Ruining the Impossible Burger

I love the Impossible burger- yummy plant based "burger". One of my Pilates instructors was talking about it before class yesterday- that it's really not good for you, it's engineered, there's soy in it (is soy horrible??) etc. I'm not eating it a lot- maybe twice a month as a treat. Please let me love it! I mean...how "bad" for me is it?

Replies

• SLL1803
    SLL1803 Posts: 49 Member
    Soy is not bad for you. Some people claim it is, but I've never seen any evidence. It's been widely eaten for hundreds if not thousands of years.

Yes, the impossible burger is processed, but so is any fast food.
  • lauragreenbaum
    lauragreenbaum Posts: 1,017 Member
    I love the Impossible burger- yummy plant based "burger". One of my Pilates instructors was talking about it before class yesterday- that it's really not good for you, it's engineered, there's soy in it (is soy horrible??) etc. I'm not eating it a lot- maybe twice a month as a treat. Please let me love it! I mean...how "bad" for me is it?

When somebody tells me something I know is wrong, like your Pilates instructor suggesting soy is something nobody should eat, it makes me doubt them not only on the subject that they're wrong about, but also on the subject that they're supposed to know about (like Pilates), because they obviously have no ability to judge their own lack of knowledge. If they don't know when they're just spouting nonsense, how do know when they're right or wrong about Pilates? So I wouldn't take this person's advice about anything.

She's actually a great instructor- it may be that she's allergic to soy. I'll ask her.
  • Sunshine_And_Sand
    Sunshine_And_Sand Posts: 1,320 Member
    I'm still waiting for impossible french fries. :/

I think Burger King did have some lower calorie fries about 5 years ago. They called them Satisfries. They were crinkle cut instead of their typical style fries. I think their claim on those was that there was a different batter on them that didn’t allow as much oil to be absorbed during frying them. They didn’t last very long...
  • Luke_rabbit
    Luke_rabbit Posts: 1,031 Member
    https://foodinsight.org/sound-science-history-of-soy-and-health/

This article gives info on soy and soy studies. At the bottom is a section on soy misconceptions including breast cancer risk. You will have no luck changing the mind of someone who is convinced soy is bad, though.

I've been pescatarian for over 20 years, eating mostly a vegetarian diet. I haven't yet tried any of these newer higher calorie faux meats. I do use faux meats, but I generally select ones that are lower calorie and, ideally, with a decent nutrition profile. My go to for a quick burger (if I haven't made my own bean burger) is the Boca vegan one (now called Turk'y). It's under 100 calories and is healthy enough for me.

I see no reason you shouldn't enjoy your occasional impossible burger!