Any positive feelings about Daylight Savings Time?

healingnurtrer
healingnurtrer Posts: 217 Member
I've never heard anyone express positive feelings about Daylight Savings Time in the US. Anyone a fan of this?

Replies

• LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,970 Member
    I understand why it was needed back in the day, but I personally don’t see the need for it in this day and age.
  • Vikka_V
    Vikka_V Posts: 9,563 Member
    I'm a horrible morning person, so I like it this time of year, makes me feel like I get to go to bed later and wake up later - come spring, I dread it.
  • flotek72
    flotek72 Posts: 498 Member
    edited November 2019
    I feel there is a huge misunderstanding. Not to be overly picky, but the term is Daylight Saving, there is no s on the end of Saving. Daylight Saving Time is the time from spring until fall, not the other way around. Personally, I'm a fan of it getting darker later and prefer Daylight Saving Time. I would like to see it switched to that and never have to switch our clocks again.

Better yet, I'd like to see a universal time for everywhere on the earth. This would take some getting used to, but in my opinion would make things easier to schedule things with people around the world. I mean, we live in a day and age where we can speak to people around the world in seconds.
  • Terytha
    Terytha Posts: 2,097 Member
    I hate it. Now I go to work in the dark and come home in the dark. It makes me feel like I'm trapped in unending darkness for four months.

But I guess I like the extra hour of sleep that one day.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,493 Member
    flotek72 wrote: »

Better yet, I'd like to see a universal time for everywhere on the earth. This would take some getting used to, but in my opinion would make things easier to schedule things with people around the world. I mean, we live in a day and age where we can speak to people around the world in seconds.

This.

100% This.

I've said this same thing for years.

1PM in London would be 1PM in NYC or LA or anywhere else on the globe.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,493 Member
    I feel there is a huge misunderstanding. Not to be overly picky, but the term is Daylight Saving, there is no s on the end of Saving. Daylight Saving Time is the time from spring until fall, not the other way around. Personally, I'm a fan of it getting darker later and prefer Daylight Saving Time. I would like to see it switched to that and never have to switch our clocks again.

YES and also switch to metric time like 10 minute hour, 10 hour day, 10 day week etc

giphy.gif
  • healingnurtrer
    edited November 2019
    I'd also be happy with it being year-round instead of spring to fall. I lived in Arizona for awhile and enjoyed no Daylight saving(s) time. I'd be fine with all the time or none, just not having to change our schedules twice a year.

Several states are trying to make it year round- Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Nevada, Oregon, Tennessee and Washington already approved legislation for it.
    Personally, I'm a fan of it getting darker later and prefer Daylight Saving Time. I would like to see it switched to that and never have to switch our clocks again.

• flotek72
    Motorsheen wrote: »

This.

100% This.

I've said this same thing for years.

1PM in London would be 1PM in NYC or LA or anywhere else on the globe.

Like I said, it would take some getting used to. Which is probably the main reason it hasn't been done. GMT makes the most sense, I guess.
  • healingnurtrer
    edited November 2019

That would be so useful and interesting. I've never thought of that.
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,913 Member
    I'm not in the US, but we have it here in Australia too and I hate it. I hate getting home at 5pm and it being dark. All I want to do is sleep. I would probably become a statistic if I lived in a place that was truly sun-deprived and cold, like Nordic places or even other northern hemisphere places with snow and stuff.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,481 Member
    edited November 2019
    If all time was changed to UTC/GMT, and offices everywhere opened at 8 am GMT, I would hypothetically be going to work at midnight (west coast North America). I don’t think I would like that - and I’m a night owl.
    (I’m thinking I must have read that no more time zone proposition wrong)

The 1hr time change doesn’t bother me one way or the other.

Cheers, h.
  • flotek72
    If all time was changed to UTC/GMT, and offices everywhere opened at 8 am GMT, I would hypothetically be going to work at midnight (west coast North America). I don’t think I would like that - and I’m a night owl.
    (I’m thinking I must have read that no more time zone proposition wrong)

The 1hr time change doesn’t bother me one way or the other.

Cheers, h.

