14:10 Intermittent Fasting curious for inputs

Options
Hello everyone , just curious to know if any of u does Intermittent fasting here , any pros or cons ?

Replies

• lillola96
    lillola96 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Yes, and it's a great way to get more out of your daily calories. I first tried skipping dinner however it was very difficult with a partner / family and socially as well as dinner us such a social meal. I now skip breakfast and have lunch at 11am. Have been doing this for a couple of years now. At first I felt very hungry as I used to have a big bowl of oats, peanut butter + banana for brekky but only took about a week to adjust. I'll occasionally have a small breakfast if I feel like it and because my body is so adjusted to morning fasting it doesn't affect me being able to fast again the next day. Now dieting to lose weight and finding it much easier to stick to my daily calorie limit having only 2 main meals a day. I love it, works great for me! Give it a go!
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options
    I personally know 2 people who don't eat anything after 5 p.m. plus they eat their biggest meal in the beginning of the day and scale down as the day goes on, eating a simple snack before 5. It has worked for them.
    I was thinking of doing something similar because after 6 p.m. is my biggest weak time.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,131 Member
    edited November 2019
    Options
    Meal frequency/timing is a very individual thing, it's important to find what suits you to enable you to stick to a calorie deficit/maintenance (or excess if that's your thing).

I don't have set timings but do tend to now have a morning snack, normal sized lunch & larger dinner because I'm not very hungry first thing in the morning. That said there are people who do very well with lots of smaller meals over the day and there are people who find one very large meal a day works for them.

Be wary of some of the miraculous claims made about IF, it's not a magic pill and is definitely not for everyone.

Best thing you can do IMO is try it for 4-6 weeks, see how you do on it and adjust based to your own experiences.
  • Machafin
    Machafin Posts: 2,988 Member
    Options
    As others have said, you need to find what works best for you. Some people can't do IF because they overeat during their window, others have no trouble with it whatsoever. I have tried 20:4, 16:8, and currently do 14:10 as your title states but it works naturally with my urges to eat. I still count calories and track macros as my main way to lose weight but 14:10 works well for me where I am not craving food outside of my window.
  • fitnessguy266
    fitnessguy266 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Great advice by all posters here, I am currently doing OMAD (One Meal A Day) but typically do a 18:6 otherwise. IF works well in it's ability to help you contain and restrict caloric intake on daily basis, ultimately helping to shave weight/fat, or maintain on a weekly basis....great for insulin sensitivity and a plethora of other health benefits as well.
  • Shortgirlrunning
    Shortgirlrunning Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    This is just my husband’s natural way of eating. He usually doesn’t have his first meal until around 1 pm and eats late. He’s never gained weight so clearly it works for him!

I’ve tried it off and on over the years and it isn’t a great method for me. I like to have my meals spread out over the while day. No skipping breakfast for me!

Give it a try if it interests you. If it’s not working don’t feel like you have to stick with it.
  • PennyP312
    PennyP312 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I’ve never been a big breakfast eater, so for me, “fasting” helps me stick to my 1500 cals during the day better.

I’m a strict calorie counter and I understand that my deficit is what creates fat loss, not meal timing. Eating only between 11 am and 6pm just helps me adhere, as some posters above have stated.

I’m not super strict about the timing part (no timer etc) and on the weekends I tend to eat (and drink ☺️) during more typical times with my family.

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    mita271 wrote: »
    Hello everyone , just curious to know if any of u does Intermittent fasting here , any pros or cons ?

There are a lot of "magical" claims in regards to IF that are either utter nonsense or lack sufficient evidence to really make those claims. Many of those claims are in the infancy of study.

IF isn't a magical weight loss diet. I did IF for years while I gained weight...I just called it skipping breakfast though. My natural tendency was to have my first meal at lunch around noon and my last meal around 8 PM. I gained weight because I was still over consuming calories.

I more purposely did IF from May through Sept (again skipping breakfast) because we built a pool and were doing a lot more cook outs and whatnot, even during the week so skipping breakfast was an easy way to push my calories to later in the day. I again gained weight over the summer...not a lot, but about 5 Lbs...so I was slightly over consuming calories doing IF.

It can work for weight loss, weight maintenance, or weight gain depending on calorie consumption and energy expenditure. It's not a magical weight loss thing.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    If eating within a particular timeframe works for you, then do it. If you’re a grazer and prefer to just eat all day long, great.

Whatever allows you to feel satiated and eat at a calorie deficit is the way of eating you should adopt.

Good luck! 🍀