"On the go" snack ideas

Options
Does anybody have any good ideas for "on the go" snacks? I wanna eat something that is fulfilling so I won't be hungry 20 min later. I like walnuts more than I do almonds, so is that an ok snack? I just don't like the taste of them.

Anyways, just let me know your ideas! Thanks!

Replies

• SergeantSunshine_reused
    SergeantSunshine_reused Posts: 5,382 Member
    Options
    Im wore out on answering this question xD

My suggestion is to use the search function :] there are so many forums with similar and different ideas :D
  • Bumblebee26
    Bumblebee26 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Nuts are great. Maybe a boiled egg, some protein bars and or oatmeal bars. Jerky is also a good option if you aren't worried about sodium.
  • babygurl48
    babygurl48 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    carrots, celery, cukes, crackers to name a few...
  • NanceeK
    NanceeK Posts: 1
    Options
    I always try to take along with me an apple and a cheese stick. If I am on the run and I really need to eat something, I run into the grocery store deli and get one ounce of swiss cheese and 4 ounces of turkey. I get a free mustard packet to put on and roll it up like a burrito...and an apple :)
  • silkysly
    silkysly Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Walmart Great Value - Cranberry Nut Antioxidant Mix (yum yum)
  • bridgettegarzonie
    bridgettegarzonie Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I'm a full time student and work part time so I know exactly how you feel. My lunch break is the 15 minutes it takes me to get from campus to work.

I usually have a Cliff bar as my lunch. It has about 250 calories per bar (more sugar though then I would like) and I pair it with an apple or carrots. I usually eat this aound 1115 ish and won't be hungry again for at least 4 hours. Another good idea are the Special K Cereal Bars. They're only 90 calories per bar and you could eat that as a snack by itself or pair it with some fruit or veggis.

If I don't feel like having a lot of sugar I'll just do carrots or some other easy carry veggie or fruit that doesn't require be kept cold for me to eat it (I'm veryyy picky about food temperature)
  • kasmir8199
    kasmir8199 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    CLIF bars are a good "On the go" option.
  • rawalk14
    rawalk14 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    If I feel like I really need to eat something mid-day, I'll drink a glass of V8 or make some green mint tea. I might have some yogurt, fruit, string cheese, or I will portion something into a baggie or very small container, like:

Dry cereal, Yoplait Yogurt (so many 100 cal flavors!!), granola with yogurt, low-fat crackers, baked chips, pretzels, Dried Fruits (banana chips, mango, pineapple, apricot, raisins, etc...), Nuts, Seeds, Veggies with light/fat free dip (carrot sticks, broccoli, cauliflower, peppers, etc...)

Tip: I find if you are home and hungry for something that you shouldn't be eating, brush your teeth and then swish some minty mouth wash and the craving will go away. Or chew some sugar free gum.

If you get a sugar craving, only eat 2 cookies instead of 5 (2 dark chocolate Biscottie cookies are less cal than 1 Oreo), or 1 piece of chocolate instead of a whole candy bar, or have 1 scoop of ice cream instead of 3 .....eat it slowly, break it into smaller pieces, and really savor it.

-Count the Calories
    -Watch Portion Sizes
    -Eat Frequently
    -Be Careful what you Drink
    -Indulge Mindfully
    -Avoid Artificial Sweeteners
    -Watch Out for Night Eating
    -Know how to Talk Yourself Down!

Several small meals or snacks throughout the day can keep your blood sugar stable and keep your metabolism running at its most efficient, which, in turn, can help keep your body from holding onto excess weight.
    It can also keep you clearheaded and focused; you'll avoid that ravenous feeling between meals, or the "food coma" feeling that comes from stuffing yourself at lunch or dinner. (Which, incidentally, you'll be less likely to do if you've had a mid-morning or mid-afternoon snack.

Just make sure not to go over on your recommended calorie intake and even it out with exercise.
    If you eat really healthy, but then you never exercise, you are just going to maintain and won't loose weight.
    If you hardcore exercise daily, but then overeat or binge on junk food/ food that has no nutritional value, then you are just going to maintain and won't loose weight. You have to eat healthy and exercise, and make it a lifestyle choice, not see it as a diet or a chore.

Snack Ideas When You’re On the Go

-Peanut butter sandwich: Spread 2 teaspoons of peanut butter on 1 slice of whole wheat bread/ whole wheat pita/or half of a whole wheat bagel.

-Peanut Butter and Pretzel Sticks: Pair 1/2 ounce mini whole-grain pretzel sticks -- approximately 11 sticks (65 calories) -- with 1 teaspoon peanut butter (30 calories).

-Yogurt with crunch: Top a cup of low-fat yogurt with ½ cup of your favorite cereal or ¼ cup of your favorite nuts. Or you could add your favorite fruit.

-Green Tea: The next time you're hungry, sip a cup of green tea instead of diving into a high-calorie snack. If your cravings are coming more from thirst or boredom, this may be all you need to satisfy them. Green tea is low in caffeine but high in antioxidants -- and research shows that it may actually help speed up your metabolism so the body can burn more calories.

-Healthy Breakfast Bars made with dried fruit, chopped nuts, granola, dark chocolate (Dark Chocolate is actually good for you in moderation)

-Trail Mix: Keep a bag of trail mix in your purse, desk drawer, or glove compartment. You can create your own healthy mix with your favorite dried fruits, nuts, whole grain cereal, crackers, or pretzels.

-Fruit and Dip: Keep fruit out where you can see it: on your kitchen counter or on your desk so you’ll reach for it before you go to the vending machine.

-Fruits with tougher skin such as oranges and apples might pack in your purse or backpack better than grapes or bananas. Add some protein to the snack by dipping the fruit in yogurt or peanut butter or including a slice of string cheese or a few seeds.

-Vegetables and Dip: Baby carrots are convenient, tasty, and easy to pack. Cut up your favorite vegetables and dip them in hummus or a low fat dip.

-Glass of Milk: Pair your favorite granola bar, graham cracker, a few fig bars, or a piece of toast with a glass of non-fat milk or cup of yogurt.

-Fruit Smoothie: Choose your favorite fruit and blend with non-fat yogurt for a protein and carbohydrate boost.

-Pita Pocket: Spread a whole wheat pita with hummus and stuff it with your favorite vegetables. Spice up the hummus with some cayenne pepper!

-Tortilla Wrap: Wrap your favorite beans or vegetables in a tortilla. Top with salsa.

-Bread and Spread: Toast ½ of your favorite bagel or a slice of bread and top with one of the following toppings: 1-2 tablespoons of low or non-fat cream cheese; cottage cheese

-Hard-Boiled Egg with Salt and Spice

-Spiced Walnuts: Cayenne pepper gives these slightly sweet walnuts a piquant kick. If you have a large pan, you can easily double this recipe. Per serving: 195 calories; 4 g protein; 18 g fat; 9 g carb; 2 g fiber; Serves 8 (makes 2 cups)
    Directions: In a large nonstick skillet, heat honey, oil, and 1 tablespoon water over medium heat. Add walnuts; toss to coat.
    Sprinkle the sugar, salt, cumin, coriander, and cayenne over the nuts. Cook, tossing and stirring until the nuts are well coated and lightly browned, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to a baking sheet to cool completely.
    Ingredients:
    1 tablespoon honey
    2 teaspoons olive oil
    2 cups walnut halves
    2 tablespoons sugar
    1 teaspoon coarse salt
    1 teaspoon ground cumin
    1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
    1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper

http://www.wholeliving.com/photogallery/best-snacks-for-work#slide_9