Pondering (MEV) Minimum Effective Volume

Options
I've come across the concept of Minimum Effective Volume from Mike Israetel recently. I've been out of it for over 10 years and just started working out again 18 weeks ago.

I've started with 10 sets for chest/back and 8 sets for biceps/triceps and was planning to add a set every 4 weeks to see how many sets I need to get results. At the moment I'm growing slowly so unable to tell what's working. The one thing that is increasing is my ability to lift heavier each week but I'm wondering whether that's just muscle memory from being in the gym over 10 years ago.

One idea I've come across is that sets can be viewed as a dial, if you do 10 you'll get results, 12 you get slightly better results than 10, 14 you get better results than 12 and so on.

Makes me wonder whether I should start at my Minimum Effective Volume and stay there for as long as I can while making gains or whether I increase my sets now to make the best gains possible.

How do you guys pick the number of sets you do and do you often wonder whether you should be doing more to get better gains?

Replies

• Lolalikeslolagets
    Lolalikeslolagets Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Is this what you’re referencing? https://renaissanceperiodization.com/hypertrophy-training-guide-central-hub/

As I understand it you start out with fewer sets and work yourself up over a period of weeks, then deload and repeat. I do 3 sets the first week and by week 6 or so I’m at 7-8 and fried and begging for deload.. but making steady progress over the last few years..
  • 84creative
    84creative Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    That’s exactly what I’m referring too. I’ve taken the RIR concept working from 3/2/1/0RIR but I have added the extra set each week that Mike suggests working from MEV to MRV. I heard Mike say on one podcast that this advice is mostly for advanced bodybuilders and as I’m just starting out again and 18 weeks in, it may be overkill for me. At the moment I’m just trying to figure out my MEV and wondering whether I should stick there.
  • 84creative
    Options
    Haven't added the extra set that should have said.
  • 84creative
    Options
    Is this what you’re referencing? https://renaissanceperiodization.com/hypertrophy-training-guide-central-hub/

As I understand it you start out with fewer sets and work yourself up over a period of weeks, then deload and repeat. I do 3 sets the first week and by week 6 or so I’m at 7-8 and fried and begging for deload.. but making steady progress over the last few years..

How long have you being training like this for? I came across a Revive Stronger snippet on Instagram yesterday and they said that this type of training is quite gruelling and can affect your sleep and make you irritable and to weight up the pros and cons.
  • Lolalikeslolagets
    Lolalikeslolagets Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    84creative wrote: »

How long have you being training like this for? I came across a Revive Stronger snippet on Instagram yesterday and they said that this type of training is quite gruelling and can affect your sleep and make you irritable and to weight up the pros and cons.

Ugh! I start typing out this long reply and then my app keep crashing!! Will message you later 🙂 thanks for the friend request
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    84creative wrote: »
    How do you guys pick the number of sets you do and do you often wonder whether you should be doing more to get better gains?
    I Program according to the type of block, training history, load management, and response with auto regulation in place.

In short, there are many variables in programming a template. If you plan on programming for yourself or others, I suggest gathering individual data from past blocks and base decisions from there first.

• 84creative
    Options
    Great advice. Would you recommend taking body measurements at the end of each 4 week Mesocycle or at the end of 3rd Mesocycle to determine when to add extra sets?

Assuming I’m doing the following:

Meso 1: 5 to 10 rep range
    Meso 2: 10 to 15 rep range
    Meso 4: 15 to 20 rep range

Can’t decide whether to complete 12 weeks of workouts before adding sets or to add sets every 4th week.