Buying Vegetarian food on a budget?

Options
Probaly not cheap, but what can I get thats pretty cheap like at Walmart, Save a lot, Aldis etc?

Replies

• JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    it's cheaper just to buy like canned beans an such and make things from pieces rather than like frozen dinners.
  • WalkingGirl1985
    WalkingGirl1985 Posts: 2,047 Member
    Options
    I don't grow my own food or anything though..
  • catecn
    catecn Posts: 84
    Options
    well, the best and cheapest way to do it is to make it yourself. but, im vegan and I know that isnt always an option. do you have a trafer joes around you? they have tons of vegetarian and allergy sensitive foods, and you can request a vegetarian shopping list that tells you exactly what in the stope is vegetarian and where to locate it (i use it all the time). also, for fruts and vegis try a farmers marker, its summer! and depending on where you live and the population, a lot of farmers markets have stands with cheeses, nuts, breads and other things.
  • beethedreamer
    beethedreamer Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    eating vegetarian is usually cheaper than an omnivore's diet. You don't have to buy meat, which can get expensive fairly quickly. Mostly, you just need to worry about what you're going to do for protein. Beans and lentils are good protein sources, and you can buy them in a bag for about a dollar and make A LOT of meals from that bag, especially if you're only cooking for one or two people. Diary and eggs are also good protein sources and can be fairly inexpensive depending on what you're getting. make sure you're eating a lot of fruits and veggies which contain a lot of vitamins and minerals you need.

you don't need to buy fake meat to be vegetarian, especially because it costs more. just remember to do your research and have a plan of what you're going to make BEFORE you go to the store. it will make things a lot easier in the long run. I promise.
  • missolesky
    missolesky Posts: 40
    Options
    hommus! Its cheap to buy and even cheaper to make and its delicious and goes with so many different things
  • KeshiaV
    KeshiaV Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I buy all of my food at Walmart and I'm on a definite budget. It's totally feasible!

My staples include:
    veggies: spinach, tomatoes, broccoli, potatoes, carrots (great snack food), bell peppers
    fruits: whatever is on sale! (usually apples are pretty cheap and melons can be priced well in the summer)
    Carbs: whole grain pastas (you can get an entire box for like $2), pita bread, tortillas
    Dairy: greek yogurt (it's about $1 per serving, but you can definitely find coupons), fat free cheeses (great value has a few options), eggs, When I feel like splurging, I'll buy laughing cow cheese wedges (they aren't that expensive and taste delicious with triscuts as a snack) and skinny cow ice cream bars.

*Don't forget about beans, lentils, and hummus. These can also be affordable.

It's definitely doable to be vegetarian on a budget, you just have to be a bit more purposeful about planning your meals in advance. I usually spend about $30 per week for myself, which breaks down to less than 4.50 per day.

I have found it so helpful to peek at my MFP friends' food journals for ideas. Feel free to add me as a friend and you're more than welcome to look at my diary. As a note, I'm pescatarian (I eat fish, but nothing that walks on land) so you'll see fish and seafood in addition to vegetarian dishes :)
  • paulasuscas01
    paulasuscas01 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    You can never go wrong with frozen foods. The frozen vegetables and fruits are fairly inexpensive and are so versatile in cooking.
  • sarahliftsUP
    sarahliftsUP Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Rice, canned chick peas, black beans, lentils. Chili is super easy and cheap to make, plus you can freeze it after having it for supper and then use it for lunches. Fruit and vegetables are cheaper this time of year so I buy lots of fresh ones: strawberries, blueberries, watermelon, apples, zucchini, green peppers, romaine lettuce, cucumber, tomatoes etc.

With chick peas you can make a spaghetti sauce out of as your protein and add in your usual vegetables you like. I use onion, green pepper, and zucchini to mine. Then get spaghetti squash rather than pasta. Cheap, healthy, and filling!

For black beans you can make your own veggie burgers and freeze the leftovers to use as you want. There are all kinds of recipes listed online. Black beans also make good for your own burritos or fajitas!
  • Kalrez
    Kalrez Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    I'm a walmart shopping vegetarian. There should be a section in the freezer for meat substitutes - Boca burgers, Morningstar Farm products, etc. There are some "hot dogs" in the produce section. Kroger has a large vegetarian/organic section, so take a look there if you've got one near you.

Some things I like to keep on hand:
    - Quinoa. It's a grain but is a full protein. Cooks like rice but has a slightly nutty flavor. It's in the rice isle in a teal-ish box. It's like $5 for a box, but if you're cooking for yourself, it'll last you a few or two. I cook mine with a little fake Chicken bullion (found at Kroger) to give it a little more flavor.
    - Canned/Frozen/Fresh veggies and lots of them. Often times, dinner consists of just 4 different veggies.

My shopping bills didn't really change much after I switched to being vegetarian. What we would have spent on meat is now spent on extra veggies, grains, and some meat substitutes. We still have tacos, but we use Morningstar crumbles instead of hamburger. When I really want pigs-in-a-blanket, I use Yves veggie dogs.

It's doable and not really any more expensive than what you already spend buying meat.
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    Tofu is cheap and 1 brick can do several meals depending on what you make (especially if you do chili or shepards pie then you can freeze the rest), beans and lentils are a good choice specially if you buy them in bulk and again make big recipies and freeze the leftovers for quick meals, rice and quinoa are inexpensive (if you make a big batch of quinoa you can store it in the fridge for days and use it for breakfast with some sweetner and/or fruit and then also for lunches and dinners with stirfry or whatever and it's a great source of protein). I like buying the bigger packs of convenience foods like the yves like ground and hotdogs.