So, with the universal time zone theory, offices and businesses would open when they want. It would be based on locality. Most likely during light hours. So for instance, I go to work at 9am PST. That is 5pm GMT. If everyone switched to GMT, then I'd be going to work at 5pm for 8 hours. Working in the middle of a day change might be a bit of a hassle for companies to work with (calculating payroll and such), but some retail businesses have night crews so that is somewhat similar.
  • LiftingSpirits
    LiftingSpirits Posts: 2,207 Member
    I dislike the time change very much, but I don't see us ever switching to a universal time, even all across America.
  • your_future_ex_wife
    your_future_ex_wife Posts: 4,278 Member

YES and also switch to metric time like 10 minute hour, 10 hour day, 10 day week etc

You’re on my top five desert island people
  • your_future_ex_wife
    your_future_ex_wife Posts: 4,278 Member

A universal time wouldn’t be useful. The numbers would be meaningless. They wouldn’t tell us who was sleeping, working, eating. Or worse, it would force people into unhealthy biological rhythms.

Also, yes, we are currently in standard time and not daylight savings time
  • laprimaJenny
    laprimaJenny Posts: 1,495 Member
    The light affects my sleep patterns. If it’s too dark too early it’s depressing and makes me want to go to bed earlier and if it’s too light too early then I wake up earlier than expected. Also I don’t mind the extra hour of sleep when it changes in November.
  • This_far
    This_far Posts: 536 Member

The French Revolutionary Calendar. Today's date is 15 Brumaire CCXXVIII by the way. It was a thing to name your children after the revolutionary day of the week they were born during the first republic. Always found that neat.
  • Sunshine_And_Sand
    Sunshine_And_Sand Posts: 1,320 Member
    edited November 2019
    I wish we were just on Dalylight Saving Time all year. Sunset before 5 has me really missing the outside walks and runs through the week.
    I definitely didn’t complain about the extra hour of sleep over the weekend, but the getting dark so early is hard to deal with. It makes me feel bad for you guys who live really far north even more than I already did. With the cold weather and so little daylight as you get in winter, I would be sad all the time 😢. Not trying to say those aren’t nice places though, and I know lots of people would have a hard time with the 90+ heat and high humidity all summer long (and most of what we call “fall” here TBH) that I love so much about where I live.
  • healingnurtrer
    edited November 2019
    I wish we were just on Dalylight Saving Time all year. Sunset before 5 has me really missing the outside walks and runs through the week.
    I definitely didn’t complain about the extra hour of sleep over the weekend, but the getting dark so early is hard to deal with. It makes me feel bad for you guys who live really far north even more than I already did. With the cold weather and so little daylight as you get in winter, I would be sad all the time 😢. Not trying to say those aren’t nice places though, and I know lots of people would have a hard time with the 90+ heat and high humidity all summer long (and most of what we call “fall” here TBH) that I love so much about where I live.

I'd be fine with it staying Daylight Saving Time all year, changing our schedule an hour twice a year seems so pointless. In the past I've worked hard to boycott the concept as much as possible. We just change the kids' bedtimes instead, change our bedtime, meal times, etc. an hour. I know when I want to wake up and sleep in relation to the sunrise and set. The whole thing just messes with my mind though. It's like all of our other activities shift an hour- work, sports, social activities, etc.

The dark winter evenings are challenging, I agree, Christmas lights really help improve my mood during this time of year. I shift exercising outside to the morning instead of evening- it helps to still get outside everyday! Challenging if your commute starts before sun up.
  • healingnurtrer
    The light affects my sleep patterns. If it’s too dark too early it’s depressing and makes me want to go to bed earlier and if it’s too light too early then I wake up earlier than expected. Also I don’t mind the extra hour of sleep when it changes in November.

Yep, I just go to bed earlier and wake up earlier. I decide my sleep schedule based on the sun. It messes with my head though. We have dinner an hour earlier after DST ends, kids' bedtime an hour earlier so we still get the same amount of time in the evening before our "earlier" bedtime. But work ends later so it's tricky. But now we have more time before work... yeah, I'd love to stop doing this twice a year.