Dumbbell question

Options
When I work out with dumbbells, my right arm is much stronger so I can lift heavier weights and do more reps. Should I continue to work each arm according to its strength, which will perpetuate the difference, or limit my stronger arm to what the weaker arm can do?

Replies

• Shortgirlrunning
    Shortgirlrunning Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    I would do equal weights on each side.
  • 84creative
    84creative Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    My right arm is stronger than my left. I can do the same weight but not the same number of reps. If I do 10 reps with my right arm but can only do 7 reps with my left I’ll give my left some assistance to make 10 reps. Usually with a finger under the dumbbell if I’m doing curls. This is not always the case, sometimes I just just do what I can with each arm.
  • jeffjeff85
    jeffjeff85 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    That's the.point of using dumbbells... even out the muscle imbalance. Use a barbell and when it gets hard you tend to either stop or rely on the stronger side, which makes the imbalance worse.
    I always recommend same weight in each hand, but lift them same time ( NOT alternating)
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    Work the weak side first. Then only do as many reps on the strong side as you could complete with the weak.
    Same weight on both sides.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,975 Member
    Options
    I always go for even weights to help avoid any imbalances, which can have detrimental effects under the right circumstances. I still have visible atrophy in one leg from a couple years ago, but purposefully work them separately as much as possible to help even things out as best I can...interestingly enough, the atrophied leg is about as strong as the good leg (except the calf, but there's very limited ROM in the ankle, so that makes sense), but it still looks smaller.
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    I always use the same weight. Mine evened out after about a year of working out.