I buy most of my vegetarian foods at walmart or superstore, there are only a few items I need to buy from a specialty organic shop.
  • shimmergal
    shimmergal Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Try asian markets (esp Indian grocery stores). Vegetables like green beans, cucumbers, tomatoes, carrots, onions, greens are darn cheap. I can buy a ton of vegetables under $10/-. You can buy frozen vegetables and canned goods like garbanzo beans, kidney beans for lot less. Another fav grocery store of mine is Trader Joe. Their frozen vegetables are darn cheap - spinach, corn,etc - $1.29 for a bag, Organic Tofu for $1.29/-. Also, I buy their canned goods (black beans, etc) for under a buck.

Hope this helps.
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Check out my diary. I am vegetarian. I spend anywhere from $25 - $60 a week on groceries and household items, including cat food/litter and cleaning supplies.

I started at Walgreens and bought a cheapie crock pot for $10. I also splurged and purchased a food processor for under $100.(not from Walmart)

I buy frozen foods from Sav - a -lot. I also occasionally buy dried beans from them. It's cheaper than canned and if you make them yourself, you control the sodium.

Do you have a farmer's market or produce market nearby? I go to them weekly more than anything else. They sell eggs 3 doz for $3, they also have bags of quinoa, oats, cous cous and brown rice for $1.. for $20 I can easily get 2 big bags of produce.

I sometimes make my own veggie burgers with a mix of beans, veg, wild rice or oats. The morningstar or boca products are good but high in sodium. I only buy them when they are on sale and I have a coupon.

I buy almonds in bulk and separate them into single serving (12-20) snack ziplocks

I go to Whole Food for the following:
    Unsweetened almond milk, Ezekiel bread, 365 all natural smooth almond butter, brown rice pasta, lightlife smoked tempeh, daiya dairy free cheese maple Syrup, Fage 0% greek yogurt and organic mix salad greens. The salad greens come in a package 2 ½ time the size the either the market or the produce market sell and is only $1 more. WF also gives you a %5 discount if you buy a case of anything.

On Sunday's (sometimes Monday) I prep for the week. I make a pot of beans, boil at least a half dozen eggs and make a pot of whatever grain (usually brown rice). I also cut up and fruit or veg that needs a bit of prep to make it easier to grab and go during the week. I also review circulars and coupons for the week. Takes a total of 2-3 hours to do both but it means I have food prepped and ready for the week and meals never take more than 15 min to fix.
  • HappyHealthyHolly
    HappyHealthyHolly Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I'm vegan, which involves many similar foods.

I shop at Walmart a bit, but I've noticed that for me, they're really only good for fruits & veggies. I've also noticed they usually have the cheapest soy/almond/rice milk.

I strongly recommend Kroger, if you have one. They have many vegan/vegetarian style items. Probably more vegan, I'm thinking cheeses, meats, tofu, etc.

I try to buy everything I can as cheap as I can from Walmart, Kroger & such, & then I choose a few things to spend a little more on. Similar to buying cheap fruits & veggies & spending more on meat.

Hmm...now that I think of it, my suggestions sound like they're more for a vegan & a vegetarian, haha! So, if you're eating normal dairy & such, I'd think that you should just explore a bit to see who has the cheapest fruits, veggies, beans, etc. I do like Walmart for that purpose.

I'm not sure I was much help, & now I'm a little confused in what I wrote & was thinking, but maybe this will help. LOL
  • HappyHealthyHolly
    HappyHealthyHolly Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Oh & now that I see where you live, I also strongly recommend Meijer. :) I get a lot of sales there, but I also find a lot of vegan/vegetarian items at Kroger.
  • poofikins1990
    Options
    I'm vegetarian and you can check out my diary if you want, although I am still trying to improve how I eat, but we really don't spend a lot on groceries. I eat quite a bit of dairy so I have no trouble meeting my protein goals. I didn't think I could become a vegetarian mostly because I thought it was going to be expensive but I saw my best friend get by on pretty small budget and decided to give it a go and it's working out so far. Now I'm scared that being a vegan is too expensive lol
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Have a look at Indian recipes - there are soooo many yummy vegetarian meals and if you cook them yourself you can limit the amount of oil and coconut milk which can make them quite high cal.
    Buying any kind of processed food (like veggie burgers etc) is always going to be more expensive than cooking them yourself. I'd suggest look up some recipes for the kind of food you like, cook a big batch and freeze stuff ready to use when you need it.
    This will save you heaps!
  • BeverageTreats
    BeverageTreats Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I'm simmering a $1.99 bag of lentils right now. I'll put it in the fridge tossed in a simple homemade vinaigrette. Served along side some nuked frozen veggies, that can be lunch/dinner for the better part of a week. If I get tired of eating it in that form, I can always transform it into "burgers" or "meatballs" and bake, grill or prepare in a tomato sauce or the like.

It doesn't take expensive analog meats all the time. Vegetarian can be done on the cheap.
  • kijaniK
    kijaniK Posts: 5
    Options
    I'm glad I found this thread. :D Everyone's suggestions for the OP are pretty awesome, and I'm going to see what I can find when I go to the grocery.