salad calories

Options
If a restaurant salad’s calories are listed, does that INCLUDE the dressing? Is it everything the menu lists unless there’s a notation?

Replies

• ghudson92
    ghudson92 Posts: 2,061 Member
    Options
    Typically, yes. If the menu lists dressing as a part of the salad then the nutritional information will include that.
  • AmyG1982
    AmyG1982 Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    Typically. Tho I’ve found some places won’t count any side bread that comes with it
  • FinelyFermented
    FinelyFermented Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Typically no. I few years ago I decided to go on a salad kick. I started gaining weight and realized by the time I correctly added up all the calories in my masterpieces, I was in the 1100-1200 calorie range🤣
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    If a restaurant salad’s calories are listed, does that INCLUDE the dressing? Is it everything the menu lists unless there’s a notation?

Depends on the salad. If the salad name includes the dressing like "Chicken Bacon Ranch Salad" then the dressing is usually included. If the salad makes no mention of a dressing flavor it is usually not included. This rule only applies if the nutritional information is vague. Many will say if the dressing is included or not.

Most of the time I am pretty uptight about salads. I will stick to menu options with 2 or less caloric ingredients and ask for the dressing on the side. I often believe a burger is more likely to be the correct calorie count than a salad with 3 or more higher calorie ingredients.

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I have found that if the salad comes to the table dressed, the dressing is included in the calorie count. If you choose the dressing it will not be. If the menu or website offers a nutritional breakdown (generally only the website will), look and see how many calories come from fat. A lot of fat calories means the dressing is included.

For example: Panera does include dressing and you can see the breakdown on the website or if you ask for that info in the store they will give you an information sheet. The menu only lists total calories.
  • prettybird70
    prettybird70 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    hmm. good answers. the are calories listed for this particular salad (grilled chicken salad) but then each component is also listed, like “croutons for grilled chicken salad”, “fries (yes fries) for grilled chicken salad” etc. Do you think this breakdown is given to subtract from the total if you go without? anyone in the western pa area is free to look at the eat n park menu! that would be great! i’m looking for the calories for the grilled chicken salad (dressing included?) thanks!!
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,596 Member
    edited November 2019
    Options
    hmm. good answers. the are calories listed for this particular salad (grilled chicken salad) but then each component is also listed, like “croutons for grilled chicken salad”, “fries (yes fries) for grilled chicken salad” etc. Do you think this breakdown is given to subtract from the total if you go without? anyone in the western pa area is free to look at the eat n park menu! that would be great! i’m looking for the calories for the grilled chicken salad (dressing included?) thanks!!

It's not going to include the dressing. It's not listed in the nutrition calculator nor the description of the salad. And the dressings are listed separately on the pull down menu.

And, yes, if you delete an item in the nutrition calculator and hit recalculate, it will subtract those calories. :)
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,334 Member
    Options
    I always take my own dressing
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options

I just took a look and I agree with glassyo, the salad dressing isn't included.
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,579 Member
    Options
    I always figured it was included, I dupe my favorite salad at home and know that salad dressing is included (Dos Coyotes Yucatan salad) as the calories are way higher than mine. If it comes with bread it's not included.
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    Croutons are tricky. You can make them with Pam and garlic salt in a skillet at about a calorie each. But, your favorite fine dining restaurant will use a stick of butter to make a batch of a couple dozen 800 calories for the butter. In other words, they could be 30-40 calories EACH.