50 and older

Options
I just turned 50 and I'm noticing that I'm having a harder time lose those 5 lbs that creep on when you are not paying attention. Do I need to cut even more calories as I get older? I'm very active but I'm at a lost.

Replies

• ookoolady
    ookoolady Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    It's pretty common for people to feel that it's harder to lose weight as we get older. There are a lot of reasons that might explain it, but the important thing to remember is that you can still lose weight by reducing calories and/or increasing activity. Be extra careful about weighing and logging everything you eat. Good luck, you can do this!
  • reversemigration
    reversemigration Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    There's good advice in the previous posts. I would add that vigilance with weighing helps me recognize the weight creep early and intervene.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    I'm in agreement with OP: it's harder to lose the weight nearing 60. Factors include being more tired when I'm cutting, yet I need to stay productive and being more inactive over all (in bed at 9).

One approach is to lose more slowly. I've been dropping since August at about .5lbs per week. I exercise about 6 days a week, ~45min per day. And do little things to stay active, like "take the stairs" and 'park on the far side of the lot."
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    It does seem to be harder but its still doable.. I turned 50 this year too and saw weight creep happen for the first time in several years, but I'm slowly but surely getting it under control now - it turns out I had let a few activities slide yet didn't alter my calories in! go figure!
  • kds10
    kds10 Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    I am 51 and losing about a pound per week by eating less. As of today weigh in 2 lbs to goal:) I am also very active I hike and do kickboxing 3 hours a week.
  • JoDavo66
    JoDavo66 Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Hormones!! Had this conversation with more than 1 Doctor. Weight gain was gradual despite me following WW. Since joined MFP instead on advice of Personal Trainer. We are looking at increasing protein further & decreasing carbs. I'm on some prescribed higher level Vitamins & recommended OTC ones - means I rattle instead of 1 single multi-Vit & mineral!! Getting there VERY slowly
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    It's easier after menopause is over with. Hormones are more steady then.
  • Luke_rabbit
    Luke_rabbit Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    The only difference I've noticed is a choice. I just don't want to put lots of time and effort into exercise, especially since my joints and connective tissue are lousy, so I just walk almost every day and do a little yoga/strength training 2-3 days a week. Therefore, I have to eat lower calories than I did when I was younger. I'm losing .5 lbs/week eating around 1350 calories (that includes exercise calories).
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,977 Member
    Options
    I'm 69 and had no problem losing 36# about 4 yrs ago from 196 to 160 and losing another 10# over the past yr.

It just requires discipline and persistence which is required regardless of your age to lose the wt