Weekly Weight Loss

frksfrau
frksfrau Posts: 108 Member
Hi all,

I am curious about setting my goal to lose a certain amount of pounds each week. Do you all find that you lose at the set rate? Or, do you lose that set amount as an average over a certain amount of weeks? I know everyone is different, but I am just curious.

Thanks,
E

Replies

  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,971 Member
    edited November 2019
    How much do you have to lose?

    Fluctuations and plateaus are a normal part of the process. I have never lost the same amount per week.
  • Dootzy1
    Dootzy1 Posts: 1,466 Member
    It's not consistent. I feel like if I'm taking care of the calories and exercise, I may lose a tiny .3 lb one week, followed by a bigger drop the next week. The trend going downward is all that is important to me.
  • Shortgirlrunning
    Shortgirlrunning Posts: 1,023 Member
    Right now I’m losing more than my set rate which I think is down to a combination water weight coming off and being more active than I said I was when I set my MFP goal. But I’m giving things a few weeks to figure out what my average really is and then I’ll adjust as needed.

    I tend to lose at a fairly consistent rate when I’m on track with both my diet and exercise. Except the week before my period where my body will just hold onto that weight no matter what I do. But I’ve come to expect it so I know it’ll come off the next week.
  • ConfidentRaven
    ConfidentRaven Posts: 1,428 Member
    frksfrau wrote: »
    Hi all,

    I am curious about setting my goal to lose a certain amount of pounds each week. Do you all find that you lose at the set rate? Or, do you lose that set amount as an average over a certain amount of weeks? I know everyone is different, but I am just curious.

    Thanks,
    E

    One week I might lose only .4pounds, the next 1.8, or like this week 5lbs. It all varies over time based on how closely to my calorie goal I ate, hormones, water retention because sodium/exercise/gd only knows/etc. For MFPs calulations of calorie goals you'll need to set a certain amount of pounds to lose each week, but you'll probably see fluxuations week to week.
  • bold_rabbit
    bold_rabbit Posts: 1,198 Member
    In the past 6 months, I've lost between .5 and 4 pounds in a month. My goal was to lose 20 pounds total. I have lost slightly more than 12 lbs over the 6 months. I expect it to take at least 6 months to lose the last 8.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 24,736 Member
    MFP is giving you a statistical estimate based on sound scientific research. It will be close for most people, a bit off (high or low) for some, and perhaps rather far off for a very, very few. That's the nature of statistical estimates.

    A good plan is to set up your MFP profile with honest values, and a sensibly moderate weight loss rate target, and stick with the calorie goal it gives you for 4-6 weeks (a full menstrual cycle at minimum for premenopausal women). At that point, you can look at your average weight loss rate, and adjust intake as needed. (If the first couple of weeks look very atypical, ignore those and use the later weeks; sometimes whacky water weight fluctuations happen in the first couple of weeks).

    Other people's experiences aren't necessarily indicative of what will happen for you, because of the way the statistics inherently work. I lose faster than MFP expects, by a fair bit. Others lose slower. A lot of people are pretty darned close. Until you run the experiment, you don't know which of those might apply to you.

    Keep in mind that MFP's estimate expects you to log intentional exercise when you do some, and eat back those calories, too. People who are nervous that the exercise calories may be overestimated sometime start by eating back some fraction, like 50%, until they get through that first 4-6 week experimental phase. I estimated mine carefully, ate pretty much all of them back, and lost fine.

    Best wishes!
  • frksfrau
    frksfrau Posts: 108 Member
    LyndaBSS wrote: »
    How much do you have to lose?

    Fluctuations and plateaus are a normal part of the process. I have never lost the same amount per week.

    Thank you for replying. I am unsure what of my ultimate weight loss goal. My thought is that after 15lbs, I will consult my doctor and get her opinion. If I were to try to get to where my BMI is normal which is in approximately 22 lbs.
  • frksfrau
    frksfrau Posts: 108 Member
    edited November 2019
    Dootzy1 wrote: »
    It's not consistent. I feel like if I'm taking care of the calories and exercise, I may lose a tiny .3 lb one week, followed by a bigger drop the next week. The trend going downward is all that is important to me.


    Hi! Thanks for replying. Yeah, I am trying to reverse my trend. I was down almost 58 lbs and gained back 15. I do not want to get back to my starting weight....Ever again! ;) I need to get back to the basics and weigh my food, log it, and stay consistent at the gym. I know this works, but I'm just a bit cranky that I let myself gain again.

    E
  • frksfrau
    frksfrau Posts: 108 Member
    boldknee wrote: »
    In the past 6 months, I've lost between .5 and 4 pounds in a month. My goal was to lose 20 pounds total. I have lost slightly more than 12 lbs over the 6 months. I expect it to take at least 6 months to lose the last 8.

    Thank you for your reply. That is the trend that I noticed in my weight loss. I just get caught up with the little messages of where I will be in 5 weeks when I close out my daily diary. I need to ignore that little bugger.

    E
  • frksfrau
    frksfrau Posts: 108 Member

    One week I might lose only .4pounds, the next 1.8, or like this week 5lbs. It all varies over time based on how closely to my calorie goal I ate, hormones, water retention because sodium/exercise/gd only knows/etc. For MFPs calulations of calorie goals you'll need to set a certain amount of pounds to lose each week, but you'll probably see fluxuations week to week.

    Hi! Thank you for your reply. That is kind of what I am hoping to do. I do get way too optimistic when I see the message after closing out my daily diary and I stayed within my caloric intake. I need to figure out if there is a way to silence that little guy. :smile:

    E
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 3,997 Member
    edited November 2019
    I never "complete" my diary, so I never get that message. As far as I know it doesn't matter if you complete your diary or not :smile:
  • frksfrau
    frksfrau Posts: 108 Member
    Lietchi wrote: »
    I never "complete" my diary, so I never get that message. As far as I know it doesn't matter if you complete your diary or not :smile:

    So maybe I just need to stop clicking the complete button. However, it feels good to close it out and stay under my calorie goal. I usually eat all of the daily calories and half of my calories earned from exercise.

    thanks for the idea!!

    E
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Yeah just ignore that figure that MFP gives you. It doesn't take us long to see our weight loss trends for ourselves.
  • ConfidentRaven
    ConfidentRaven Posts: 1,428 Member
    frksfrau wrote: »

    Hi! Thank you for your reply. That is kind of what I am hoping to do. I do get way too optimistic when I see the message after closing out my daily diary and I stayed within my caloric intake. I need to figure out if there is a way to silence that little guy. :smile:

    E

    You're welcome, and I would recommend a weight tracking app like Libra or Happy Scale if you'd like an idea of knowing where you're going with your weight. I don't know how well it works if you only weigh weekly, I know it's really nice for those of us who weigh daily.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 6,350 Member
    Lietchi wrote: »
    I never "complete" my diary, so I never get that message. As far as I know it doesn't matter if you complete your diary or not :smile:

    This