Progressive weight lifting

I started doing StrongLifts about 2 months ago. I know why progressive weight lifting programs are important, but I can't seem to increase my weight as fast as the app wants me to. I know I shouldn't increase before I'm ready to prevent bad form and injury -- but I honestly don't know what rate I should be aiming for. I know that deadlifts will differ in rate of increase from squats, etc. What do you recommend for a beginner? Currently squatting 90, pressing 55, deadlifting around 75, etc.

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Progress at the pace you are comfortable. Otherwise, you will be forced to stopped when you get injured. Alternatively, you can find another program.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    You "could" just add appropriate lower weight but then you are bastardizing the program. A option, but not very ideal. Yet an option if you are only stalling on OHP and other lifts are still moving well.

You "could" use micro plates, but that wouldn't be very dependable unless you are using either the exact same weighted plates or calibrated ones. If SL was RPE based(it's not), then micto plated would be an okay option. Being SL is a LP and you are stalling, it's a poor choice for results compared to other options.

SL is a beginner program and does very well until lifts begin to stall.

If I was coaching you, I would move you onto more advanced programming with auto regulation involved.

Two months in is near the average for a LP usefulness compared to more advanced programming.

Beginner programming simply doesn't even dent your hopefully lifetime of training and there isn't many reasons I would continue unless there is other info that is not revealed.
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    @Chieflrg I don't recall reading anything about fractional plates the first time I went through Strong Lifts some years ago, but now the app supports them and there is some recommendation for their use in the program documentation - specifically the commentary is geared toward smaller humans and our arms.
  • sarko15
    sarko15 Posts: 330 Member
    edited November 2019
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    You "could" just add appropriate lower weight but then you are bastardizing the program. A option, but not very ideal. Yet an option if you are only stalling on OHP and other lifts are still moving well.

You "could" use micro plates, but that wouldn't be very dependable unless you are using either the exact same weighted plates or calibrated ones. If SL was RPE based(it's not), then micto plated would be an okay option. Being SL is a LP and you are stalling, it's a poor choice for results compared to other options.

If I was coaching you, I would move you onto more advanced programming with auto regulation involved.

Two months in is near the average for a LP usefulness compared to more advanced programming.

Beginner programming simply doesn't even dent your hopefully lifetime of training and there isn't many reasons I would continue unless there is other info that is not revealed.

What is LP? And RPE?

It also feels so weird to be stalling so soon. I still feel like I am lifting very light weights (heavy for me) in comparison to others. It definitely doesn't feel easy.
  • wiigelec
    wiigelec Posts: 503 Member
    How is your form? Can you post videos or have a coaching assessment?

Also these 3 questions:
    https://startingstrength.com/article/the_first_three_questions
  • sarko15
    wiigelec wrote: »
    How is your form? Can you post videos or have a coaching assessment?

Also these 3 questions:
    https://startingstrength.com/article/the_first_three_questions

I think it's okay. I worked with a trainer about four times. I'm learning more and more about form as I go -- so actually some of my weight lifted has decreased as I've learned to do it properly.
  • OP I would move on from stronglifts to intermediate type programming. My recommendation is to either check out barbell medicines website for their paid programmes or they do a free 8 week intermediate programme called the bridge or you could buy a book called the muscle and strength training pyramids by Eric helms. On amazon I think.

Or you could check out the thread on lifting programmes which has some free intrermediate options. If you don’t want to pay. I did PHUL for 12 weeks. It was ok.
  • Chieflrg
    @Chieflrg I don't recall reading anything about fractional plates the first time I went through Strong Lifts some years ago, but now the app supports them and there is some recommendation for their use in the program documentation - specifically the commentary is geared toward smaller humans and our arms.

As I mentioned, you can use them with SL. It's hardly the best choice if you have strength gains as a goal. Once again my main resistance to them is of you are not using calibrated plates as a whole coupled with a LP where you are chasing a number on a short term basis.

The plates in a commercial gym are not calibrated. So one day you might be lifting less or more than you did a previous day. By adding micro plates it doesn't necessarily mean you are putting on the weight you think.

Advanced programming would be able to solve the issue of stalling much more effective and efficiently towards the long term goals many have by adding progressive overload more intelligently.

There are many many smaller humans with small arms that are strong. Strength isn't about size, its about adaptation and how ones responds to programming.

SL isn't a program meant to be utilized more the a few months for strength gains when we look long term.
  • Chieflrg
    edited November 2019
    sarko15 wrote: »
    Chieflrg wrote: »

What is LP? And RPE?

It also feels so weird to be stalling so soon. I still feel like I am lifting very light weights (heavy for me) in comparison to others. It definitely doesn't feel easy.

LP- linear progression.
    Useful for someone novel to lifting as they can recover sufficient my to add more weight every session. Once the weight starts stalling, more advanced programming with appropriate volume and intensity is a better choice than squeezing every drop of gains out of a LP.

RPE- rate perceived exertion.
    Something that can be useful when trying to dose a specific stress level with keeping recovery in m ing for long term.

I might dose a RPE 8 at 4 sets of 6 to a lifter. I will give a target weight that will get them in the ball park but there is room for adjustment. So maybe one day a lifter didn't get much sleep, didn't eat much for dinner, or their dog was very sick. The stress from outside life could make a 365x6 squat feel like 385 and end up grindy and near failure. This would be poor for recovery the next session. RPE with proper warm up would allow the lifter to drop weight to the appropriate dosage of maybe 350 and allow for recovery for next session.

Also dont compare others to you especially off a LP. It has no bearing of your capabilities long term...none.

Sorry for length of reply.
  • wiigelec
    wiigelec Posts: 503 Member
    sarko15 wrote: »
    I still feel like I am lifting very light weights (heavy for me) in comparison to others.
    Don’t worry about what other people are doing everybody has different genetic potential and rates of progress.

Just focus on improving what you are capable of doing week to week, month to month, year to year...

• giancarlov1191
    giancarlov1191 Posts: 493 Member
    To take a different route here, how much are you currently eating? Could it possibly be not enough?
  • sarko15
    edited November 2019
    To take a different route here, how much are you currently eating? Could it possibly be not enough?

I'm in a deficit -- 1410 before exercise. I do eat my exercise calories back, aiming for half but usually in full. I'm 5'3" and 145 lbs (from 157) but 32% bf last I checked in September, so I do think I have some fat loss to go. Aiming for being no less than 135-140 lbs before I really go all out on strength. Currently lifting 2-3 days a week and 1-2 days of steady state cardio, which is pretty much all I have time for.