Does anyone live with a hoarder?

Options
Leslietheriot
Leslietheriot Posts: 303 Member
My boyfriend is a total hoarder. I would like to know how other people "deal with" a hoarder.

Replies

• Scarletblue
    Options
    If he is a true hoarder he needs serious help from a therapist, and if you're not living with him you should consider keeping it that way.
  • theslackjaw
    Options
    Actually, my husband and I just moved in with some friends only to find out that they are definitely hoarders. They aren't nearly as bad as some of the extreme hoarders you see on TV but the house is FILLED with junk and there's hardly any space at all. It's definitely hard, as I am a neat freak, and I've taken it upon myself to try and help them clear the place out and make it more spacious and livable but it's definitely a hard process.
  • warlocksmistress
    Options
    I can't deal with it. I throw stuff out and we have major arguments. It's not something I will live with, I don't think. It'll drive me batty!
  • PhatAv8r
    PhatAv8r Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I am a food hoarder. I buy stuff I know I shouldn't eat, and put it in the fridge, drawers, and cupboards. Then over the course of literally months, I suddenly will get a hankering and kill it off (an item). My wife hates it because it tempts her, but it helps me with cravings since I don't feel like it isn't there is I don't want it. Weird, I know, but it works. Until my wife ate my Reese's bits last night, and I had to restrain from strangling her.

Now for the other kind of hoarder, get help.
  • Kym1610
    Kym1610 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Yep my husbad is a horder. He is shirts that are older than I am and he has Uni books from over 20 years ago. I should state that he doesn't even work in an occupation were they would be required. He has mobile phone broachers from various telco's with phone plans and call rates from over 10 years ago.

It drives me crazy, we have a deal at the moment and that is if I don't get a shed by Christmas I am throwing it all away!
  • dckim
    dckim Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    My dad is a hoarder. I think it's an emotional disorder. He is emotionally attached to what is seemingly trash to most people. :frown:
  • KatieCuth
    KatieCuth Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Yep my husbad is a horder. He is shirts that are older than I am and he has Uni books from over 20 years ago. I should state that he doesn't even work in an occupation were they would be required. He has mobile phone broachers from various telco's with phone plans and call rates from over 10 years ago.

It drives me crazy, we have a deal at the moment and that is if I don't get a shed by Christmas I am throwing it all away!

LOL that is quite funny... My partner is also not to extreme but he just doesnt like throwing things away. I eventually did get him to throw some tshirts and clothes away he no longer wears away just last month 4 giant garbage bags. But he still has a draw full of mobiles that dont work and the funniest is digit watches without the band that dont work. Im like what use are these and why keep them.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    No, but I live with 5 really, really messy people. ugh.
  • Liquid741
    Liquid741 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    my ex-wife is one...hated it! if i dont need something i get rid of it...and absolutely cant stand nic nacs and clutter on kitchen counters...thank goodness those days are over...

my ex has a new house with a basement and 2 2car garages...and she parks her car outside for one reason...soo much **** in her house/garage...

utterly ridiculous.
  • Leslietheriot
    Leslietheriot Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I am an extreme neat freak. I do not like things that do not have a place in my home. We currently have 5 dressers in our bedroom. Only MINE is in use. My side of the room is neat and his...well...you cant even walk on his side of the room. We have 2 storage units that are full and a 3 bedroom house that has more stuff in it than any one home should have. The only reason I ask is because he is getting worse. He doesn't realize that it is taking an emotional toll on me and not to mention what it is doing to his children. I have requested that he get help and he just got mad at me. I think tonight I really got the point across and made him think about it. He didn't get mad but he sure looked like his feelings were hurt.