Guitarists who have lost weight?

Any fellow guitarists out there who have lost weight? I'm curious how things have changed for you re: playing. A few things have changed for me: for one, at my biggest I could hardly play my dreadnought acoustic any more -- it was just too far to reach. If I did play it I had to have the strap on, even when sitting. Now after 85 lb down it is quite playable again. It's like having an old friend back!

Also I'm finding I'm having some upper back pain when I stand for longer gigs. I've been combating this by trying to consciously improve my posture both on stage and off, and that's been helping (I'm a lifelong slumper, unfortunately). Also I'm planning to hunt for a lighter electric guitar. Though I love my old Schecter, it weighs as much as a Les Paul.

Finally, I've found my picking hand is in a different position so palm muting has changed some too. Not unworkable but definitely adjusting to it all still.

Curious to know what other musicians might have have had to adjust to after weight loss.

Thanks for reading, good luck on your journey!

Replies

• nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 1,992 Member
    After a long hiatus away from guitar, I am opening up my cases and getting back into it. I basically gave everything up for 16 years except food and lots of it. Gained 100 lbs in the process...along with depression, anxiety and very poor health. I am now down 82 lbs and still losing, getting in shape. Here is one my favorite guitars I have.
    chxmciv4icfm.jpg
  • LouVee186000
    LouVee186000 Posts: 81 Member
    After a long hiatus away from guitar, I am opening up my cases and getting back into it. I basically gave everything up for 16 years except food and lots of it. Gained 100 lbs in the process...along with depression, anxiety and very poor health. I am now down 82 lbs and still losing, getting in shape. Here is one my favorite guitars I have.
    chxmciv4icfm.jpg

Dude. NICE PRS.

Congrats on your excellet progress on the health journey and HAVE FUN getting back into guitar!

• Kotuliak
    Kotuliak Posts: 259 Member
    Would be interesting to hear from Chick Corea (though not a guitar player). He's lost tons of weight (my guess would be close to a 100 lbs), and it must've affected the physical aspects of his playing as well.
  • LouVee186000
    LouVee186000 Posts: 81 Member
    Kotuliak wrote: »
    Would be interesting to hear from Chick Corea (though not a guitar player). He's lost tons of weight (my guess would be close to a 100 lbs), and it must've affected the physical aspects of his playing as well.

Agreed!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!