Health and how it ties in with your job

Options
Hip_to_be_square
Hip_to_be_square Posts: 232 Member
edited November 2019 in Chit-Chat
Sitting here thinking about general health + fitness, and trying to find a balance between it and work life. I believe it's crucial to find a balance between the two for your overall well-being.

As I sit here thinking about that, I recall hearing about, or seeing documentaries about people working jobs that will literally kill them in the long run. Such as mining the earth for dangerous chemicals that will give them cancer, coal mining, etc.

Why would people go into work fields like that, knowing full well the consequences? I myself work a job that demands up to 70 hours a week from me. Nothing as dangerous as chemical or coal mining, but is a sedentary job where I sit all day, everyday. It's a struggle trying to take breaks throughout the day for meal prep + physical training, especially if the employer is in a hurry to increase productivity so they can make more money. But I'm not going to compromise my health for somebody else's financial well-being. There's got to be a balance.

Replies

• nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    edited November 2019
    Options
    I don’t know why others would choose traditionally dangerous jobs like mining and things. I wouldn’t. Maybe someone will chime in and shed light on this.

I don’t have kids. I work a job that is bad for my health in many ways: Emergency Medicine. This job has long hours, patients trying to fight me, noisy, constant state of stress, exposed to blood and contagious disease a lot, flip flop hours between days and nights, messing up my sleep clock, working some weekends and holidays, no designated lunch break, and more.

I could work an *easy* clinic job with regular hours but to me that is less fulfilling. I like keeping my clinical skills. I can suture, reduce a fracture, recognize and treat heart attacks, strokes, and more. I get to work 3-4 days a week instead of 5. I get more days off to travel. The pay is good.

I really focus on wellness outside of work to compensate for this. I plan meals and bring them. Many of my colleagues end up eating poorly or not at all due to the long busy shifts with no break. I always have my healthy food handy. I minimize stress outside work.

Imagine, if someone didn’t work these jobs, who would provide the service they do? When others are home with their family on Xmas or in bed at 3am, I’m working. Some of my colleagues use the non traditional hours to their advantage because it lets them have one parent home with their small children and avoid putting them in daycare.

I don’t think providing for one’s family is a *lame excuse*. Not everyone has the foresight to plan their lives perfectly. It is admirable that one is willing to risk their own health for their family. I don’t think it is wise, necessarily, but I respect it.
  • isalsayourface123
    isalsayourface123 Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    Every job will have its pros and cons. Finding balance helps me the moster.
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options
    nooshi713 wrote: »
    I don’t know why others would choose traditionally dangerous jobs like mining and things. I wouldn’t. Maybe someone will chime in and shed light on this.

My SO works in mining and it pays extremely well. Like really ridiculous money. That's the carrot.

It's not nearly as dangerous as it used to be. There are so many safety features mandated by law because of the hazards. The only death that I can think of since he's been there was someone who went into a no-entry zone. With technology now, a lot of the heavy equipment is operated remotely with no one on board.

A good friend of mine works in an industrial manufacturing plant, not nearly the same money, and faces more health hazards from the chemicals and fumes and inadequate ventilation.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    ythannah wrote: »
    nooshi713 wrote: »

There are so many safety features mandated by law because of the hazards. The only death that I can think of since he's been there was someone who went into a no-entry zone. .

I once went into a no-entry zone.

..... and luckily lived to tell about it too.