What weight should I be?

Options
I'm 42, about 5'10...weigh about 156. I'm new to working out but want to bulk up and be toned. Should I aim for a weight of 170? More? Or less? Not looking to be "huge" just in nice shape toned

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I don't use the scale to determine what my weight should be. I use the mirror. I suspect you're in the same boat.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,711 Member
    Options
    I agree with @quiksylver296. Definitely keep track of your weight but also take pics and keep track of your measurements. Be consistent with a good weight lifting program and just see how you feel as you progress.
  • kmac0822
    kmac0822 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks....I'm not much of an eater, so I've been calorie counting...trying to get 3000 a day in order to gain more muscle. Don't want to be toned at 154....I want to be a bit bigger
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,409 Member
    Options
    You know that the goal weight you put in your MFP profile has no effect on the calorie goal it estimates for you, right?

You can just decide whether you want to eat at a bit of a surplus (since you want to be heavier), do a good progressive strength training program consistently, get decent nutrition (with adequate protein), tweak as needed based on experience, and see where you end up.
  • Viking_Dad
    Viking_Dad Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    For reference, I'm 5'7" and 185-ish. Not particularly big, but acceptably muscular (imo) so... math math math... maybe 200-210?