Nurse working night shift no time to eat alot of nights

Options
I am a nurse working the night shift for 12 hours which is actually 13. Is there anyone else working the same shift. How do you eat. I seem to snack most of the night. I try to calculate everything before I put in in my bag but I find that I do not eat 3 meals. Any suggestions.

Replies

• taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Keep a stash of things that are easy to prepare (or ready to eat) at work...
    whey powder and/or meal replacement powder, quick oats, peanut butter, cottage cheese are a few that i often stock.
  • Missyflo
    Options
    I also work the night shift and a nurse as well. I pack all my stuff and make sure I have enough to have a snack every two hours but only 100 cal. at a time that way I am not always hungry yet only eat around 600 calories. Hope this helps.
  • SoDakRunner
    Options
    When I work nights (i'm a nurse too and work 12 hour shifts), I eat "breakfast" before I go. Then pack a snack before "lunch" around midnight or 1am, a snack around 4am then "dinner" when I get home at 6:30am. I try to make my "lunch" and snacks before I go so that I'm not tempted by all the breakroom snacks. Plus I try to make my lunch something simple that I can eat in a hurry because we all know there are nights where sitting down to eat is just not an option! So I like to pack wraps in whole wheat tortillas that I can eat in a couple of settings if I have to. Hope this helps!
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    I'm a veterinary technician and I work Emergency overnights with a very limited staff. I also work 12-13 hour shifts. Some nights are insane and I barely have time to think much less stop and eat. What I do then is quickly make myself a peanut butter and jelly sandwich (or something just as quick to make) and eat as I work. It's against OSHA regs, but hell. I need to eat.
  • klawRN
    klawRN Posts: 5
    Options
    Thanks for all the pointers. Going to put them into place tonight.