Those gyms with the weird weight machines

Options
So you know those weird gyms where the machines don't display weights, but instead just show a number on the plates, for example 1-15.

there seems to be small plates and big plates. The small plates seem to be on machines relating to arms while the large plates seem to be on machines relating to legs.

Is it safe to assume the large plates are 10KG and the small ones are 5kg? this sort of feels about right.

Like for example on a seated leg press when using 14 large plates it sort of feels like what 140kg felt like at another gym, a non weird gym, where weights are listed.

And 4 small plates on a overhead shoulder press sort of feels like 20kg also.

So I guess my main question is do the plates roughly equal 10/5kg?

Why do gyms do this?

Thanks

Replies

• Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    The numbers on the plates don't necessarily have anything to do with the weight. Just find a number of plates(either a number or number of kg) that will challenge you for the number of reps you are looking to do.

Because of the design of machines, you're not going to "lifting" the amount of weight shown anyway, even if the plates are marked in kg or lbs.

Good luck.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    Because of the design of machines, you're not going to "lifting" the amount of weight shown anyway, even if the plates are marked in kg or lbs.

I guess that is true, with the pulleys etc

• youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    I have one like that at my gym. I just googled the brand and make of machine and found out what each plate weighed. I needed something concrete to write in my log.

The inspire FT2 plates are 10lbs each. And there is a little 5lb plate you can add to the top of the stack if you need a smaller increase/decrease.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    good idea, i might google it next time too
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    "So I guess my main question is do the plates roughly equal 10/5kg?"

Depends on the individual machine unfortunately.
    Sometimes yes, sometimes no, sometimes you're using leverage or pulleys so even if the weights are the same the effort needed is different.
    Some are close - at my old work gym "100kg" on chest press machine felt very similar to 100kg free weights and AMRAP wasn't vastly different. (Failing the final lift was safer though when training solo!)

Same gym had a leg press machine but it wasn't just the plates you had to push as you pushed yourself and the heavy seat up a ramp so no real relationship.

My current gym has some plate loaded machines so you are lifting exactly the same weights you would put on a barbell but might be using a pivot or pulleys. I can do a seated shoulder press with far more weights on the plate loaded machine than I could with a barbell. Not using stabiliser muscles is one factor but major difference is I'm using a pivot point and leverage.

"Why do gyms do this?"
    Because some people find machines less intimidating and are happy to measure their progress in numbers of plates instead of weight.

• neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I look at those weird machines and some of the weirdest people using them. So far I don't fit unto / into most of them - but I am looking forward to also be one of those weirdos... :)
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    I look at those weird machines and some of the weirdest people using them. So far I don't fit unto / into most of them - but I am looking forward to also be one of those weirdos... :)

Best of luck. Look at bodyweight and free weight resistance work in the meantime. In many cases you will get a better core workout because your core isn't being supported by a chair/bench.