seen before much, much more visible. I do run into things but before I lost weight wouldnt bruise and now I do.
  • ambermichon
    ambermichon Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    And yes I bruise in the areas I have developed the most muscle or lost the most fat...my arms and legs.
  • leelee03
    leelee03 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    You should see a doctor. You may be anemic...but easy bruising is also a sign of more serious things like leukemia.
  • scagneti
    scagneti Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    It's odd, but I'm the exact opposite. I haven't bruised in ages but when I was nearly 200 lbs, I'd have tons of bruises I couldn't explain. I am making sure to get plenty of iron though, so maybe that has something to do with it??
  • slieber
    slieber Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    I bruised a lot as l lost weight. Found out from my doc that I have a condition where the blood cells are very large, and so bruising happens (even when I don't bump into things). It mirrors leukemia but is not deadly. Taking B12 helps this condition. I didn't bruise as easily when I was well overweight.