Stop trying to kill other MFPers - the salt issue

Options
TheMrWobbly
TheMrWobbly Posts: 2,523 Member
edited November 2019 in Food and Nutrition
Okay so that is a bit strong however it is not unusual for people with both low sodium intake and high sodium intake to suffer serious health issues including heart attacks and we, as a group, are not understanding the salt / sodium or gram / milligram requirements on MFP.

Most food packets give you the salt content of a product - not all so check! Salt contains 38.8% sodium. If somebody is already reducing their salt intake and you add a product with 1000 mg of salt and you put sodium as 1000 mg that person is going to think they have had almost half their RDA when they are not even close. I saw a thread where someone thought they had 18,000 mg of sodium - some people take what you put as gospel so please take care.

Most food packets give the salt content in grams as it looks a less frightening number. I see people who had a full chinese with 2 mg of sodium. Try 2,000 mg!!!

Maybe it all balances out, maybe not. Please be a friend to everyone and check what is in the sodium column.

Have a great day!

Replies

• TheMrWobbly
    edited November 2019
    Options
    So for those clicking disagree this is the Harvard page on Salt and Sodium
    https://hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/salt-and-sodium/

Give an argument if you want to disagree.
  • TheMrWobbly
    Options
    Thanks @cmriverside - a good reference point for people to check.

I wasn't asking those that don't have the information to get it, I was asking those that do if they enter food could they check and enter it correctly.
  • nytrifisoul
    nytrifisoul Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Jokes aside, honestly, i don't really concern myself of nutrients, just calories, but i never trust MFP database. I always do a google search and find comparable calorie information.
  • fuzzylop_
    fuzzylop_ Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I don't trust any of the micronutrient information on mfp. The thing that's usually right is calories, and everything else is sort of hit or miss (although macros tend to be right more than everything else). Not everyone cares about sodium so unless you enter it yourself, you can't rely on it. Given the limited amount of data food labels are required to include, mfp isn't all that appropriate for tracking micronutrients anyways.
  • OldHobo
    OldHobo Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Using foods from the database means you'll get items entered by members from all over the world, labeling isn't the same everywhere AND some people won't enter many of the nutrients.
    In technical parlance known as GIGO or garbage in garbage out.

The solution is a curated database but at this stage, there is zero chance of that being adopted here. There are other similar online programs that do limit access or in other ways manage the accuracy of the data. Some MFP members participate in the social aspect of the program but maintain their food diary elsewhere. I am among them.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,111 Member
    Options
    OldHobo wrote: »
    Using foods from the database means you'll get items entered by members from all over the world, labeling isn't the same everywhere AND some people won't enter many of the nutrients.
    In technical parlance known as GIGO or garbage in garbage out.

The solution is a curated database but at this stage, there is zero chance of that being adopted here. There are other similar online programs that do limit access or in other ways manage the accuracy of the data. Some MFP members participate in the social aspect of the program but maintain their food diary elsewhere. I am among them.

Absolutely.

And MFP would lose a lot less of its members if it would differentiate between the Admin-entered items and all the other user-entered ones. Either a separate list, or bolding the text or making it a different color in the list...something.

It's not rocket surgery, but we've been saying this for years.

I thought that was the meaning of the green Verified badge next to certain foods?
  • TheMrWobbly
    Options
    Fair play - the title was meant to cause a reaction as so many people don't engage, it then explained it was a bit strong.

I will keep on updating the products I see every day for everyones benefit and hope the discussion continues.