How do you keep motivated in winter

Options
2»

Replies

• nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    I run in the morning, so I’m delighted to have some early sun and not trip over newspapers.
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    I do all the same gym stuff and walking, but I'm very aware of when sunrise and sunset are. So I'll shift my outdoor stuff around to make sure I'm getting sunlight on my walks.

I don't know what sort of work you do, OP, but can you walk outside during lunch breaks?
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    My exercise doesn't change much in the winter. I run more, hike a bit less when it's really cold, but that's about it. I prefer running in the cold to running in heat. For the past 5 years I've run a spring marathon, which means I start serious training in December or January for a March or April race. I have a dog who requires walking twice a day, year around. Yes, it's cold and sometimes wet or icy, but he still gets his daily 2-3 miles. As others have said, it isn't a question of motivation, it's just something I do. I walk morning and evening, run in the afternoon. Rest days I do videos or stationary bike.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    I see it as "I'm not motivated to get up and scrape my windshield and go to work when it's dark out but gotta do it anyway."

I tend to work out at home, but I have had gym memberships and I kinda miss that. But going to the gym is a good way to avoid "cabin fever" during the winter. It doesn't set during November, but if you're holed up a lot indoors it sets in January/February.

I like my walks too, and often during the winter I can't really walk outdoors like I can in the warmer weather. It's again, sucks. But I try to see it as an opportunity to do something else for a "season" which does help avoid repetitive injuries (it happens even with walking) and not get burned out on walking.
  • TayaCurragh
    TayaCurragh Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    I can see quite a few of you have said you exercise at home.

I exercise at home however in the winter, it's still dark out when I wake up and I really struggle to get out of bed. I get up between 30 - 45 minutes earlier than when I exercise, so it's very tempting to stay in bed. Does anyone have any tips for this?
  • Pipsqueak1965
    Pipsqueak1965 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym the same amount in winter as summer. Its just habit - I don't let myself even think about it - just grab my bag at 11.45am and go. I probably walk a little less, but still have my walk to work, and walk to shops/library etc.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    I can see quite a few of you have said you exercise at home.

I exercise at home however in the winter, it's still dark out when I wake up and I really struggle to get out of bed. I get up between 30 - 45 minutes earlier than when I exercise, so it's very tempting to stay in bed. Does anyone have any tips for this?

Do what you do if you were going to work or school...set an alarm. Do not give into the temptation to hit snooze. Put the lights on as soon as possible will tell your brain to wake up. But admittedly I'm a morning person so this usually isn't an issue.

Also, your body has natural rhythms and while some people can wake up, roll out of bed and run 5k or deadlift or Zumba...others struggle with that. That don't make them lazy.

• girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,259 Member
    Options
    This is a cliche but I’m not motivated. I just do it automatically because it’s what I’m used to doing. Sorry if that’s not a helpful reply but it’s true for me. Forget motivation, just do it

This is me. I had to get into the mindset that "it's what I do" so that I'd do it regardless of how motivated I was feeling. My motivation is nothing I can count on. It's super high in the morning (when I'm at work, so it's impossible to work out), but by afternoon, it's waning, along with my energy. I found over time that going home and then going back out was not going to work for me. Now, I go straight to the gym. I either lift or swim, depending on the day. Afterward, there is a water cardio class that I usually go to. If I skip the class, there's nothing to feel badly about because it's a bonus workout. I just don't give myself an out. If I do, then those days will add up and before I know it, I'm out of the habit. Habits are about consistency. Results are because of better habits.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,136 Member
    Options
    No much difference for me between winter and summer. My winters are not existent, compared with the rest of the country, and I workout indoor with fitness classes in the morning and the gym in the afternoon.

The advantage that I have between fall and spring is that I can walk to and from the gym, if there is no wind, or that I can add a walk (I don't run) during the week if, I want to.

Our summers are extremely hot so walking outside during the day is not recommended, and I am not getting up a 5AM to do it.