Should I shift from weight loss exercise to strength already

Options
ansarmajeed
ansarmajeed Posts: 1 Member
edited October 2019 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi, I started working out and healthy diet since 1st July 19 and was weighed 88 KG. Till now, exactly 4 month, I have lost 18 KG and now my weight is 70 KG. I have been going to gym about 5-6 days a week and mostly do 20 minute treadmill and about 40-45 minutes of mixed exercises including burpees, jumping jacks, leg raises, mountain climbing etc etc.
However my BMI is still 27 as my height is 161cm and considered still overweight. I want your suggestions if I should start strength exercises/ body building already or should loose more weight and get BMI to normal first? I want my body physique to be nicely built with hopefully 6 packs abs but also want it to be slim, not bulky. Here are pictures of weight loss journey
After weight loss:
uwbidc1agy6t.jpeg
Before Weight loss
efq8ir46r3ma.png

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    Start lifting!
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Definitely start lifting
  • jeagogo
    jeagogo Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    If you are going to start lifting and concerned about how it will impact weight loss progress (it may seem to go slower if you are putting on muscle mass while losing weight) then I recommend getting a body composition scan done, if at all possible. Some gyms have InBody scanners which are pretty good at showing muscle mass vs fat vs water weight.
  • fairytale_babe
    fairytale_babe Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    My opinion is f**k BMI don't even worry about it. You want your body fat percentage to go down yes but increase your skeletal muscle mass together, not separately. Weight training burns fat for longer. You will lose fat, gain muscle at the same time but don't be concerned about your bmi you're going to gain muscle which will fluctuate your weight. Consistency not perfection.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    Weight loss and strength training are not mutually exclusive. You can definitely do both.
    PS The body scanners at the gym are not reliable. If you really want to know body composition, get a bod pod, dexa scan, or hydro tank evaluation.