New scale recommendations

Options
Hey guys. I’ve decided to invest in a new scale (body not food).

I just have one they probably sold in target and it’s annoying me. I was thinking about getting one that had some gadgets, maybe body fat, maybe link to app. Anyone have one that they really like?

Replies

• apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    I would not spend money on most scale “features.” Body fat measurements on home scales, for example, are generally not very accurate.
  • MySlimGoals
    MySlimGoals Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I used to have the weight watchers brand body scale and it was good and did fat. I think there are other brands you can get that are better as they record directly online and do graphs over time. Just go into the store I guess and read all the boxes :)

Also, I found that to make my scale more accurate I had to have my scales on a hard surface because the bathroom lino just did not work. I could literally get on the scale 10 times in a row and would be a different weight each time. I solved that problem by buying a large stone tile from a tile shop and popping my scale on that in the bathroom. After that I got readings that were the same every time in a row.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    I love my Withings Body Smart Scale. It syncs up with trending apps. The Health Mate app then syncs to MFP.

You have to accept that BF readings on scales may be ballpark but never 100% accurate. This scale does provide BF and also the weather.
  • neversaynever_43
    neversaynever_43 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    hroderick wrote: »

Holy cow!! You have that in your house? That’s awesome!
  • lgfrie
    lgfrie Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    If you want the most accurate, precise scale possible, meaning same reading every single time for the same weight; humidity, surface-hardness and angle independent; and same exact reading you'll get as with a doctor's scale: Tanita HD351.

If you want a scale with bells and whistles such as body fat, heart rate, connectivity to the web, etc., there are many of those. I used the Weight Gurus scale for a couple of years and it did the job.
  • chris89topher
    chris89topher Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    LyndaBSS wrote: »
    I love my Withings Body Smart Scale. It syncs up with trending apps. The Health Mate app then syncs to MFP.

You have to accept that BF readings on scales may be ballpark but never 100% accurate. This scale does provide BF and also the weather.

I just bought a Withings Body+ scale yesterday. Do you have that one or the regular Body? It links to MyFitnessPal and so far I like it. I got it from Bed, Bath & Beyond. With a 20% off coupon it was $79.00 which was the cheapest I could find it. Not bad.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    edited November 2019
    Options
    I think the regular body version. Good job on the price!
  • chris_in_cal
    chris_in_cal Posts: 2,170 Member
    Options
    I triple recommend a Withings, least expensive model. I don't worry about accuracy, easy reading, body fat measurements, or anything else, I just want simple wifi daily uploads of my weight. Withings base/cheap model does that perfectly. @neversaynever_43

Do it everyday, same time, weariy the same clothes ( or no clothes) after a week or two or three you will have a trend...that is important. A single weigh-in, not so much, but a trend over a couple weeks, that's gold.
  • neversaynever_43
    neversaynever_43 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Thank you all. I will check out Withings! I was wondering if you had the $100 one or the $60. Connecting right to MFP would be cool. Need to find my BBB coupon.
  • OldHobo
    OldHobo Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Personally, I don't give a whit about syncing or smart features. I would just like to find a scale that measures accurately to within three or four ounces, about two-tenths of a pound, and keeps doing that. All the ones I've had started out okay but with a year or two, they're rounding to a pound or so.
  • fuzzylop_
    fuzzylop_ Posts: 100 Member
    edited November 2019
    Options
    Thank you all. I will check out Withings! I was wondering if you had the $100 one or the $60. Connecting right to MFP would be cool. Need to find my BBB coupon.

It's hard to recommend the Body+ over the Body given how bad home scale bodyfat measurement technology is, but that's the main difference. Everything else works the same. I personally would recommend the cheaper version.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    We have one called Healthometer that I really like. It is digital, which I'd never used before. I like the precision, especially since our previous scale only showed that I was somewhere between 120 and 130 without telling me exactly what I weighed. No bells and whistles though, which is fine because body fat measurement is very imprecise and I don't need a smart devise.