Advice for keto 1st timer please

Options
Hello! I am interested in keto. I have never done it but am trying to get a meal plan together. I have found a lot on pintrest and just wondered if anyone had any words of wisdom. If anyone has any good or bad experiences, advice, favorite keto recipes or crazy stories they'd like to share I'd love to hear it. 😁

Replies

• LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    Research, research and then research more. Make sure you fully understand what it entails before you start. Know about the specific macros and the keto flu. Visit the various keto threads here to gain more insight.

If you haven’t already, read the stickies at the top of the getting started forum. Very informative and educational.

Buy a food scale. Weigh everything you eat and log into the food diary.

Good luck with your journey!
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    LyndaBSS wrote: »
    Research, research and then research more. Make sure you fully understand what it entails before you start. Know about the specific macros and the keto flu. Visit the various keto threads here to gain more insight.

If you haven’t already, read the stickies at the top of the getting started forum. Very informative and educational.

^^ And give thought to exactly what your motives and expectations are. Keto can be effective for some people for serious reasons.
  • mike_bold
    mike_bold Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    What are your goals? What do you hope to achieve with keto?
  • robinlynnettec
    robinlynnettec Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    First time on keto, having a struggle with my sweet tooth so far i have won but need it to ho away. Please any suggestions
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »
    LyndaBSS wrote: »

^^ And give thought to exactly what your motives and expectations are. Keto can be effective for some people for serious reasons.

Meant to say for several reasons and didn't catch it in time. OP, just bear in mind keto have no advantage for fat loss. But for some in helps with cravings and hunger signaling. For others not. So, why keto for you? What are you hoping to accomplish?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    To add onto what others say. Electrolyte management is extremely important while on keto. What this means, you will need to focus on getting a good amount of sodium 3500-5000mg+, and making sure that you get foods that have plenty of potassium and magnesium, otherwise magnesium supplementation will be needed.

Overall, you just need to restrict carbs (sub 50g.. sometimes sub 30g if you aren't active) and you still want to get adequate protein (~1.5-2.2g/kg). The protein side isn't stressed on a lot of keto channels, but it is definitely important. I would focus on getting whole foods (beef, fish, fatty chicken cuts (like thighs)) , incorporate fibrous veggies (spinach/dark leafy greens, cauliflower, celery, broccoli, chia seeds, avocado, etc..) and aim for good sources of oils/fats (olive/avocado oil, butter/ghee, coconut oil, etc...).
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,900 Member
    Options
    First time on keto, having a struggle with my sweet tooth so far i have won but need it to ho away. Please any suggestions

Berries are sweet for relatively few net carbs. (You subtract fiber from total carbs to get net carbs.)

Some people's sweet tooth is satisfied by "fat bombs" (careful with sugar substitutes - might want to ease into them in case you hate the taste or they don't agree with your digestive system.)

I haven't tried any of these but they look typical: https://greenhealthycooking.com/keto-fat-bombs-3-fat-bomb-recipes/

I'm not keto so made these with regular sugar and they were quite yummy: http://screwedonstraight.net/keto-diet-peanut-butter-cup-fat-bombs/
  • aliciabolser
    aliciabolser Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Lots of informational videos on YouTube that I find helpful. Don’t get overwhelmed by the amount of info...take it slow and talk to your doctor.
  • neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    edited November 2019
    Options
    By the end of the day it is CICO - believe it or not. Any fancy word in front of "meal plan" is just that - our bodies burn sustenance for energy requirements and generally (with serious allergy / ailment exceptions) don't give two hoots where that comes from. BUT - MFP offers the huge advantage that every person can choose and adjust their own, unique macros percentages. No more "cheat days" needed, no more binging for me, no more worries about my specific trigger food. I Just follow the MFP calculations and always learn from all those supportive members, thank you.
  • Marlene1667
    Marlene1667 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I am new to keto as well. I found www.ruled.me to be really helpful. Research is important. The more I read about the more I think it i will be the right diet for me. All the best!
  • Caralarma
    Caralarma Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    If you feel like you can live the rest of your life without carbs then do it. But if you enjoy a variety of foods, who not just count calories on MFP?