Soooo....does making friends on here really help?

Options
The app says making friends will help you lose weight, and the research seems to bear that out. I'm generally bad at making friends online but I'll try anything if it will help

Replies

• steeliebob
    steeliebob Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I think it does for me. Having zero support at home was tough.... I think the ex was actually jealous. The support of a few notes, and likes and feeling obligated to be honest with folks watching are definitely beneficial in my journey!
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    to hear other peoples experiences, struggles, successes and wisdom does inspire me. That being said, I would rather have blunt honesty than just cheerleading all the time, so the forums help in that matter.
  • ellie117
    ellie117 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I like having friends on here who like/comment on my weigh-ins and food diaries, it keeps me accountable. They probably don't feel this way, but in my head I feel like I'd disappoint the folks on my friends list if I messed up or stopped tracking for a while.
  • Cyberbartender
    Cyberbartender Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    It does not help me to loose weight. That is my job, but it certainly helps keeping me on track.
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    edited November 2019
    Options
    I think it's nice to have friends for accountability and someone to talk to and cheer you on

Having friends on a list just won't help you lose weight by their sheer existence. I think many believe this and amass a friend list of a several hundred. I just like friends to have fun with. Some have been become real true friends in real life.

When you send a request though always remember to put in a little note about why you want to be friends. Blank friend requests are a bit creepy. There are so many weirdos here it's nice to know someone is here for the right purposes not just to ogle women or men for that matter.
  • Machafin
    Machafin Posts: 2,988 Member
    Options
    Yes, someone to provide encouragement and/or accountability can be very helpful. Being there alongside of someone with similar goals can really help you to stay motivated when it drops off (as if often does). Add me!
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    I don't really need the friends for accountability, as I'm a fairly disciplined introvert. HOWEVER, I need the experience of others to help me troubleshoot and work around roadblocks I encounter along the way. It saves time not to have to re-invent the wheel every time I have a question or run into something I don't have any experience with.

This year, I'm new to outdoor training in winter. I've gotten so much valuable advice on gear from my friends who like to hike and run year round! I haven't had to waste a lot of money upgrading my wardrobe to do what I want, and I've kept my frustration and trial and error minimized.
  • SageJJ93
    SageJJ93 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I think so! I sent you a request!
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    If you make friends here, you are joining people on a similar journey. They understand the literal ups and downs of weight loss and can offer you the type of support you can’t find elsewhere. You can learn a lot from their experiences.

I’m so glad to have my challenge mates and group mates by my side during this.
  • clord2
    clord2 Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I think it does help. We all struggle now and then and everyone is really supportive. It's nice.