Any military wives that can relate?

Options
I am prior service Army and my husband did 8 years in the Marines. I am a military wife who is ashamed of being so over weight. My husband says I love you any way but I dont love me like this and I know his military buddies are thinking he married that??? I am ready to take charge and take this head on! HOOOOAAAHHH! any Military personel or wives that can relate?

Replies

• scubaangel
    scubaangel Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I can, my partner is serving and I'm ex Territorial, but gotten extremely lazy since we moved in together. Decided to get a grip and sort myself out which is why I'm here, although only a stone or so overweight. Just need to get the all clear from my Dr and I can start running/going to the gym again and fingers crossed start some proper weightloss.
  • Janie5605
    Janie5605 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    My husband is active duty Air force and i feel the same way. I see the girls his friends bring around and im just like why did you marry me? but they do love us for us. I want to go to the gym with him but dont want to embarrass him in front of his friends/co-workers so i just dont go because what if i run into one of them. You're not alone! it's hard being in such a fit community too. I know there are other out of shape or overweight wives out there but i feel like all i see are the size 2 hotties. feel free to add me btw
  • Margarette
    Margarette Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Hey there,

I am not overweight but definitely not what I used to be when he met and married me. He looks amazing and I seem to just be falling apart. But of course he tells me I look amazing with the rivers and all going across my belly from the pregnancy! LOL Well anyways if you want feel free to add me! Good luck and God Bless!
  • myboysmomx2
    myboysmomx2 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I can definitely relate. I'm the wife of a Marine veteran and current cop. One of my goals is to "Rock that Dress" at the Marine Corps Ball in November. I've already lost 37 pounds so far, so I think I'll be able to wear a figure fitting gown then...I can't wait, especially after years of going to the ball carrying around too much weight! You can read my blog and view my progress pic's here: http://www.transformingabetterme.blogspot.com/ You CAN do it! Semper Fi!
  • vkcooper
    vkcooper Posts: 35
    Options
    Yes our Marine Corps ball, and might I add the first one I have ever been to, is right around the corner (Nov 5). I am so nervous because all his friends and prior officers are there! My husband is also a cop and man the pressure is on! I feel like if I do not lose some weight I am going to look like a whale in my navy blue dress. I want to be healthy for him, but I am a full time student and bartender and time is of the essence!
    Thanks for the support ladies!
  • RDH77
    RDH77 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I can absolutely relate. I've been out (AD AF) for 10 years and the pounds just totally crept on. Two kids, and being a SAHM killed my energy and because I didn't make my health my priority, it got away from me. My husband is still AD AF and keeps up with his PT. My turning point was two months ago when I had to buy a formal dress for his SNCO induction ceremony. We had pics done and I'm utterly embarrassed at how fat I look in my dress. I had let too many excuses stop me from doing this. My husband has been fantastic at supporting me as I try (yet again) to tackle losing weight and getting back to being the athletic person I used to be. If anyone wants, please feel free to add me as a friend on here!
  • CindyLynn28
    CindyLynn28 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I can relate too. My husband is active duty Army.

I'm hoping to one day be the 'hot' wife at all of the various functions we go to. :)
  • myboysmomx2
    Options
    Yes our Marine Corps ball, and might I add the first one I have ever been to, is right around the corner (Nov 5). I am so nervous because all his friends and prior officers are there! My husband is also a cop and man the pressure is on! I feel like if I do not lose some weight I am going to look like a whale in my navy blue dress. I want to be healthy for him, but I am a full time student and bartender and time is of the essence!
    Thanks for the support ladies!

Oh wow! You are totally going to love going to the ball! Remember that not everyone there is in wonderful shape, and know that those Marines are some of the finest men and women in the world! They will be happy that you are there! Go with your husband and take his arm proudly...be yourself and have a good time. It is so humbling...such an honor to be in a room with those who proudly defend our country. I don't know how much weight you want to lose, but if you're not to your goal weight by then, you can always use this years pictures to compare to next years pictures when you're gonna rock that dress! I didn't like last years pictures, but I would never miss the ball either. You're gonna have a GREAT time! You can do it.

