52 and 5k

Decided on a whim to do a 5k. Have been working out since Jun, got serious in Sept. Down by 12 lbs, trying to be shy of 200 by race day. Only 20 days to go. Not a lot of support at home. I'm a little freaked out. :# But this too shall pass as long as my knees and ankles hold up. :)

Replies

• Congratulations on the weight loss and best of luck to you in your upcoming 5k.
  • bigblues11
    bigblues11 Posts: 203 Member
    Have fun! The running community in my area is super cool and supportive! Congrats on the weight loss!
  • reggiedrum
    reggiedrum Posts: 21 Member
    MFP has been the key to the weight loss. I now know when I'm reaching my calorie max for the day.
  • Versicolour
    Versicolour Posts: 7,164 Member
    Find a local parkrun! It is 5km, free, timed and every Saturday morning. I promise you, it will help get you confident for your upcoming race and will help lose those last few. The community is great and the support is fantastic. Yes, I volunteer at my local parkrun
    www.parkrun.com
  • nikkibrianne64
    nikkibrianne64 Posts: 89 Member
    Hi! Feel free to add me! I'm trying but giving odd error message. I just ran my first 5k this year, so fun running in the cold ran that I signed up for nexts year's Chicago marathon!
  • TheMrWobbly
    TheMrWobbly Posts: 2,522 Member
    You can do it. I am in a C25k group here on MFP, started in late June when I weighed 260 lbs at 48 years old, ran my first parkrun 5k on 5th October at 230 lbs. There are others in the group that have completed 5k at 260lbs+. It is tough for the first run, don't worry about time, listen to your body and walk parts if you need to.

Once you get past the mental block of not knowing if you can jog 5k then you will be fine. This Saturday was my 10th 5k, I have completed 10k and now I am working on a training plan for the half marathon with a view to a marathon in Spring 2021 when I am 50.

Believe you can and you will :)
  • reggiedrum
    That's great TheMrWobbly. I'm also doing C25K. I've walk/ran the entire course in 56 min. Now working on dropping time a little more. Ive trained in cold and rain so I'm ready for whatever comes. Uptempo playlist to set my cadence: Johnny Cash, Eminem, ZZ Top, Aerosmith, DMX, ........

Thanks to all of u for the supportive comment.

Ya'll have a great day !!!
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    I'm not all that heavy, but I was never a runner. I did C25K in 2016 and I just want to encourage taking as much time as you need to get through the workouts. You are encouraged to repeat and even go back to an easier workout if you need to. It pays to let your body get used to running slowly!

PS I did a HM (13.1m) this fall! Whod-a-thunk-it?
  • TheMrWobbly
    TheMrWobbly Posts: 2,522 Member
    That is a darn fine playlist @reggiedrum, room for a bit of G&R or Linkin Park in there?
  • tirowow12385
    tirowow12385 Posts: 698 Member
    You can do it. I am in a C25k group here on MFP, started in late June when I weighed 260 lbs at 48 years old, ran my first parkrun 5k on 5th October at 230 lbs. There are others in the group that have completed 5k at 260lbs+. It is tough for the first run, don't worry about time, listen to your body and walk parts if you need to.

Once you get past the mental block of not knowing if you can jog 5k then you will be fine. This Saturday was my 10th 5k, I have completed 10k and now I am working on a training plan for the half marathon with a view to a marathon in Spring 2021 when I am 50.

Believe you can and you will :)

Wow, goals!
  • steeliebob
    steeliebob Posts: 55 Member
    I too am proof it can be done to some degree!!! C25k back in 2015. No way I think I could have done a mile straight to start. Did a handful of 5ks, graduated to 10s, and a couple of 12s, last minute decided a HM at end of September and survived :) Just don't quit ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    Have you tried the c25k? It's not for me but we're all different

Remember you don't have to run the whole way. You can walk just keep putting one foot in front of the other you'll do great
  • reggiedrum
    I'm on it. Was out in 36 degree weather busting it this morning. I have been training on the race course that will be use. I can finish the whole thing sn have been pushing through the pain. For the last 16 days will be working on endurance. Everybody have a good weekend. I will be iceing my ankle this evening ๐Ÿ˜
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    edited November 2019
    I'm on it. Was out in 36 degree weather busting it this morning. I have been training on the race course that will be use. I can finish the whole thing sn have been pushing through the pain. For the last 16 days will be working on endurance. Everybody have a good weekend. I will be iceing my ankle this evening ๐Ÿ˜

Just be careful with working through ouches. I'm the queen of doing that and then ending up at physio because I ignore something too long. Listen to your body. But good job on the training

Oh also make sure you have good shoes. I'd you're running you'll go through shoes quicker than you think you should. My sign is my planter fasciitis starts flaring up and it's time for new shoes

Also I love running in cooler weather. I'm always way faster. Gotta outrun the cold hahah