How many eggs per day do you eat?

Options
124»

Replies

• babyluthi
    babyluthi Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    whmscll wrote: »
    I’ve been eating 1-3 eggs most days for several months. Just found out my “bad” cholesterol is high. I know there’s LOTS of conflicting info on whether eating foods high in cholesterol raises your blood cholesterol, but the American Heart Assn recommends 4-6 eggs per week, so I'm going to cut back. I’m in maintenance so being overweight is not a contributing factor to my high LDL.

oatmeal lowers bad cholesterol. Eggs do not push it up.

• ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options
    I go through *maybe* 6 eggs a week but it's 3 whole eggs and 3 egg whites because I make myself omelets every week(gotta stuff those veggies in!)so it's 1 egg/1egg white on the days I do eat them.
  • scarlett_k
    scarlett_k Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    On average, zero because most days I don't eat eggs unless they're within a cake or biscuit or something. But I'll happily eat 3 at a time for breakfast when I feel like eating them.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,912 Member
    Options
    3 or 4 hard boiled eggs a day. I do them in the Instant Pot. 4 minutes pressure cook and let them sit for 25 minutes and they are nicely done. I make a dozen at a time. Nice and easy and I rarely buy lunch of breakfast at work any more. Got a full panel of blood work coming up in December so I will see if I can keep this up.

For those of you without an Instant Pot, since I switched to the "hot start" method as described here https://www.seriouseats.com/2014/05/the-secrets-to-peeling-hard-boiled-eggs.html my stove top hard boiled eggs come out perfect every time now.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,912 Member
    Options
    Got this email yesterday - 8 Mediterranean Diet friendly egg recipes http://dish.allrecipes.com/best-mediterranean-diet-breakfast-recipes/
  • icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    3 or 4 hard boiled eggs a day. I do them in the Instant Pot. 4 minutes pressure cook and let them sit for 25 minutes and they are nicely done. I make a dozen at a time. Nice and easy and I rarely buy lunch of breakfast at work any more. Got a full panel of blood work coming up in December so I will see if I can keep this up.

For those of you without an Instant Pot, since I switched to the "hot start" method as described here https://www.seriouseats.com/2014/05/the-secrets-to-peeling-hard-boiled-eggs.html my stove top hard boiled eggs come out perfect every time now.

Hmm, i have been using a very simple and energy consuming way of cooking hard/soft boiling eggs. I like my yolk soft in the middle, but not running. So i put eggs in the pot of tap cold water, bring to a boil. Boil for 60 seconds if they are large/ medium and 50 seconds for small size. Take off the burner, set timer for 10 minutes. Let sit. Shock in cold/ ice cold water after 10 minutes to assure perfect peeling. If eating right away, just few seconds is enough and they will remain hot. If making ahead for later, leave in ice bath longer to cool. Perfect every time.
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    A dozen last me about a week. Often I will make an omelette with 2 eggs (just one yolk though).
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    I have one egg every day, but I also have low CVD risk generally. My husband, who has a somewhat elevated CVD risk sticks to egg whites almost exclusively.

Eggs were the topic of renewed concern again earlier this year after a study by Zhong et al was released in March.

"For each additional half of an egg consumed daily, the risk of CVD and all-cause mortality was higher by 6% and 8%, respectively. When the authors looked more closely, dietary cholesterol intake was more strongly associated with risk of stroke than heart disease, and it was associated with both CVD and non-CVD deaths.

For every additional 300 mg of dietary cholesterol eaten per day, the risk of CVD and all-cause mortality was higher by 17% and 18%, respectively. These associations became nonsignificant after adjustment for consumption of eggs and red meat. In the U.S. population, eggs and meats contribute 25% and 42% of total dietary cholesterol, respectively."

"These new findings may rekindle the debate about the role of dietary cholesterol and egg consumption in cardiovascular disease, but would not change general healthy eating guidelines that emphasize increasing consumption of fruits, vegetables, whole grains, nuts, and legumes and lowering consumption of red and processed meats and sugar,” said Dr. Frank Hu, Chair of the Department of Nutrition at the Harvard Chan School of Public Health, who was not involved in the study. “For those who are generally healthy, low to moderate intake of eggs can be included as part of a healthy eating pattern, but they are not essential."

https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/2019/03/18/eggs-and-cholesterol-back-in-the-spotlight-in-new-jama-study/

• firefoxxie
    firefoxxie Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    my mood changes with eggs. Some weeks I will eat 1-2 a day and then go for a month without any.

Are we the same person?
    When I'm in an egg mood, I'll also have about 1-2 a day. Scrambled with a variety of veggies, in sandwiches, on the side with rice. Yum!

But right now I'm in the "not having any" phase.