Fitbit Small Number of calories burned

Options
I take my dog for walks during the day and found that Fitbit will not always calculate a 'Calories Burned Walk'. My guess is that the heart rate has to be high enough and long enough for it to register a calorie burned walk.

My question is if anyone else has experience with using these small amounts as total calories burned for the day, and do you find it is accurate? I am VERY confident about long walks and the consistency of how many calories it says I burned.

It seems like in the last week as I have stepped up (no pun intended) the number of times I walk my pup and make the walk long enough to register calories burned, it is not showing up at the scale. I eat back calories that are more burned then required, and I am thinking maybe I am eating back calories that maybe were not really considered burned or not.

If this makes sense......

Replies

• peggy_polenta
    peggy_polenta Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    fit bit will only recognize active minutes or excercise if you are doing it for a min of 10 mins (you can set the min) if you are walking the dog...you really arent walking....since you are likely starting...stopping and waiting for smelling stuff, peeing...looking around. i don't know many dogs that walk for 10 mins without stopping for something.
  • donjtomasco
    donjtomasco Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    When the dog stops I keep walking with a 26 foot retractable leash, turn around and walk back past him, rinse and repeat till he is ready to walk some more. You are correct, my dog stops many times in a 30 minute walk but I only stop once if he hits a duece. Thanks for the answer though it was not what I asked.
  • justMbailey
    justMbailey Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Just adjust as you go. If eating back the calories doesn’t stall your weight loss it’s going well. If you start to stall out stop eating them. It’s really the only full proof way to find out the accuracy:)