Party People in the Forum!?!

Options
Hey there,

My info: I'm 24 yrs old, 5'10", athletic/muscular build, started at a weight of 248, and am currently down around 50lbs at 198.
Here's my issue: How can I party with my skinny friends without turning back into the big girl with the nice face?

It seems like every time I have a cocktail or two, I gain about 5 lbs that takes me LITERALLY 1.5 weeks to get rid of again.... then I lose another pound before it happens ALL OVER again. Pretty frustrating. I usually only drink vodka-water with lemon, or vodka with absolute zero monster. I even make sure I work out extra hard that day to earn my pointless alcohol calories, or eat less so that I can feel un-guilty about partying it up with my friends. Not sure what else to do, besides not drink when we go out... And I love vodka. Vodka or Skinny?.... Hmmmmmm. I think vodka.

Any other party people have problems with this? Any suggestions on how you get around this? Or any education on why my body turns booze into insta-fat? Maybe if I understand this, I won't want to drink with my friends as much.

Replies

• SergeantSunshine_reused
    SergeantSunshine_reused Posts: 5,382 Member
    Options
    Odd xD I have a ton of drinks and am usually down 2 lbs after as long as i have no drunk food xD
    Options
    also take a look at this recipe! I think you might like :D

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/331367-almond-joy-cocktail
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Have a kid. You will never have to worry about silly things like parties again.
  • ceganmlark
    ceganmlark Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Jealous about the weight loss. You get the next day, dehydrated skinny....
    I get the next week bloat! Hahaha.

Hmmmmm. I am seriously considering this having kids thing now... Lol.
    Options
    I do get pretty lucky!! The carbonation in the monster might be slightly the cause for that maybe xD
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    why don't you go out, dance, hang with your friends and NOT drink? if it takes you a week to lose the bloat of two drinks maybe it's not worth it.

or try to have 2 glasses of water for every drink.
  • ceganmlark
    Options
    WHAAAAT? That recipe sounds amazing.
    Although more calories than my regular, it would be a super tasty change!
  • jennfer71
    jennfer71 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain here! Very curious to see what kind of suggestions people offer for you. I hang around with a very "sociable" crowd and used to regularly enjoy the adult beverages before I saw how much damage one night could do to the diet. Now I am more selective on which occasions I drink. This summer has been very tough though! Too many parties & holiday gatherings. Hate feeling left out of the fun but it's just too hard to work it all back off after one night of fun. :ohwell:
  • doramouse
    doramouse Posts: 160
    Options
    Ignore the above post of "have a kid" - that is unhelpful

I know what you mean - it's hard to drink alcohol and lose weight. I too like my vodka and wine and it slows me down.
    My best advice is to be strict with yourself - about eating real food not processed food. You can eat a lot if it's real.
    Don't skip meals in order to drink. That will defeat your purpose in the long run (oh - I"m telling myself this too!)

And skip the Monster mixers - too full of chemicals. Vodka water/Soda with limes lemon - less calories but watch that you have enough food to not get too crazy (said with love!)

You can have fun and still lose weight - just keep focused and know it will take longer.

xoxo You can do it!
    Options
    WHAAAAT? That recipe sounds amazing.
    Although more calories than my regular, it would be a super tasty change!

I know right!! Having this soon xD Slightly more calories but doesnt have then carbonation so maybe you wont bloat? *shrugs* xD
  • ceganmlark
    Options
    That's the funny part. We danced for hours last Saturday... Sunday I'm up SIX pounds.

I do like the drinking a bunch of water with every 1 drink idea. That might help!
  • lwrwtw
    lwrwtw Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way. Besides having a few with my skinny friends, and my not so skinny friends - it seems like we ALWAYS have something going on to celebrate - and I'm NOT 20 something - I'm 50!! So far just this week looks like: Monday my boyfriend took me out for margaritas after work, then we came home sat on the deck in the awesome weather and had a couple beers.

Tonight - celebrated my brother's birhtday by going out to eat - and I only had 1 drink and gave part of my meal away, made the goal - but it was tuff. All were having cocktails but me.

Tomorrow night - board meeting - then we always go out for drinks and food after.

