Lapsed, enjoyed life, now back at it and building accountability

Hello

So 2 years ago I had a revelation and decided to lose the baby weight and greatly focused on it. I did it and within half a year I had lost 30lbs which, since I’m only 5ft 1, represented quite a chunk. That was too much though and I was hangry all the time so I went back up a bit to feel happy and to be nice company. Worked for about a year then I started to indulge again. Not much but enough for the grams to slowly add up.

Two years on and even though I haven’t put it all back year the red alarms are blaring in my head and I’m starting to struggle with my body image again so time to get back at it.

I need friends to keep going though so here is a bit about me, befriend if you feel some kindred being !

I’m 33, 5ft 1, living in Ireland.
I’m a mum, a cyclist and a walker.
I do Zwift and I compete outside too, including TTs.

Ask anything. Hopefully some of us will journey together. 👊🏻

Replies

• 84creative
    84creative Posts: 128 Member
    My red flag was my kids getting heavier and my body getting smaller. Now I’m training to get stronger and fitter to keep up with them.

Good luck with your journey :-)
  • SherryRueter
    SherryRueter Posts: 2,830 Member
    I’m 5’1” and up 4#. I wanna get that off now! I’ve been sorta trying/not trying for a year. Can I join you?
  • Mitzigan94
    Mitzigan94 Posts: 393 Member
    I'm at 5ft. Was able to lose 45 lbs out of 145 lbs and kept it for 4 yrs however, when I stopped counting calories and chewing my foods well I gained back the 34 pounds I've lost.
    I believe we got this! Let's do it!

Cw : 134 lbs
    Gw : 120 lbs
    Ugw : 95 lbs
  • Ardael
    Ardael Posts: 245 Member
    I’ve sent you an invite Sherry :)

That is exactly the journey I’ve had Mitzigan94. The munchies get me ! Let’s do this !
  • helen_goldthorpe
    helen_goldthorpe Posts: 340 Member
    edited November 2019
    Hello! I also do TTs and Zwift. I lost about 100lb about 10 years ago. Since then I've put about 25lb back on. I still feel fairly good about myself and it hasn't bothered me, but on zwift I could do with being a bit lighter to help the w/kg!

So the task for this winter is to shift a bit of the excess, but trying to balance that with a decent training load and making sure I have enough fuel. I'm down about 5lb so far so fingers crossed I can shift a bit more.

I'm also new here so still trying to work out how it all works...
  • Ardael
    Zwift has helped me loads, particularly on what I called “ buying dinner” since an hour on it equalled for me the calories of a medium meal. It also boosted my confidence like crazy.

And I’m the same Helen, most people start their journey for the Beach Body or the Bikini Silhouette, but I workout during the winter time best too.
  • richstyles
    richstyles Posts: 18 Member
    Welcome back and in a similar boat (no baby lol) but finally getting back into things. This time is really going well because I track ALL calories going in and out, weigh myself daily, and only aim for a slight deficit. I am not going to starve myself nor am I going to binge. One thing I learned this go around is how small the margins are (200 calories above or below your daily requirements can make or break a diet). The closer I stick to my daily requirement the less I feel like I'm torturing myself. I also don't reward exercise with food (this was also key for me). Once I locked in the feedback loop (seeing my calorie tracking match the weight scale) it got much easier. I hope you find something that works for you and becomes effortless for your lifestyle. Don't let the scale or your body define who you are inside. You should be proud of yourself regardless, enjoy the journey!
  • SherryRueter
    Okay so, I’m gonna try to
    Check in daily. Today - 6 mini m and m packets got me. No bueno.
    Otherwise really good control. Gonna keep trying one bad day this week....still 6 days I can be 1000% on plan.
  • SherryRueter
    My diary for today is not accurate. It’s what I planned, and I didn’t stu l to my plan. Tomorrow I’ll do it.
  • Annagrace75
    Annagrace75 Posts: 29 Member
    I’m going to do this too! When I eat too little, I end up overeating later on. It’s a cycle, and if I eat what my body needs then I don’t overeat.
  • SherryRueter
    Accountability : 60min upper body strength

32867- that is ME Too!!! Once I start eating I find it hard to stop.

Logging calories today.
    Not using the bathroom scale until Friday
  • Viking_Dad
    Viking_Dad Posts: 185 Member
    I remember you! 😀
  • fitnessguy266
    fitnessguy266 Posts: 150 Member
    Adapting the Intermittent Fasting has worked wonders in helping me find balance between health, accountability, and the occassional "fun" days a few times a week....trial and error, but find a healthy balance! Good luck!
  • MichelleMcKeeRN
    MichelleMcKeeRN Posts: 450 Member
    I am 5’1, 150lbs and have a goal weight of 130-135lbs. I would love to get down to 140lbs by the New Year! It is only 8 weeks away! Feel free to friend me!
  • Ardael
    edited November 2019
    richstyles wrote: »
    I also don't reward exercise with food

I get what you mean. My way is to eat to my requirement during the day then I exercise to earn the calories needed for dinner then I have dinner.
    It can ( and has) backfired when I couldn’t get a workout done or not to the standard I required but my solution was to leave a bit of margin.

@fitnessguy266 I’m trying the intermittent fasting as we speak. I’m on a circadian fast at the moment ( 13 -11 ) as a gentle introduction with the goal of reaching a 16 - 8 soon.

Thanks Michelle ! Goal is 135 for me :)
  • helen_goldthorpe
    helen_goldthorpe Posts: 340 Member
    I struggle with evening exercise a bit. On winter Mondays I go to a turbo class run by my cycling club, my OH cooks while I'm out. I have no idea what the session will be or what he will cook so just have to hope they match up! I'm sure as I get used to it I'll be able to estimate the calories out bit a bit better but for now my numbers can be a bit all over the place.
  • Ardael
    I found that as long as I keep the portion of carbs within the recommended size ( which is so small I know 😱) I usually fall within reason of my goal. My numbers are a bit chaotic at the moment too since I’m trying to get back at it so I’m basing this from my previous experience.

My biggest problem is eating too much. When I cook I used to to 50-50 with my husband then realised that as a small woman I shouldn’t eat that much and went 60-40 to eventually 2/3-1/3.