-Question-Macros vs daily calorie goal 11/6/19

Options
Which is important, say I has a goal of 1950 cal Erie’s for the day and I eat one meal but in my macro section of the app it says I’ve went over the amount of say protein I could eat for the day. I’m kinda frustrated because I thought that I was only concerned with the amount of calories I had to make for the day not for the macros ( protein , carbs, fat ) as well. This just makes things more difficult for me. Can I just only focus on my calorie goal or I have to focus on macros as well.

Replies

• LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    edited November 2019
    Options
    If you would do that, it would indicate to me that your meals aren’t well balanced. That’s just my opinion.

At the end of every day, my macros are close to 100%, not because I focus on them, but because my meals are balanced.

You have the ability to readjust your macros if you eat keto, for example, which is low carbs.

The most important thing for weight loss is that you stay in a calorie deficit.
  • Shortgirlrunning
    Shortgirlrunning Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    I don’t really pay attention to my macros at all. I sometimes remember to make sure I’m getting enough protein. I ignore fats/carbs completely. They just fall where they fall.

Just because MFP tells you your macros doesn’t mean you have to focus on them.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,055 Member
    Options
    To add to the above, even if you decide you care about macros (I do, for health!), close is plenty good enough, especially if you're over on one thing one day, and something else the next, so that it pretty much evens out over time. If you're persistently under on protein or fats, it might be worth chipping away at improving that by gradually tweaking your food choices.

The good news is that humans are very adaptive omnivores, and if you didn't start with a doctor-diagnosed nutritional deficiency problem, it'll typically take a pretty long time to develop one while eating in any kind of remotely reasonable way. That means you have time to make needed adjustments without stressing over it or making instant revolutionary changes.

In the short term, if you have a mix of red & green totals in MFP, just pretend it's Christmas. :lol:

Best wishes! :drinker:
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    The-Pyramid-Of-Nutrition-Priorities-v1.1.png