Halloween candy

Options
This time of year is scary. Seems like I have extra calories lurking around every corner. Any strategies for making it through the holidays without re-gaining.

Replies

• ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    Maintain your routine as much as possible, and one strategy deployed by many is to reserve like... 100 or so calories on "normal" days to use up at special gatherings and occasions. If you have foods that are really hard to resist, get them out of your house ASAP - drop them in the office break room or just throw them out. Decide before you start eating what you want to prioritize because it's your favorite, and make sure you work that reward into your calories accordingly. It gets easier with practice and a little bit of planning ahead.

I usually only find myself messing up if I fail to plan and wait until I'm SO HUNGRY (or shaky or whatever) that I'll eat whatever's closest. My child complains strenuously when I try to bite her. ;-)
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    We live in a rural area that doesn’t have trick or treating (there’s a trunk or treat on Main St. instead) so there’s no Halloween candy in my house. For Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year’s, I don’t indulge in all the goodies except for the day of the holiday itself. I work from home now so it’s a lot easier. When I worked in an office, I found that to be a great place to donate treat that ended up in my house but that I didn’t want sitting around tempting me.
  • MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 10,972 Member
    Options
    I implemented the Halloween Fairy this year, and I have to say it worked GREAT.

I usually don’t use monetary rewards, but last year I ate a few of the snack candies per day for quite awhile. Not this year; I must learn from prior challenges.

So, I told myself I could buy a sweater (still building my “thin” wardrobe if I ate NO Halloween Candy. I didn’t :) but I got so overwhelmed with figuring out which sweater & not knowing what size...that it was not a reward lol

SO I switched it to a Michael’s run to get two supplies I’d like to have: toned paper & Paynes Grey Acrylic Ink! THOSE feel like a fun reward & I’ve got my reward!!

Hubby hid the candy. Again we have no trick or treaters. Can’t decide whether to toss or take to Senior Center. Not really sure it’s good for *anyone* to eat, so not sure what to do...
  • moonangel12
    moonangel12 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    We haven’t done traditional Halloween the last two years with the kids and it has been great! Last year I was recovering from a hysterectomy so we somehow ended up going out to eat, then a $10/10 minute deal at Walmart. Each kiddo got $10, and 10 minutes to spend it (with adult supervision, not running all over the store or anything.) A new tradition was born!

That being said, I have a bag of mini snickers in the freezer - 80 calories each, for when I have plenty of calories left for whatever reason. Being frozen I can’t scarf them down, and the bottom of the freezer is out of sight, out of mind for me.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Options
    DH and i are both good at resisting overindulgence in candy. We'll eat a couple of mini-chocolate bars when we're hungry or craving chocolate, but not more. We had really bad weather this year so only 4 kids showed up (driven by their parents door to door) and there's a lot left over. It will sit up above the refrigerator until it's gone. From past experience, it will likely last until June or so.

We usually do Christmas and Thanksgiving with relatives, so there's never much in the way of leftovers. It means we have one big blowout each month where we eat turkey and pie until we're stuffed, but then it's done. I don't buy or make any Christmas cookies so unless a neighbor gives us some, we don't have a lot of temptations in the house.
  • Hollis100
    Hollis100 Posts: 1,408 Member
    Options
    Hubby hid the candy. Again we have no trick or treaters. Can’t decide whether to toss or take to Senior Center. Not really sure it’s good for *anyone* to eat, so not sure what to do...

Please, humbly and respectfully, don't dump candy you don't want to eat on seniors and other vulnerable people who may have diabetes, high cholesterol, and other serious health problems.

I worked for years and years for an organization that helped the poor. People would bring mountains of Halloween and Easter candy into my office to "donate" because they didn't want to eat themselves sick at home. When they left, I would throw it away. I know many people would say that's wasting food, but come on. Human beings are not garbage disposals, any of us.

• Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,136 Member
    Options
    We have no candies or chocolate in the house, and we haven't celebrated Halloween in years.

The kids have their own families and they don't live near by, and some of the grandchildren are too old for trick or treats, anyway. My husband and I reside in a gated community so we get no trick or treating kiddos. All is good, we had our share of Halloween thru the years, and we enjoy the peace and quite now.
  • mpapa1856
    mpapa1856 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Lots of good ideas. Never thought of banking 100 calories per day. Might need to throw some of the candy out too. We had snow so not many kids came this year, Can’t feed chocolate to the dog. Going for long walk with dog instead.
  • MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 10,972 Member
    Options
    Hollis100 wrote: »

Please, humbly and respectfully, don't dump candy you don't want to eat on seniors and other vulnerable people who may have diabetes, high cholesterol, and other serious health problems.

I worked for years and years for an organization that helped the poor. People would bring mountains of Halloween and Easter candy into my office to "donate" because they didn't want to eat themselves sick at home. When they left, I would throw it away. I know many people would say that's wasting food, but come on. Human beings are not garbage disposals, any of us.

@Hollis100
    No offense taken. I asked!

The senior group is one I belong to; I know many are on tight budgets, healthy, trim, active... The senior center only allows individually wrapped items to be brought in.

Interesting Re: your work with the organization working with the poor. This is the opposite of what I had been told. That they get lots of canned soups, veggies but rarely a “treat.”

I suppose I will call the Senior Center & see what they would prefer. I might just trash it. They are well known candies, but still..
  • mpapa1856
    mpapa1856 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    True, Halloween candy is likely ok in moderation and litttle fun sized ones are nice for all ages if we can learn to stop after one or two.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,136 Member
    Options
    Hollis100 wrote: »

I would like to know why three people clicked the "disagree" bottom when the comment posted by @Hollis100 was very respectful and right on.
  • BMcC9
    BMcC9 Posts: 4,364 Member
    Options
    Gisel2015 wrote: »
    I would like to know why three people clicked the "disagree" bottom when the comment posted by @Hollis100 was very respectful and right on.

No way of knowing if this is the case or not … but apparently people using the app (especially if a "small-screen device") CAN accidentally and unknowingly hit a "Disagree" when only scrolling. This happened to a comment I made once on a different thread. I was puzzled as there was not even anything potentially controversial about the post.
  • awnurmarc
    awnurmarc Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    The only change so far is I'm eating less healthy carbs within my calorie budget. The candy I like, M&MS, Snickers, etc are easily lovable and the snack sizes are easy to fit in.

Now a few weeks ago I was at an event that lasted a couple of hours of sitting with a "bottomless" bowl of Peanut M&MS. I gained 1.5-2 lbs in one night.
  • bigblues11
    bigblues11 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    We keep candy in the house but I rarely partake. My weakness isn't sweets, it's salty chips and such. If I want it, I will grab a snack sized treat and am satisfied. It's when I make anything off limits, that I will crave that item.