1,200 calories and binging

Options
Hi myfitnesspal has set my calorie intake to 1,200 calories because I’m 4 ft 11 and don’t do much exercise but I always end up binge eating when I eat that amount, can anyone give me any advice as to why that might be happening and what I should do? Thanks so much

Replies

• cnjg6677
    cnjg6677 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Hi !! I’m 4”11 also and have a 1200 calorie allowance to maintain my weight I wish I could help you but I’m also lookin for an answer
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    Well, what are you binging ON? What are you eating when you're at 1200 calories? Would it be worthwhile to add more exercise to your day to get more calories to eat while staying in deficit?

It's hard for us to be helpful because your diary is friends only and we can't see what you're eating to offer any troubleshooting.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    What is your current weight and goal weight?
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Sweepy1234 wrote: »
    Hi myfitnesspal has set my calorie intake to 1,200 calories because I’m 4 ft 11 and don’t do much exercise but I always end up binge eating when I eat that amount, can anyone give me any advice as to why that might be happening and what I should do? Thanks so much

How much weight do you have to lose, and how many lbs per week did you set yourself up to lose?

Do you typically hit your protein, fat, and fiber goals?

How often are you binging? Have you had a problem with that before?

It's possible you're trying to lose weight too fast, and slowing down will be more practical.

If you aren't physically hungry eating 1200, it's possible you are having to cut out too many of your fave foods to hit that number. Can you find a way to fit in some treat foods occasionally?

Are you finding your dieting stressful? Or is there something else stressful going on right now? Sometimes bingeing is strictly psychological, a response to stress.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,922 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »

How much weight do you have to lose, and how many lbs per week did you set yourself up to lose?

It's possible you're trying to lose weight too fast, and slowing down will be more practical.

If you aren't physically hungry eating 1200, it's possible you are having to cut out too many of your fave foods to hit that number. Can you find a way to fit in some treat foods occasionally?

Are you finding your dieting stressful? Or is there something else stressful going on right now? Sometimes bingeing is strictly psychological, a response to stress.

@Sweepy1234 since you are 4'11" these are important questions to answer.

For taller women (and maybe you as well) https://www.aworkoutroutine.com/1200-calorie-diet/

binge-low-calorie-diet.jpg
  • Sweepy1234
    Sweepy1234 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    apullum wrote: »

My current weight is 58kg and I want to lose 2 stone around
  • Sweepy1234
    Sweepy1234 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »

I have around 20-30 pounds to lose, I’m currently around 130 pounds. I try to eat a yoghurt and fruit
    For breakfast, then 350 calories for lunch and 350 for tea then I tend to have snacks around 200 calories (that’s what I plan to do but I always end up binging) and I have always had a problem with binge eating, I used to be really big because of it and in the morbidly obese category.

It could be down to stress, definitely in the past anyway but I have kind of gotten better at overcoming the binging. I’ve always comfort ate, but I genuinely still feel hungry on 1,200 calories and think of food constantly, if I’m not dieting and just eat whatever (in normal amounts, no binging) I don’t even think of food unless I’m hungry so maybe it is because I’m not eating enough.
  • lillola96
    lillola96 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    You could try intermittent fasting. It doesn't work for everyone, for me on 1200 cal it worked well as I was eating only 2 main meals a day instead of 3, eating between 11am - 7pm. It took some getting used, but I no longer wake up hungry and am fine without food before 11am. Black coffee and lots of water only until lunch.
  • weight3049
    weight3049 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I would eat over my calories everyday if I didn't workout. Just go for 1 hour walk daily that will give you an extra 200-300 calories.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    apullum wrote: »

My current weight is 58kg and I want to lose 2 stone around

What weight loss per week goal did you choose? If it was 2 lbs, switch it to 1 or even 0.5. With only 2 stone to lose, you shouldn't be set at 2 lbs per week. That should give you some more calories to play with.