Thur - no plans yet

Fri - off to the BF's and beers

Sat - Football game = more beers.

HELP!!! STOP the MADNESS!!
  • Ssladick
    Ssladick Posts: 16
    Options
    That's strange, alcohol doesn't affect me losing at all. After a weekend drinking "im still usually down a little.

Here is a interesting article on it http://www.elle.com/Beauty/Health-Fitness/Alcohol-and-Calories-Does-Drinking-Cause-Weight-Gain
  • doramouse
    doramouse Posts: 160
    Options

unhelpful comment and not anything the OP asked about
  • ceganmlark
    Options
    I feel your pain here! Very curious to see what kind of suggestions people offer for you. I hang around with a very "sociable" crowd and used to regularly enjoy the adult beverages before I saw how much damage one night could do to the diet. Now I am more selective on which occasions I drink. This summer has been very tough though! Too many parties & holiday gatherings. Hate feeling left out of the fun but it's just too hard to work it all back off after one night of fun. :ohwell:

You're reading my mind! I've had to cut back soooooooo much. On events and quantities. No fun being the person that says "Thanks, but I can't eat that.... and (NOW) thanks but I can't drink that!"
  • ceganmlark
    Options
    I feel the same way. Besides having a few with my skinny friends, and my not so skinny friends - it seems like we ALWAYS have something going on to celebrate - and I'm NOT 20 something - I'm 50!! So far just this week looks like: Monday my boyfriend took me out for margaritas after work, then we came home sat on the deck in the awesome weather and had a couple beers.

Tonight - celebrated my brother's birhtday by going out to eat - and I only had 1 drink and gave part of my meal away, made the goal - but it was tuff. All were having cocktails but me.

Tomorrow night - board meeting - then we always go out for drinks and food after.

Thur - no plans yet

Fri - off to the BF's and beers

Sat - Football game = more beers.

HELP!!! STOP the MADNESS!!

Ahhhhh! I know! Do you have the same weight gain problems as I do? Or are you a weight loss, alcohol drinking, champion like half these other folks? lol
  • Heidi64
    Heidi64 Posts: 211 Member
    Options

unhelpful comment and not anything the OP asked about

Lighten up people, the guy was joking with the OP. You notice she didn't jump all over him for it.

OP, YES, drink lots of water. Will help avoid hangovers too! :)
  • ceganmlark
    Options
    That's strange, alcohol doesn't affect me losing at all. After a weekend drinking "im still usually down a little.

Here is a interesting article on it http://www.elle.com/Beauty/Health-Fitness/Alcohol-and-Calories-Does-Drinking-Cause-Weight-Gain

That was really a great article. Exactly the type of information I was hoping to find. I am really shocked at how much it changes your body fat burning ability. And all of this may help to understand why my weight gain after drinking appears to be REAL, not just a next day bloat. Thanks. :)
  • silver02bullet
    silver02bullet Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Looks like you drink vodka, but do u drink other hard liquors? I ask bc different liquors react differently on me. Vodka will make me bloat while whiskey makes me dehydrated.

Tough call.

Guess I need to read the Elle link....will do tomorrow when not on phone.
  • ceganmlark
    Options
    Ignore the above post of "have a kid" - that is unhelpful

I know what you mean - it's hard to drink alcohol and lose weight. I too like my vodka and wine and it slows me down.
    My best advice is to be strict with yourself - about eating real food not processed food. You can eat a lot if it's real.
    Don't skip meals in order to drink. That will defeat your purpose in the long run (oh - I"m telling myself this too!)

And skip the Monster mixers - too full of chemicals. Vodka water/Soda with limes lemon - less calories but watch that you have enough food to not get too crazy (said with love!)

You can have fun and still lose weight - just keep focused and know it will take longer.

xoxo You can do it!

Love this! Thanks. As much as I love my cracked out Monster boost, I may have to rely on my new found healthy-person energy, instead of manufactured boosts! And so true on the food. It's a fine balance between I didn't eat a whole lot, so that I can have a drink or two... and I didn't eat a whole lot so, I got wasted face and made an idiot of myself. Thanks so much for the words of encouragement!