I posted a challenge about a month ago called, "Rock that Dress Challenge" for military wives, especially for those going to the USMC Ball to help motivate us to reach our goals for the ball or other special military event that they're going to. I only got a response from a couple of people, so I had the moderators remove the challenge from the boards. After seeing your post, I may revive the challenge by opening it up to all military & military spouses who are looking to "Rock their Dress." What do you think?
  • sparklesxo
    Options
    Yes, yes, and yes! I feel like all the other wives and girlfriends are hot and I am not...even though he says I am. I see these girls with their little kids and I'm like how come they have 3 kids and are in such great shape, and here I am with no kids and NOT in shape! We are PCSing at the end of October and I am ready to start fresh in a new place, and to finally be a hot army wife!
  • MereMe
    MereMe Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I can relate! My husband enlisted almost 2 years ago. While he assured me for the past decade that he loves me "just like [I am] - no matter what size", he said (I think he let it slip out) "Military wives aren't out of shape" once he got back from training and was stacked. *OUCH* Having 3 kids in 6 years has definantly left me out of shape and with alot to lose, but I am up at 4am these days working on being "fine"! ;) I wanna be a cute wife too!
  • sweetdianachka
    sweetdianachka Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Agreed with everyone! I hate being around so many fit people and feeling like a sore thumb. My husband actually isn't in the best shape because he's on a permanent profile, but he can still make tape. I doubt i've ever been fit enough to do that!!

Happy for the extra support, ladies, especially here in Korea. :)
  • Sarah8311493
    Options
    I feel your pain. I'm ex serving and a wife of a very fit military man. We used to argue about him putting fitness before coming home to spend time with me(sitting on the sofa doing nothing). It all changed about 3 months ago when i started to get back into my running again. Now i'm back to loving it again i can remember why fitness was and is such a priority for him.

Don't worry you'll get there. My husband and i had a discussion not that long ago in which he said he wouldn't care if i got bigger, as long as i kept my fitness up and was healthy. I think he's right.

Also, a bit of advice about living in a fit environment....embrace it!!! It's much better than living around fat couch potatoes. Misery loves company just as much as feeling good and fit rubs off. It is only horrible unkind people who will take the mick or laugh at seeing a bigger person work out. It's likely that when people see a bigger person running around the base they're thinking 'go on girl, you can do it' or 'look at that girl working hard to better herself'.

You can do it, once you start exercise it just gets better and better.

Good luck
  • Jenscan
    Jenscan Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    No service here, just wanted to pop in and thank all of you for your service -- USA or otherwise. You all ROCK!!!
  • vkcooper
    vkcooper Posts: 35
    Options
    i think yes lets do it! Lets support each other to rock the dress!!!!
  • myboysmomx2
    Options
    Okay girls...Just got back from vacation this afternoon. Later tonight, I'll re-post my "Rock that Dress" challenge for all of us military wives. However, I'd like to open it up to people who want to support our military too. Now that my husband is no longer active, we still participate in a local military support group which sends packages overseas to our troops. This group also helps/supports families of our deployed military heroes. Having this strong support network back home for our troops helps them to carry on and serve proudly. I believe opening the group to more people will help garner more participation. If you agree to this please let me know and I'll start the challenge. We're going to church in just a little while, so it will be late, but I promise I'll post it sometime late tonight :-)
  • vkcooper
    Options
    Let me know how I sign up for Rock that Dress I agree do it for civilians too!!
  • myboysmomx2
    Options
    I've officially posted the "Rock that Dress Challenge" for military wives and more. Here's the link: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/332854-rock-that-dress-challenge

Message me if you'd like to join in!
  • ashale4
    Options
    Yes I can Friend me
  • chichilovesizzy
    Options
    absolutely!! I feel the same way too!